Update on UTEP scheduling strategy

Harry

The UTEP football team has traded what would have been a rare seventh home game against Colorado State for a Sept. 27, 2014 trip to Kansas State, athletic director Bob Stull said Wednesday.

The Miners' non-conference schedule now includes home games with Texas Tech and New Mexico State with road games against New Mexico and Kansas State. The game against the Wildcats is a one-time game, as KSU is paying UTEP and won't owe the Miners a return trip to El Paso.

Read more: http://www.elpasotimes.com/sports/ci_24658422/utep-travel-kansas-state-next-year

Exactly... Some smart folks in El Paso.

There are actually. They just may not work for the UTEP athletic department. :)

I wonder if they figure they are going to suck so bad that the payout from a trip to Manhattan, would outweigh the crowd at the Sun Bowl. They still averaged 28,000 in their home games this year.

I also noticed looking at their site that they only played 5 home games this year.

We just have to do more than SMU for OOC games at Apogee. AD/RV did a good job in securing that series, but we can't stop there (and I'd bet he already knows that).

We need to play schools who have been recently ranked in Top 25 polls.

Notice I didn't necessarily say ranked, but recently ranked? Those kind of wins can get us more national attention, votes for rankings and then ranked, eventually. I envy what the MAC has done with their Top 25 voting constituency. It along with a fine NIU team got them a BCS bowl last year, now didn't it?

Our culture has been not to even think of Top 25 rankings, but that part needs to change quickly if we are to remain some semblance of a future player at the NCAA FBS level with other possible opportunities for that future as well.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

We seem to be open on that date.

Any switcharoo we could do to get another home game?

Indiana is a return game. Any creative way to do something there?

Is the ink dry on the Nichols St game?

Would it benefit us to get a winnable FBS game at Apogee vs paying an FCS? Put that $ in our pocket?

I'm sure Colo St still wants to come to Texas.

Edited by TheColonyEagle