What would you do with "Fly Like an Eagle"?

There has been discussion about lack of tradition and fan involvement at the games. In Fly Like an Eagle, there are parts where fans are supposed to chant "Go Green" and "Go White". What would you like to see happen with this "tradition"?

(For a video reference to this and other chants that unfortunately aren't necessarily strongly followed, see http://www.meangreensports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=1800&id=38547&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=586400&SPID=70831&DB_OEM_ID=1800 . If fans would get strongly engaged with these, I think it would liven up the game day experience, IMHO.)

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

I will be honest. Till last year I did not even know about most of our game day traditions. None of my friends ever got involved in them. We were always real loud and supported the team when we went to games but never worried too much about the chants. Now that I have seen how much they can get the crowd going, I am all for them.

I think there's potential to play both a full length and even a shortened version where there's not time for the entire song.

Why not after a big play but mid-drive where there's not time for the full song, have the band start at the bridge/chant section and just play it 2-4 times through ending with the "go white" chant?

As seen in this video, it takes 8 seconds to get through it twice.

Wait, you think people actually listen to what the band is doing durring the game?

The band is background noise and could be replaced with a PA like every pro-team has done.

Sure they can do the half time show, but no one really cares about the band.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

I think so too.

On the Alumni side, people generally ignore the song.

I wish we could get into it more, but when it's played more often than the fight song, it really kinda becomes a beating.

I tend to agree.

If we are going to stick with these songs and chants, then we need a REAL WORKING cheer staff (and this includes the Talons), who come over to the alumni side and get up into the stands and demonstrate what the cheers are, and their timing, and exhort the fans to participate.

100 years of organized football and it appears that we, and the University, still hope that all this will happen organically and/or spontaneously.

• Upvote 1

Wait, you think people actually listen to what the band is doing durring the game?

The band is background noise and could be replaced with a PA like every pro-team has done.

Do you know even understand how unpopular your post is in this town? I will venture to say that a great majority of the UNT family (students, alumni, administration, faculty, and local citizenry) cares MUCH MORE about the Green Brigade than they do about the Mean Green...

We love music here!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Been going to games since 1986. Fly like an Eagle has always been a fun part of game. It's uniquely "ours". The only thing I'd make a comment about is this. Sometimes, usually in the 4th quarter, they'll play it kinda "slow-jam" still. While I do like the version, they'll play it E N D L E S S L Y... Over and over and over...They'll stop while the team is playing a down, and as soon as the ball is down, they'll start again...then stop, then start... In the 4th quarter, especially if we're losing, to hear the song played slow jam like that, over and over - it seriously sounds depressing... Feels like the team is losing, the band just ran out of stuff to play, and the only thing they can play is super slow...

Anyone else notice that?

A band can fire up the sidelines with appropriate selections. Ours seldom does.