Early look ahead to 2015 recruiting (defense)

BillySee58

DT - seniors: 1 - non seniors: 6

Projected 2015 signees: 3

One of the concerns because we have seen only two of our current d-tackles play, and have only one at or above 300 lbs. Two guys here who could play the nose/1-technique would help out our depth there substantially. We could sign just 2 and sign a big defensive end who would be likely to gain enough weight to move inside and play the 3-technique. Grayshirt Shaq Jackson counts here.

DE - Seniors: 2 - non Seniors: 4

Another likely priority in the recruiting class. Not a lot of d-linemen signed the last two classes so we will likely fill up in 2015. With potentially two senior starters at end, this is a position where getting a JUCO is a very much a possibility. We could get 4 ends, can't see any less than 2. I would say 6 total d-linemen and maybe a tweener or two who could play end or tackle. Although we could use some size to stay at defensive end as well. Grayshirt Jon Graham is counted here, but could move inside if he adds weight during his grayshirt and maybe a redshirt year as well.

LB - Seniors: 1 - non Seniors: 9

Projected 2015 signees: 2

Interesting position. We will only have one senior, and return only one starter. However, we will only have two true middle linebackers when this class gets to campus in 2015 and they will be a then-Senior (Anthony Wallace) and a then-Junior (Fred Scott). Coach Mac has loved signing these speed guys at outside linebacker and it's working quite well, but we could use another thumper in the middle to develop under Wallace and Scott. Could potentially see us signing 3 guys here if the coaches have a shot at getting a good JUCO guy. Keep in mind we have 4 rising junior LBs , so they will all be leaving at once which means taking more than just 1 LB to account for losing Akunne.

CB - Seniors:1 - non Seniors:5

Projected 2015 signees: 2

One of the strengths on the team last year and likely this year. The coaches have made getting solid cornerbacks a priority in recruiting, and we have already offered 3 for 2015. Whitfield has settled into the nickel role very nicely, and getting a guy to groom into that role behind Whitfield for a year before he graduates would be a nice addition in this class. Also could use a good open field tackler like Buyers to have on the far side of the field, with 2014 signee Andrew Jones likely to play a lot on the short side . Could potentially sign 3 guys here.

Safety - Seniors:2 - non Seniors: 4

Another interesting position to watch. An outside shot at looking at a JUCO guy here, just by virtue of the possibility that both starting safeties might be seniors. Not to mention we might only return one strong safety in 2015 in Shilleci. Should be fun to watch the young guys play here this year, including a healthy Warner. I think there's a good chance we end up signing 5 defensive backs total, since we have the spots and maybe an "athlete" type player would fit best in the secondary.

Athlete

Projected 2015 signees: 1

Coach Mac, like many coaches, likes the idea of bringing guys in and seeing where they fit best. These athletes could end up being the running back for the class, 2nd or 3rd receiver in this class, the 5th or 6th db in the class, or anywhere depending on what type of athlete he is. I kind of accounted for an "athlete" ending up at various positions in my projections like RB or WR, so that's why I'm saying just 1 here. With up to 27 or 26 spots and just 17 departing seniors, we have room to take one, two, or a few athletes.

Projected defensive signees: 13

Athletes: 1

Total: 24

SN: However many spots we don't use in our 25 cap for 2015, we will be able to add to our 2016 cap of 25. As long as at least that many players (signees in excess of 25) enroll at midterm.

Current 2015 offers to my knowledge:

• Upvote 5

• 5 months later...

Thanks 03! Glad to see we offered him. Hopefully we offer their transfer qb Kevin Dillman. Kid transferred from California, but we all know the real reason he came to Denton! Lock him up Mac! ;)

http://247sports.com/Player/Kevin-Dillman-20292

Edit: Thank you Miner!

Sorry to bump this thread, but found it very interesting that this Dillman kid (a Nebraska commit) is the backup quarterback to a rising sophomore who transferred into Guyer from Saginaw Chisolm Trail. The third-string just transferred out as well, after transferring in. But Guyer had 4 legitimate varsity qbs, possibly all D1 prospects, playing qb for their team. Never seen anything like this.

http://bit.ly/1mdFT9c

Sorry to bump this thread, but found it very interesting that this Dillman kid (a Nebraska commit) is the backup quarterback to a rising sophomore who transferred into Guyer from Saginaw Chisolm Trail. The third-string just transferred out as well, after transferring in. But Guyer had 4 legitimate varsity qbs, possibly all D1 prospects, playing qb for their team. Never seen anything like this.http://bit.ly/1mdFT9c

The entire QB situation there was crazy

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Billy, what are your thoughts on the Lake Dallas kid? We not offering bc of log jam at DT? He looks like he could beat Syd out of control Moore out from day 1 to me.

Syd is a young kid who has a nasty streak. Exactly what you want in a DT. He was a RS freshman, cut him some slack.

Billy, what are your thoughts on the Lake Dallas kid? We not offering bc of log jam at DT? He looks like he could beat Syd out of control Moore out from day 1 to me.

I wish we'd offer but I don't think he's this automatic offer like many do. I definitely think he's an offer given the circumstances of not having any ends currently committed. But not at DT. At defensive end. He's too small to be a DT. But I don't see us offering, unfortunately.

I too hope Moore turns things around. His explosion off the ball is the best on our team, and I feel like he could squat the entire weight room. But yeah, he needs to star out of trouble on the field.

I'm not sure we even had any visitors this past weekend. Should be ( hopefully ) big weekend coming up

Yup. I like that at least two of our commits are coming on officials (Preston and Wegmann) and hopefully more. Having commits in town can really help persuade the uncommitted visitors. We had at least a few commits in town last year when Tillman Johnson visited. Maybe he still would've flipped to us anyways, but it certainly didn't hurt.