Daniel Gresham

GMG24

RB 5'10 230 held offers from Bama, Auburn, and a whole slew of colleges is now without a spot. His top options right now with offers are UTSA and Colorado State. Surely we could extend a scholarship to him and take whoever comes first X or him. Thoughts??

Petrino came in and pulled his scholarship offer that coach Strong had extended.

I may be proven wrong eventually, but I would be surprised if Ivery is a full-time running back. He's a perfect fit to be the next Chancellor.

That's what I'm thinking. I think we'll take a good back in 2015. I don't think Ivery will ever be asked to carry the ball more than 15 times in a game. But I do think he'll be special here.

Laughing at some of the comments… We can never have too many Rb's in this offense. We also can't have too many guys who also got offered by Alabama and Auburn. You people are delusional.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

It would be better for SMU to get him than UTSA in my opinion. UTSA actually has a competent coaching staff that will utilize him correctly. This year more than ever we're seeing kids who had very high profile offers wait too long and then commit to smaller schools out of the blue. We picked the wrong year to have a small number of scholarships. I know there was no way for the coaches to forecast this problem but we are in a tough spot if we're having to find space for an athlete like Caleb Chumley.

Here's two big guys we were in on at one point or another who are committed elsewhere. I find it hard to believe that if Cedric Johnson had a one on one with Coach Patrick we couldn't flip him from LT.

Committed to La Tech today

http://247sports.com/Player/Cedric-Johnson-22121

Committed to New Mexico

http://247sports.com/Player/Aaron-Jenkins-28647

Laughing at some of the comments… We can never have too many Rb's in this offense. We also can't have too many guys who also got offered by Alabama and Auburn. You people are delusional.

We're having a hard time getting Chumley on board already.

In my opinion, the greater need is on D-Line at the moment, and there is a guy out there who has a scholly if he wants it. If there's a way to get Gresham in without jeopardizing X's offer, great! But to just grab him because he has a 'Bama/Auburn offer when a guy who fills a more pressing need is available is just not what we need to do.

• Upvote 2

It should be noted that Gresham was recruited as a fullback by the major schools who had offered him.

Correct. Don't get this lost in the shuffle. Although he would be a great fit at fullback in our offense. Not sure what position SMU and UTSA are selling him on playing.

Also, the major reason these kids are no longer having committable offers after being offered early in the process is the 25 scholarship per class max. Before, if a coach had 60 scholarship players who were not seniors then he would have 25 spots in his upcoming signing class. Most coaches would likely sign 30, maybe more, in this case assuming that "the numbers would work themselves out" and 5 players would transfer, quit, or be encouraged to transfer. Players still quit and transfer, but coaches can't sign extra kids to account for this.

Because of the 25 scholarship/class cap coaches have to tell kids they don't have room. The big schools sign less kids, and the kids they would've signed trickle down. This will persist as long as the 25 limit exists.

But he's also a kid that could play multiple positions ( RB, slot , safety )

If I had to guess I'd say Jeffery Wilson is given a grayshirt offer unless X doesn't commit and Chumley decides to not wait on us. If we got neither of them then Wilson would have a spot in our 2014 class and wouldn't have to grayshirt.

I still don't see why we don't have room for Chumley and X. We definitely have enough overall scholarships, but by my count we also have enough spots in our 25 per class. 16 current high school commits, 2 JUCOs, 1 FBS transfer, 1 grayshirt, and 3 walkons put on scholarship. 23, then X and Chumley or Wilson and Chumley. Must not be that open and shut, but I just couldn't tell you what the deal is.