UH to leave the AAC?

10Eagle10

"Either way the Big 12 will look at folks like Boise State before they look at a power house 5-7 Conference USA team such as Houston". - Diamond Eagle

I believe 1 of the 5 wins was against UNT. I don't know why you would talk trash if UNT's record was I believe 4-8 in the Sun Belt.

We're not kidding ourselves. A win against UNT doesn't make that 5 win total any more appealing to the B12.

Now as to why TCU is not playing UNT right now - 1) there's no history between the schools, 2) UNT wants a home & home, and 3) it does little to help TCU - unlike other schools in the area, TCU doesn't have attendance problems or scheduling problems which UNT can fill.

I remember some great games in the Dickey era.

• Upvote 1

"Either way the Big 12 will look at folks like Boise State before they look at a power house 5-7 Conference USA team such as Houston". - Diamond Eagle

I believe 1 of the 5 wins was against UNT. I don't know why you would talk trash if UNT's record was I believe 4-8 in the Sun Belt.

Good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-

• Upvote 4

On top of this, it's not like it was a close game either seeing that they racked up well over 600 yards of total offense and forced their beloved McCarney (who's only a step or two better than Dodge) to quit at halftime. (Which was confirmed by many GMG posters.)

Me and most other TCU fans don't give a damn whether UH is invited to The Big 12 or not but UNT can't in o way, shape or form knock anybody's football performance. Not even Southern Miss who went 0-12 and will take UNT to the woodshed this year.

Hell, if they weren't so pathetic, I wouldn't mind making a series with them and turn it into a 3-way battle for a DFW trophy. (Not the Iron Skillet, too much history in that for UNT to be involved esp since they arent a former SWC school.)

As a matter of fact, I wonder why UNT (or NTSU as it was known at the time) wasn't invited to the SWC while every other Texas school was.

Most other tcu fans like each other. For some reason, they can't stand you.
  • Upvote 1

no major conference is going to take Boise period and especially not the Big 12......just will not happen

Typical AddRan fans forgetting that there was one other state school which didn't get into the SWC - UTEP and forgetting the reason UNT, Houston and UTEP were kept outta the SWC - integration. Still It is true that UNT doesn't have much of anything to say about anyone else's football program - right now.

Now as to why TCU is not playing UNT right now - 1) there's no history between the schools, 2) UNT wants a home & home, and 3) it does little to help TCU - unlike other schools in the area, TCU doesn't have attendance problems or scheduling problems which UNT can fill.

Interesting fact - Normal & AddRan were playing each other before SMU ever existed.

We can talk smack because we're not dumb enough to think that a 5-7 record in any non-AQ conference makes us eligible for the XII.

SMU made a good move in moving the the AAC, but Houston is really getting screwed. It's ended up with the same lot of private schools it griped about taking from the WAC in 2005, which have very limited upsides.

here are a few more interesting facts

1. north Texas did not start playing football until 1913 and SMU was founded in 1911 so it would have been impossible for TCU and north Texas to have played football before SMU was founded....you know 1913 - 2013......the whole 100 years of north Texas football thing

2. the AAC only has 3 private schools total....Tulane, Tulsa, and SMU.......only two of those schools were ever in the WAC......and one of the two schools that was in the WAC was SMU and SMU was the school that UH joined with specifically to move to the AAC together.......so it would be impossible that UH would be upset about being stuck with "the same lot of private schools that they griped about taking from the WAC in 2005" because only two schools from the WAC are in the AAC and one of those schools UH specifically wanted to join with to move to the AAC with.....so Tulsa the other private school WAC team in the AAC is not a "lot" because a "lot" implies more than one......and there is only one former WAC private school that UH would be able to complain about being associated with (if they were complaining about that which I have never seen those complaints because they are made up in your head) because the other former WAC private school in the AAC UH specifically associated with to move to the AAC

3. it would be difficult for UH to be griping about any "lot" of private schools in the AAC because there are only 3 total and one of them is SMU that UH wanted to be associated with to go to the AAC which only leaves two others that UH might not want to be associated with (or that you are making up in your head that UH does not want to be associated with) and two really does not equal a "lot"

4. you have no clue what you are talking about

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On top of this, it's not like it was a close game either seeing that they racked up well over 600 yards of total offense and forced their beloved McCarney (who's only a step or two better than Dodge) to quit at halftime. (Which was confirmed by many GMG posters.)

