C-USA Tie Breaker information

Harry

ECU alum here....just curious about the tiebreaker rules and came across your forum...chose to weigh in.

Now that FAU beat Tulane (who knew?), UNT needs Rice to beat Tulane in their season finale and UNT will win the West.

As long as ECU wins the rest of their games (possible, but we'll see), UNT will visit Greenville, NC and witness one of the best NCAA football atmospheres out there.

But, if UNT and ECU are tied at the end of the season overrall....we'll have to speculate once again!

Good luck, welcome to CUSA and congrats on the success so far.

NT and ECU are tied in the loss column. Seems like a pretty hefty assumption to make with so much football to be played that ECU is a lock to be higher in the BCS standings...

ECU alum here....just curious about the tiebreaker rules and came across your forum...chose to weigh in.

Now that FAU beat Tulane (who knew?), UNT needs Rice to beat Tulane in their season finale and UNT will win the West.

As long as ECU wins the rest of their games (possible, but we'll see), UNT will visit Greenville, NC and witness one of the best NCAA football atmospheres out there.

But, if UNT and ECU are tied at the end of the season overrall....we'll have to speculate once again!

Good luck, welcome to CUSA and congrats on the success so far.

If UTSA beats Tulane this weekend NT takes sole possession of first place in the West since we hold the tiebreaker over Rice.

Curious...how is the atmosphere at UNT?

Attendance?

I'm assuming, with all the comments and support on your forum, it's pretty high.

ECU seats 50,000+ and A LOT of those tailgate...starting early to cook pigs and such.

As an ECU fan, I would like to see a different opponent (UNT) in the Championship game....again, assuming ECU and UNT does their part!

It's building we should have a nice crowd today and I promise you if we manage to get into that championship game at your place we will have a VERY good crowd to make that trip! Everyone on here respects your program and what it has accomplished. We have sort of been on an island in Texas before joining C-USA and had no true rivalries. This year has just been fantastic for our fanbase and unlike SMU etc we have the potential to bring great numbers from out alumni etc. Thanks for visiting the board and hopefully we will get a shot to play you before you guys bolt to the AAC.

Reading more.....overrall shouldn't matter, so my comment above is fruitless.

However, I would have to assume ECU's BCS ranking would be higher than UNT's if both teams were to finish the season without another loss. This is based on the fact we still face NCSU and Marshall.

Kinda depends on whether Ball St. beats NIU in a week or 2. NIU is ranked, Ball St. is 35 in the BCS. They beat NIU, they are top 25.

And we beat them for there only loss of the season.

Interesting times. But 1st, we both must win out.

However, I would have to assume ECU's BCS ranking would be higher than UNT's if both teams were to finish the season without another loss. This is based on the fact we still face NCSU and Marshall.

Marshall is pretty low and NCSt is lower, so I don't know that they will help you. We're kindof in the same boat, but we're hoping Ball St. continues to rise. Ideally, we will be their only loss on the year. If so, that should help us in the BCS rankings tremendously.

We'll have to see about that whole Ball State thing....looks like their schedule isn't that stellar up until now. They'll have something to prove, but you all are correct.....never know what's going to happen between now and then.

:beer: Here's to a Championship game between UNT and ECU....in Greenville! LOL :pirate:

Ball State could have given us a gift with their loss to us if they end up ranked. It could help us move past ECU.

We'll have to see about that whole Ball State thing....looks like their schedule isn't that stellar up until now. They'll have something to prove, but you all are correct.....never know what's going to happen between now and then.

:beer: Here's to a Championship game between UNT and ECU....in Greenville! LOL :pirate:

hear! hear! except that last part about location!

:party0005:

Screw ECU, they are leaving, would rather have Marshall at least they are staying around.

UNT v Marshall in the Big D

• Upvote 2

SIAP, but I didn't see it:

Tiebreaker
The following tiebreaker formula is recommended for the Conference USA Football Championship game:
Two-team tie to determine host
1. Highest regular season winning percentage based on overall Conference USA play.
2. If tied, head to head between tied teams.
3. If still tied, team with highest BCS ranking - as already thoroughly discussed in this thread
Even if we both win this weekend, I foresee a dip for both of us. UTEP will, unfortunately, make us drop (even if we win by 35). And #52 Buffalo will climb, based on their 27 pt win over #55 Ohio, among others. Just hang tight, it's gonna be a crazy season-ending watching those BCS standings
  • Upvote 1

Screw ECU, they are leaving, would rather have Marshall at least they are staying around.

UNT v Marshall in the Big D

And here I was being collegial.....

Do you REALLY think that any team in CUSA would turn down an invite to a conference that has a better TV contract? You're crazy if you think the answer is yes...

Besides, that has nothing to do with this season, this year.....wouldn't you rather play a team that you may never play again?

Do you REALLY think that any team in CUSA would turn down an invite to a conference that has a better TV contract? You're crazy if you think the answer is yes...

Besides, that has nothing to do with this season, this year.....wouldn't you rather play a team that you may never play again?

No, I wouldn't want a defector to be the champ. It's not that I fault you for leaving, but you're gone and ECU or Tulane or Tulsa winning anything doesn't really help the conference as much as is those schools staying in the conference winning.

Just my take.

No, I wouldn't want a defector to be the champ. It's not that I fault you for leaving, but you're gone and ECU or Tulane or Tulsa winning anything doesn't really help the conference as much as is those schools staying in the conference winning.

Just my take.

That's better reasoning than "screw ECU".....

If I were unbiased, I would agree with this take on it. However, I of course want ECU to win, so that is what I pull for!

Also to use your logic, wouldn't you rather play for the title in a beautiful on campus stadium that you may never have the chane to play in again, like Apogee!?
  • Upvote 1