• Create Account

Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com Forum

Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com Forum, home of University of North Texas students, alumni and fans.  Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the GoMeanGreen.com family by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Get access to the chat room, member map, arcade, photo gallery and much, much more!
  • Customize your experience here
  • Access premium content and features only available to registered members
  • Registration is simple and easy as we allow use of valid Google, Facebook and Twitter accounts:  Click here to register
Thanks for visiting and as always -- GO MEAN GREEN!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Previous Heart Of Dallas Bowl Games, MVP's and Attendance

Heart of Dallas Bowl Games

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Harry

Harry

Administrator

• Admin
  • 21,222 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

1/1/2013

Oklahoma State 58, Purdue 14

MVP QB Clint Chelf, OSU

ATT: 48,313

1/2/2012

Houston 34, Penn State 14

MVP: QB Case Keenum, Houston

ATT: 46,817

1/1/2011

Texas Tech 45, Northwestern 38

QB Taylor Potts, Tech

ATT:  40,121

"In that first game we played like we did against. A lot of huff and puff but little to show for it." jessyj

#2 Eastwood Eagle

Eastwood Eagle

Mean Green Eagle

• Members
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

1/1/2014

UNT 28, UNLV 13

MVP: Byrd, UNT

ATT: 37,000

ny6yyc.jpg

#3 Harry

Harry

Administrator

• Admin
  • 21,222 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

It's amazing to think that every year, other than the year we play in it there is a Big 10 team available.

The attendance pressure we are facing - when you factor in our opponent  -  is more than any other team in the history of this bowl. 

Tech, Penn State, Oklahoma State and Purdue all have HUGE fan bases with very established, winning programs in BCS conferences.  We have had one winning season in the past 10.

Sorry -- but to expect us to hold up attendance wise to those teams who had name opponents is a tall order.

Heck even Houston had a Heisman candidate, played in the conference championship and was a hair away from a BCS bowl the year they played in it I believe.

"In that first game we played like we did against. A lot of huff and puff but little to show for it." jessyj

#4 CMJ

CMJ

#gomeangreen eagle

• Members
  • 17,794 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Heck even Houston had a Heisman candidate, played in the conference championship and was a hair away from a BCS bowl the year they played in it I believe.

I actaully think that worked against Houston's turnout....they were extremely disappointed to be in Dallas after being so close to being in one of the BCS games.  If they'd had more of a 9-3 type season, I think they would have brought more fans.

"Explain to me how an Apache brave can chase down a runaway mustang and I've got kids who get tired playing basketball." Coach Abe Lemons

#5 PlummMeanGreen

PlummMeanGreen

Poll Tax Eagle

• Members
  • 14,176 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

It's amazing to think that every year, other than the year we play in it there is a Big 10 team available.

The attendance pressure we are facing - when you factor in our opponent  -  is more than any other team in the history of this bowl. 

Tech, Penn State, Oklahoma State and Purdue all have HUGE fan bases with very established, winning programs in BCS conferences.  We have had one winning season in the past 10.

Sorry -- but to expect us to hold up attendance wise to those teams who had name opponents is a tall order.

And w/o  our having a Big 10 opponent the ticket prices for the upcoming HOD Bowl game should have been seriously adjusted downward.   $75 tickets should have been $50 and then our alums who helped the students turning $75 dollars into $25 could have gotten a break on how much they had to pay to lower those.

And 10 days before HOD announced their teams Boston College, Pitt and Syracuse were said to be very interested?   Who are the Big D power-brokers who created 2 G5's opponents in a 92,000 seat stadium anyhow?  Did they not think we were worthy of a P5 opponent?   

I don't get any of this and I will refuse to go into "they're pickin' on our school because of who they gave us to play & still expect P5-type ticket sales, too" ..............but I won't. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen, 17 December 2013 - 08:52 PM.

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL...HERE'S YA' SOME:
                        ............The North Texas Mean Green............ 
                       have (among others not listed here) football wins over: 
                                              TCU......SMU......Rice U
                                           Texas Tech U......Baylor U
                                  U of Houston......Oklahoma State U
                                    Kansas State U...Arizona State U
                              San Diego St U (a Top 20 Mean Green win)
                                Colorado State U.......Brigham Young U
                             Oregon State U......U of Florida...Indiana U
                                 U of Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still
                           arguably UNT's biggest national win in school history)
                                    Boise State U......U of Louisville &
                                  Cincinatti  plus 4 NCAA FBS Bowl Games
                          in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas
                                  has had several NCAA Top 20 rankings !

