Previous Heart Of Dallas Bowl Games, MVP's and Attendance

Harry

It's amazing to think that every year, other than the year we play in it there is a Big 10 team available.

The attendance pressure we are facing - when you factor in our opponent - is more than any other team in the history of this bowl.

Tech, Penn State, Oklahoma State and Purdue all have HUGE fan bases with very established, winning programs in BCS conferences. We have had one winning season in the past 10.

Sorry -- but to expect us to hold up attendance wise to those teams who had name opponents is a tall order.

Heck even Houston had a Heisman candidate, played in the conference championship and was a hair away from a BCS bowl the year they played in it I believe.

Heck even Houston had a Heisman candidate, played in the conference championship and was a hair away from a BCS bowl the year they played in it I believe.

I actaully think that worked against Houston's turnout....they were extremely disappointed to be in Dallas after being so close to being in one of the BCS games. If they'd had more of a 9-3 type season, I think they would have brought more fans.

It's amazing to think that every year, other than the year we play in it there is a Big 10 team available.

The attendance pressure we are facing - when you factor in our opponent - is more than any other team in the history of this bowl.

Tech, Penn State, Oklahoma State and Purdue all have HUGE fan bases with very established, winning programs in BCS conferences. We have had one winning season in the past 10.

Sorry -- but to expect us to hold up attendance wise to those teams who had name opponents is a tall order.

And w/o our having a Big 10 opponent the ticket prices for the upcoming HOD Bowl game should have been seriously adjusted downward. $75 tickets should have been $50 and then our alums who helped the students turning $75 dollars into $25 could have gotten a break on how much they had to pay to lower those.

And 10 days before HOD announced their teams Boston College, Pitt and Syracuse were said to be very interested? Who are the Big D power-brokers who created 2 G5's opponents in a 92,000 seat stadium anyhow? Did they not think we were worthy of a P5 opponent?

I don't get any of this and I will refuse to go into "they're pickin' on our school because of who they gave us to play & still expect P5-type ticket sales, too" ..............but I won't.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I actaully think that worked against Houston's turnout....they were extremely disappointed to be in Dallas after being so close to being in one of the BCS games. If they'd had more of a 9-3 type season, I think they would have brought more fans.

UH far out numbered Penn State fans at the game.

Also, I think if they had a 9-3 year then they would be having difficulty selling tickets like they are right now after their 8-4 year.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle

Also, I think if they had a 9-3 year then they would be having difficulty selling tickets like they are right now after their 8-4 year.

I'm not saying they didn't out number PSU. That was right as all the sanctions were in the air in regards to Penn State - not a good year for them to bring a big crowd. If Houston hadn't been so close to a BCS game they also would have brought more IMHO. You can't compare a Dallas destination with Birmingham.

Knowing UH's football history for most my life, I still refuse to believe they would have had more than 25,000 fans even at that game though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And the only year there wasn't a Big 5 on Big 5 matchup, there was a ranked Houston team playing opposite the Big 10.

We were not getting a Big 10 team, no matter if the whole conference was eligible.

That just the way college football go.

• Upvote 1

As usual, NT has tremendous pressure to turn out the troops. Our opponent should have been a better pick as relates to projected attendance from each school. Heart of Dallas has only themselves to blame if attendance is poor...of course, if weather is bad, it could really be terrible.

• Upvote 3

I really hope we get close to 40k…seems it'll be difficult though. Having 1/3 of the stadium filled won't look too good…having half or very close to half of it filled, looks better. We never filled our 31k stadium, so I'm not too sure we'll get close to 40k or more…hope the AD does more to promote this game. We certainly do have the numbers, just have to convince the normally non-fan, UNT alum, to attend this time.

• Upvote 1

And w/o our having a Big 10 opponent the ticket prices for the upcoming HOD Bowl game should have been seriously adjusted downward. $75 tickets should have been $50 and then our alums who helped the students turning $75 dollars into $25 could have gotten a break on how much they had to pay to lower those.

And 10 days before HOD announced their teams Boston College, Pitt and Syracuse were said to be very interested? Who are the Big D power-brokers who created 2 G5's opponents in a 92,000 seat stadium anyhow? Did they not think we were worthy of a P5 opponent?

I don't get any of this and I will refuse to go into "they're pickin' on our school because of who they gave us to play & still expect P5-type ticket sales, too" ..............but I won't.

You can thank ESPN Regional Television and their shenanigans for this.

• Upvote 1

Knowing UH's football history for most my life, I still refuse to believe they would have had more than 25,000 fans even at that game though.

