UTEP fan discusses North Texas game

Harry

"Really curious about the fan breakdown vs UNT. We owned SMU in football and basketball at games here in DFW (Don Haskins and Sun Bowl - East) - hope it's the same way againts UNT. Haven't been to a UNT game, but they have the 3rd largest enrollment in the state (behind only UT and A&M), but, don't think that translates to a rabid fan base for them, at least that's what my Brother-in-Law tells me who works at the University and has gone to some games........hopefully, this works in our favor."

read more: http://utep.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=509&tid=192254682&mid=192254682&sid=991&style=2

"Really curious about the fan breakdown vs UNT. We owned SMU in football and basketball at games here in DFW (Don Haskins and Sun Bowl - East) - hope it's the same way againts UNT. Haven't been to a UNT game, but they have the 3rd largest enrollment in the state (behind only UT and A&M), but, don't think that translates to a rabid fan base for them, at least that's what my Brother-in-Law tells me who works at the University and has gone to some games........hopefully, this works in our favor."

read more: http://utep.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=509&tid=192254682&mid=192254682&sid=991&style=2

#hit30k???

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

If UTEP fans think they are going to dominate anyone, especially due to their fan base, they have a rude awakening waiting for them. The Sun Bowl is typically empty when they are losing, and they are typically losing. Even the El Paso Times this week said the Miners found new improved ways to lose this week. UTSA took them behind the woodshed at home last week. Make no mistake about it, UTSA was a big game for them for ego and recruiting.

Their fanbase in EP makes fun of them for losing constantly in football and many still believe they are in the glory days of Haskins in basketball. Pay no attention to these folks. Lots of bark and little bite. The intelligent folks on that board are being realistic. The delusional ones are easy to spot. We just need to stomp them and they'll get back to beer drinking on game day. Much like us during a bad day.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If UTEP fans think they are going to dominate anyone, especially due to their fan base, they have a rude awakening waiting for them. The Sun Bowl is typically empty when they are losing, and they are typically losing.

DFW Miner fans are different than El Paso Miner fans. They rarely get to see the games. They had always brought out a big contingent to smu games, I expect them to do the same no matter how bad they are.

• Upvote 3

If UTEP fans think they are going to dominate anyone, especially due to their fan base, they have a rude awakening waiting for them. The Sun Bowl is typically empty when they are losing, and they are typically losing. Even the El Paso Times this week said the Miners found new improved ways to lose this week. UTSA took them behind the woodshed at home last week. Make no mistake about it, UTSA was a big game for them for ego and recruiting.

Their fanbase in EP makes fun of them for losing constantly in football and many still believe they are in the glory days of Haskins in basketball. Pay no attention to these folks. Lots of bark and little bite. The intelligent folks on that board are being realistic. The delusional ones are easy to spot. We just need to stomp them and they'll get back to beer drinking on game day. Much like us during a bad day.

I don't think fan attendance will make a difference. It may actually make it even worse if their fans are the kinds to be loud at the worst possible times. Their team will have to win without whatever convoluted fan support they think they'll get.

• Upvote 1

I don't think my experience is consistent at all with some of these statements. What is your connection to El Paso?

I don't think my experience is consistent at all with some of these statements. What is your connection to El Paso?

I lived in El Paso for half my life. My family were season ticket holders (football/basketball) growing up, I left for 10 years, then work moved me back for 10 more, and I have been gone for two.

And I must add I do miss the Riv. Great food and bar.

Edited by UNTexas

Unstoppable against UGA and unstoppable against UTEP are very different concepts. Based on the first 1/3 of the season, I think UTEP is the closest we can get to "expecting" a win. Right now everything else looks like it could go either way for us, especially those damn road games...I know everybody pointed out the homecoming factor, but look at it like this: we have 4 road games left. 3 are the opponents' homecomings, and the other is the regular season finale at Tulsa. Yes, most of our away games under Mac have been against decent competition, but still...this absolutely has to be the year that this team wins away from Apogee or #hit6 will be a very unhappy memory.

Having been born in EP and growing up young with the Miners, then moving here and growing up at UNT and SMU games, this 1000 times:

DFW Miner fans are different than El Paso Miner fans. They rarely get to see the games. They had always brought out a big contingent to smu games, I expect them to do the same no matter how bad they are.

One of the biggest surprises we're in for is that UTEP travels really, really well given their situation. While it's not hard to outnumber both of the SMU fans at Ford, UTEP was still quite impressive when playing the Ponies. A good example: most UNT games I bring 1-2 people with me. UTEP, I'm bringing 11.

Having been born in EP and growing up young with the Miners, then moving here and growing up at UNT and SMU games, this 1000 times:

One of the biggest surprises we're in for is that UTEP travels really, really well given their situation. While it's not hard to outnumber both of the SMU fans at Ford, UTEP was still quite impressive when playing the Ponies. A good example: most UNT games I bring 1-2 people with me. UTEP, I'm bringing 11.

I only hope we can return this favor next year at the Sun Bowl. I'm planning on being there.

UTEP is really the Texas team I am most excited about being in CUSA with. There are tons of Miner alumni in DFW and they will show up for FB and BB games. Rice will not travel well even if they are winning because of their anti athletics attitude, and UTSA MAY grow into the kind of program that can bring a ton of people to Denton, but I know that UTEP alumni will show up.