Me and most other TCU fans don't give a damn whether UH is invited to The Big 12 or not but UNT can't in o way, shape or form knock anybody's football performance. Not even Southern Miss who went 0-12 and will take UNT to the woodshed this year.

Hell, if they weren't so pathetic, I wouldn't mind making a series with them and turn it into a 3-way battle for a DFW trophy. (Not the Iron Skillet, too much history in that for UNT to be involved esp since they arent a former SWC school.)

As a matter of fact, I wonder why UNT (or NTSU as it was known at the time) wasn't invited to the SWC while every other Texas school was.

We never got invited because you and SMU already had the DFW market covered. Back when pro cities actually cared about private schools, SMU and Rice had it good. TCU always got the full support of FW residents, since it wasn't a pro town and they felt slighted by Dallas. TCU has it good now that they found their diamond-in-the-rough in Gary Patterson. He is a perfect fit for that school and town. It wasn't always that way, though.

I don't know if it has ever occurred to you about this, but its not exactly hard to take $hit to UNT fans about our football team. Your rival is SMU, plus you have long histories with Baylor, Tech, and Texas, so you being here to talk crap about us is very telling. As a matter of fact, even SMU doesn't have fans coming over here to trash talk and they are actually on the schedule for a long time in the future. I find it funny that you spend your time over here doing that, though. It makes me think you probably do this sort of thing in other areas of life, too. I imagine you being the guy who scoreboards the homeless guy as you pass him on the street. Youre the guy who laughs at the special ed bus as it drives by your leased BMW. Youre a special kind of loser, to me.

I wouldn't even think about going over to New Mexico State's board right now to make fun of them. It wouldn't have crossed my mind to have ever done that when we actually were decent in the 2002-2004 seasons, either, to any of the other SBC schools. If someone from SMU comes over here to trash talk, I would understand that perfectly, just as I would anyone from a non-AQ conference. But you guys did it right at TCU and built yourselves up from the ashes to a point where your status in today's college football world is on very solid ground. It just makes no sense that you would come over to make fun of our downtrodden football program. Baylor fans, Tech fans, Texas fans, OU and OSU fans, and Aggie fans don't ever come over here to do what you constantly do. Youre a troll, I know, but I'm holding out hope that you might actually read this and realize that you look like a true piece of crap when you post here in the fashion that you do.

We know we have troubles here, both self-inflicted (mainly) and market-wise. But talking trash and making fun of a program that pays its coach 600k while you pay yours well over $2million is just a sliver of the difference between the two programs. Go talk crap to SMU fans on ponyfans.com--they actually play you and they pay their coach in the same financial ballpark, too. We get that you all are included in the AQ cartel and we aren't and won't ever be in that group. It sucks for us and its great for you. Just show a little class about it--like the other AQs seem to do when we read their posts over here.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 3

no major conference is going to take Boise period and especially not the Big 12......just will not happen

1. north Texas did not start playing football until 1913 and SMU was founded in 1911 so it would have been impossible for TCU and north Texas to have played football before SMU was founded....you know 1913 - 2013......the whole 100 years of north Texas football thing

2. the AAC only has 3 private schools total....Tulane, Tulsa, and SMU.......only two of those schools were ever in the WAC......and one of the two schools that was in the WAC was SMU and SMU was the school that UH joined with specifically to move to the AAC together.......so it would be impossible that UH would be upset about being stuck with "the same lot of private schools that they griped about taking from the WAC in 2005" because only two schools from the WAC are in the AAC and one of those schools UH specifically wanted to join with to move to the AAC with.....so Tulsa the other private school WAC team in the AAC is not a "lot" because a "lot" implies more than one......and there is only one former WAC private school that UH would be able to complain about being associated with (if they were complaining about that which I have never seen those complaints because they are made up in your head) because the other former WAC private school in the AAC UH specifically associated with to move to the AAC

3. it would be difficult for UH to be griping about any "lot" of private schools in the AAC because there are only 3 total and one of them is SMU that UH wanted to be associated with to go to the AAC which only leaves two others that UH might not want to be associated with (or that you are making up in your head that UH does not want to be associated with) and two really does not equal a "lot"

meangreener's Daddy?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

meangreener's Daddy?