And A New Years Day (2014) Cotton Bowl HOD Bowl Game Win Over UNLV

before undoubtedly the largest gathering of Mean Green fans in school history 

.............................Approximately 36,000 Mean Green'ers.................................

:schmuck020:                        :schmuck020:                          :schmuck020:

#6 Eastwood Eagle

Eastwood Eagle

Mean Green Eagle

• Members
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

I actaully think that worked against Houston's turnout....they were extremely disappointed to be in Dallas after being so close to being in one of the BCS games.  If they'd had more of a 9-3 type season, I think they would have brought more fans.

UH far out numbered Penn State fans at the game. 

Also, I think if they had a 9-3 year then they would be having difficulty selling tickets like they are right now after their 8-4 year. 

Edited by Eastwood Eagle, 17 December 2013 - 08:46 PM.

ny6yyc.jpg

#7 CMJ

CMJ

#gomeangreen eagle

• Members
  • 17,794 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

Also, I think if they had a 9-3 year then they would be having difficulty selling tickets like they are right now after their 8-4 year. 

I'm not saying they didn't out number PSU.  That was right as all the sanctions were in the air in regards to Penn State - not a good year for them to bring a big crowd.  If Houston hadn't been so close to a BCS game they also would have brought more IMHO.  You can't compare a Dallas destination with Birmingham.

"Explain to me how an Apache brave can chase down a runaway mustang and I've got kids who get tired playing basketball." Coach Abe Lemons

#8 PlummMeanGreen

PlummMeanGreen

Poll Tax Eagle

• Members
  • 14,176 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

Knowing UH's football history for most my life, I still refuse to believe they would have had more than 25,000 fans even at that game though.

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL...HERE'S YA' SOME:
                        ............The North Texas Mean Green............ 
                       have (among others not listed here) football wins over: 
                                              TCU......SMU......Rice U
                                           Texas Tech U......Baylor U
                                  U of Houston......Oklahoma State U
                                    Kansas State U...Arizona State U
                              San Diego St U (a Top 20 Mean Green win)
                                Colorado State U.......Brigham Young U
                             Oregon State U......U of Florida...Indiana U
                                 U of Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still
                           arguably UNT's biggest national win in school history)
                                    Boise State U......U of Louisville &
                                  Cincinatti  plus 4 NCAA FBS Bowl Games
                          in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas
                                  has had several NCAA Top 20 rankings !

And A New Years Day (2014) Cotton Bowl HOD Bowl Game Win Over UNLV

before undoubtedly the largest gathering of Mean Green fans in school history 

.............................Approximately 36,000 Mean Green'ers.................................

:schmuck020:                        :schmuck020:                          :schmuck020:

#9 ragpicker

ragpicker

Diamond Eagle

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

We need to get Dallas alums (young and old) into this game.

#10 UNT90

UNT90

Mean Green Icon

• Members
  • 16,067 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

And the only year there wasn't a Big 5 on Big 5 matchup, there was a ranked Houston team playing opposite the Big 10.

We were not getting a Big 10 team, no matter if the whole conference was eligible.

That just the way college football go.

"We Run.......to set up the Run"  - UNT90

#11 UNT90

UNT90

Mean Green Icon

• Members
  • 16,067 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

People need to remember that these are announced attendance numbers, not butts in seats.

I would bet the actual attendance was 10k less in each game.

"We Run.......to set up the Run"  - UNT90

#12 drex

drex

Mean Green Eagle

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

As usual, NT has tremendous pressure to turn out the troops.  Our opponent should have been a better pick as relates to projected attendance from each school.  Heart of Dallas has only themselves to blame if attendance is poor...of course, if weather is bad, it could really be terrible.

#13 bleedgreen4ever

bleedgreen4ever

Diamond Eagle

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

I really hope we get close to 40k…seems it'll be difficult though. Having 1/3 of the stadium filled won't look too good…having half or very close to half of it filled, looks better. We never filled our 31k stadium, so I'm not too sure we'll get close to 40k or more…hope the AD does more to promote this game. We certainly do have the numbers, just have to convince the normally non-fan, UNT alum, to attend this time.

#14 LakeTravis

LakeTravis

Mean Green Eagle

• Members
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

Houston has only sold 1300 for BBVA compass bowl vs Vanderbelt

1300!!!!!!!

Vandy sold over 1,000 on day one and is looking to bring 35,000-40,000

"There's nothing a little Grey Goose can't fix!" -Head Coach Dan McCarney
www.DJmcLD.com

#15 wardly