2014 schedule release date

10Eagle10

I just hope conference realignment doesn't put the UTEP game at home again and it's in El Paso as originally planned. Even with the likelihood that we'll have more money for travel, it's not likely the other 4 people will want to use it all to get back for games, so a half weekend in El Paso is the best chance I have to catch a game with you guys.

They usually release the conference schedule near National Signing Day so late January or early February should be about right. The nonconference schedule has been released and I don't see any changes coming in it. I would love for it to set up like it did this year with four nonconference games, an open date, and the start of conference play. We will just have to wait a while longer to make sure.

• Upvote 1

The nonconference schedule has been released and I don't see any changes coming in it.

thanks for the response, Huff. Like you, I don't see any changes coming to the three scheduled games, HOWEVER, there is still one non-conference game not officially accounted for since we should have 4. I was hoping someone had some insider info on opponent #4. There had been previous chatter on here that Nicholls State would be playing in Apogee. This definitely fits as Nicholls likes to play multiple FBS (formerly Division 1-A) schools. In 2013, they lost to Oregon and Louisiana-Lafayette and beat Western Michigan for a total of three FBS "paycheck games".

I also like the four non-conference games to open the year before taking an open date and then plunging into CUSA, but I don't think that will happen in 2014 since we travel to Indiana on October 4th. I'm looking forward to finding out non-conference game #4 and the official CUSA schedule. Right now I'm thinking it looks something like this:

Week 1: @ Texas

Week 2: SMU

Week 3: NICHOLLS STATE

Week 4: OPEN

Week 5:

Week 6: @ Indiana

Week 7:

Week 8:

Week 9:

Week 10:

Week 11:

Week 12:

Week 13:

Week 14:

Week 15: Conference USA Championship Game

*bold indicates already announced

I started to insert games each week, but it just seemed like it was going to be a lot of guess work until we know officially what CUSA is going to do. Do we simply flip home and away? Because that could cause some issues, as we'll see in just a moment. In addition, does the East have 7 teams or does the West have 7 teams. I've read in some places where we'll have 7 in the West (North Texas, Rice, UTEP, UTSA, La Tech, Southern Miss, UAB), and I've also read where we'll only have 6 (subtract UAB) and the East has 7 (Marshall, FAU, FIU, MUTS, WKU, Old Dominion, UAB). I tend to think that CUSA will go with a 6 team West and a 7 team East, but I could easily be wrong.

With a 6 team West, we play 5 division foes and 3 cross-division opponents, but with a 7 team West, we play 6 and 2. If we say we play UAB either way, for simplicity's sake then it could be something like this (if we simply flip home and away from 2013):

home:

Southern Miss

La Tech

UAB

another East opponent (ODU, perhaps)

away:

Rice

UTSA

UTEP

MUTS

looking at it like this, I get the feeling that we WILL NOT be returning every trip in 2014. I think we will get one of our fellow Texas schools at Apogee again in 2014. I think I read somewhere where UTSA will be hosting us Thanksgiving weekend. I know that some on the board are hoping for a Houston or El Paso trip, but I think that one of these two will be coming back to Denton. For now, we'll say Rice (although you could easily insert UTEP, or maybe even UTSA, if you so desire). I've now used a Plumm-level of words to basically say absolutely nothing, but at least I've kind of typed out some thoughts, and hopefully we can use this to set a prototype schedule and then see how close we actually get when it's announced, hopefully within the next month.

and now my first guess:

W1: @ Texas

W2: SMU

W3: Nicholls State

W4: @ MUTS

W5: OPEN

W6: @ Indiana

W7: Southern Miss

W8: @ UAB

W9: La Tech

W10: @ UTEP

W11: OPEN

W12: Rice

W13: Old Dominion

W14: @ UTSA

W15: CUSA Championship

• Upvote 5

agreed. Norfolk would be a nice destination with a lot of other activities and side trips that can easily be built in to the itinerary for Mean Green fans traveling to watch our boys play. If we were to go to ODU, I would just switch Week 8 to @ Old Dominion and possibly Week 13 to home vs UAB on the above schedule. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

From brief research, it appears that CUSA is the only conference that hasn't at least partially released the 2014 schedule. why is that, I wonder?

• Upvote 2

Please have only 1 bye week.

For momentum/normality purposes? Or something else?...I see myself going to 11 games this yr (all home + all TX road sans UTEP + IU) because they're all just so damn close (and IU is a special trip) selfishly, I could use a break or two in there...I'm sure from an injury standpoint it couldn't hurt either

Edited by tmjerm

there are 15 weeks on the NCAA calendar (16 if you count Army/Navy weekend). Week 15 is conference championship weekend, which leaves 14 weeks before that. Since we are already scheduled to visit Austin on the first weekend, two byes is a mathematical certainty. The only way we can avoid this and have only 1 bye is if we schedule a game AT Hawaii plus the additional compensatory 13th game. Since Hawaii only has 4 non-conference games right now, I guess it is possible, however improbable

Edited by 10Eagle10
  • Upvote 2

For momentum/normality purposes? Or something else?...I see myself going to 11 games this yr (all home + all TX road sans UTEP + IU) because they're all just so damn close (and IU is a special trip) selfishly, I could use a break or two in there...I'm sure from an injury standpoint it couldn't hurt either

We lost after both bye weeks in 2013 (Tulane and UTSA, both of which were such anomalies that it's apparently the curse of the bye week).

there are 15 weeks on the NCAA calendar (16 if you count Army/Navy weekend). Week 15 is conference championship weekend, which leaves 14 weeks before that. Since we are already scheduled to visit Austin on the first weekend, two byes is a mathematical certainty. The only way we can avoid this and have only 1 bye is if we schedule a game AT Hawaii plus the additional compensatory 13th game. Since Hawaii only has 4 non-conference games right now, I guess it is possible, however improbable

We could ostensibly be off the last week before championship weekend.

We could ostensibly be off the last week before championship weekend.

1) it would still be considered a bye...unless you're suggesting that we will have a losing record in 2014 and, thus, our season will be done following the week 13 game?

2) Week 14 is traditionally "rivalry week" in college football, and I've heard/read chatter that we will be returning to UTSA on that weekend since Tulsa left us for the browner pastures

• Upvote 2

http://www.conferenceusa.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/013013aac.html

"The 2013 schedule has 14 playing weeks, which provides for two open dates for each team. The schedule is a one-year model, meaning that as the conference lineup changes for the 2014 season, opponents may change and locations of games for that season are not yet determined."

- we might make back-to-back visits to the same locale

- it IS possible that we might be hosting a team for a second year in a row

- look for a possible schedule release within the next month

- we will have 6 home games

• Upvote 3

I too would be at the ODU game.... many memories of Hampton Roads and have driven by ODU a billion times

I would love to go. I was stationed at Naval Air Station (NAS) Oceana from '89-93 & love Virginia Beach, not too far from Hampton Roads area. Would recommend it to anyone going to the game. Great vacation area, good views of fighter jets from Oceana.

A LOOK AHEAD AT 2014
*Wed., Feb. 5 - National Signing Day
*February - 2014 Schedule expected to be released
*Late July - 2014 C-USA Football Media Day (date TBA - location tentatively scheduled for Dallas)
*Thu., Aug. 28 - 2014 season opens

From this site http://www.conferenceusa.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011414aab.html

• Upvote 3