You'll be lucky to have 25,000 UNT and UNLV fans combined in the HOD Bowl.

Houston has only sold 1300 for BBVA compass bowl vs Vanderbelt

1300!!!!!!!

Vandy sold over 1,000 on day one and is looking to bring 35,000-40,000

Nobody wants to go to Birmingham nor Legion Field.

How many tickets have we sold?UNLV?

Not very many and even less from UNLV.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

I'm hoping this is just the beginning of a beautiful relationship. As with so many other things, we don't have the behind-the-scenes look at what is going on, but I'm hoping that the HoD will consider UNT the "home town team" and is trying to develop a sort of symbiosis whereby they help us grow our fanbase and, in return, whenever possible they give us the nod for their bowl in hopes of filling as many seats as possible and creating a buzz in the region. I know this sounds way too optimistic for a lot of you but I'm looking at our development as a University, a "brand," and an athletics program, and we've really come pretty far lately and with a couple of decent allies (i.e. CUSA and the HoD bowl committee) we could finally turn the corner and catch back up with those who passed us by (Boise, Cincy, Louisville, etc.).

I know it seems to be that our lot in life as North Texans is to embrace disappointment and to expect a meltdown, but let's not always just assume that to be the case. We have some momentum in many areas where previously there was none, and if we can keep that going and get a little help from organizations who see a mutual benefit along the way, we very well may be back on the track that so many of us expected when we registered for classes for the first time at North Texas. Don't ever forget that excitement, that thrill, the possibilities and the unknowns that made you feel as though life had so many great things in store for you when you took that huge step. Even with individual accomplishments, we've all hoped for a better foothold among our peers and though we may at times be jaded, all of that is still within our reach if we continue to hang together and all find ways to contribute.

• Upvote 4

You'll be lucky to have 25,000 UNT and UNLV fans combined in the HOD Bowl.

Nobody wants to go to Birmingham nor Legion Field.

Not very many and even less from UNLV.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too, Coogy' Boy. 1,300 tickets is 1,300 tickets, especially for an aspiring SEC program? (yuk! yuk!)

You seem to have been very quiet of late, though, and that strange silence since we started winning and looking damn good (and loud) on national TV on a Halloween Night when our attendance was better than your school's attendance on the same night. SEC........really?

AND................UNT never had any time as a member of the SWC to have built a fan base tied to local and regional rivalries as UH did, either. After 1 winning season in a decade.....we are on track.to move upward and forward. (Come on now, did yall really need a 40,000 seat stadium to play Rutgers and some of those other AAAAAAC Anonymous schools)?

Would UH fans have spent $75 per ticket to go watch (lets say) a Colorado State from the MWC at any HOD Bowl game? The answer to that is no........... I know Coog fans; hell, grew up a Coog fan and didn't stop observing their program when I transferred from Alvin JUCO to UNT, either. In fact, I followed UH when Bo Burris of Brazosport HS (Freeport) and from my home county was the Coog QB before UH could even spell the word......... "B O W L". I know both school's history pretty damn well matter a fact, so you can't slide anything past me on anything that UH does.

Get along back to your erector set (still way too many visible steele beams for my good and funky lookin') Apogee Wanna' Be Stadium.

Funny you still want to come over here and be a non-stop squatter on Mean Green Land. You UNT haters seem to have an obsession with our school. Wonder what Dr. Phil would have to say about all of your group's compulsive obsession? Or better yet.....Dr. Ruth, perhaps. :)

North Texas Mean Green Fans, Students and Alums:

A UH Cougar Fan (and others) Says We Won't Have 25,000 At Our Bowl Game?

Are We Going To Prove Our UNT-Hater Critics Wrong?

Call This # To Buy Your HOD Bowl Tickets: (940) 565-2527

(If you don't...............we won't)!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

I went to the Ok State v Purdue game last year and there was not 48k people at that game. Lower level was full on both sides from like the 30 to 30 and people sprinkled in here and there. I say there was 30k there at most.

Good info. I'm guessing that they used tickets sold for attendance numbers. I know my sister in law works for Bank of America and they buy up a bunch of tickets and make them available at a discounted price for their employees and families.

I went to the Ok State v Purdue game last year and there was not 48k people at that game. Lower level was full on both sides from like the 30 to 30 and people sprinkled in here and there. I say there was 30k there at most.

It's really hard to estimate crowds at stadiums that big (especially with a crappy angle like this), but I'd guess about 35K + or - a few.

50e32da0c220f.image.jpg

• Upvote 1