That will be me. My son has been fairly rebellious lately so please disregard him.

You're making too much sense for most of these guys.

Typical AddRan fans forgetting that there was one other state school which didn't get into the SWC - UTEP and forgetting the reason UNT, Houston and UTEP were kept outta the SWC - integration. Still It is true that UNT doesn't have much of anything to say about anyone else's football program - right now.

Interesting fact - Normal & AddRan were playing each other before SMU ever existed.

We can talk smack because we're not dumb enough to think that a 5-7 record in any non-AQ conference makes us eligible for the XII.

SMU made a good move in moving the the AAC, but Houston is really getting screwed. It's ended up with the same lot of private schools it griped about taking from the WAC in 2005, which have very limited upsides.

We were in the SWC you dummy. Also, we moved to the AAC because we didn't and still do not want to be associated with any school that came from the sun freakin' belt. That being said, there are only 3 private schools in the AAC and all of them carry their own weight whether it's financially, decent football or a strong lineage.

No you can not talk smack about anything. Plus you can tell that you have no idea about how realignment works since you're bringing up our 5-7 record. (one of those wins being us thrashing UNT at The Rob.) Rutgers and Maryland especially haven't been lighting up the field as of lately. It's about market, academics (in some cases), politics and lineage. Rutgers and Maryland have all 4.

We have all four as well since we are in fact ranked in the Top 200 schools in the country and especially politics, which is honestly the main reason why we are on the shortlist. We currently have the 3rd most political power out of all Texas schools and have gotten a lot of funding not just through our donors but because of who we have sitting in the Texas Legislature. (For example, our new Student Union will be completed in January while UNT's is still in blueprint because they're having a hard time getting the approval from the State Legislature. Another example is the fact that we recently blocked A&M from getting a Law School.)

So I highly suggest, you sit down and fo your homework because there's a reason

O this move to the almost-BE was too risky. It was not the right move at all.

I was actually pretty happy in C-USA, and I like UNT's move to the conference. I think there are potentials for some good sports match-ups there. And we'll finally be rid of those Sun Belt basketball refs as well! :thumbsu:

First of all, you KNOW that is considered by most Coogs to be treason. Second, thank GOD you don't make the decisions for UH because not moving at all would have shown that we were content with sitting in a mediocre conference with schools like Marhsall (who has't done jack squat after moving to CUSA) FAU, FIU, UTSA, UNT and other low-tier FBS schools.

I like how people on GMG are trying to tell UH what's best for UH when they don't even put half as much effort in telling UNT what's best for UNT. A hands-off administration (our president often comes to our student section esp during football games, takes pictures and everything), the heavy-handed control over the student section (a 15 page thead over something a spetty as cursing. REALLY?) , butchering its own fight song, lack of commitment to athletics (You guys have minimal athletic fees that narrowly passed through the student body) , lack of political and financial power are among many things UNT needs fixed.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

This is the truth.

GL2G is a real m'fer sometimes, but he's got it right here.

I wish I knew wtf his problem was, though.

• Upvote 1

Maybe they meant before SMU started playing football...? I don't know, did they start a program right after they were founded? If not then maybe that's what was meant.

Also about the mention of Rutgers...do they still have their awesome coach that made them relevant again? I recall him getting offers and I thought he turned them down, but can't remember if they still have the same dude (what the heck was his name? I'll kick myself as soon as someone says it).

This is the truth.

GL2G is a real m'fer sometimes, but he's got it right here.

I wish I knew wtf his problem was, though.

Based on what he's written in the past, he's a real proponent of Dr. Battaille and hates Lee Jackson with a passion.

Dr. Battaille no longer works for UNT: This person all-of-a-sudden has problems with UNT.

There must be some dots in there somewhere.

Greg Schiano. Now coaching Tampa Bay in NFL.

Yup, that's him, thanks. He was one of the components for 2006 being one of the best college football years ever (nationally, not for UNT obviously).

Based on what he's written in the past, he's a real proponent of Dr. Battaille and hates Lee Jackson with a passion.

Dr. Battaille no longer works for UNT: This person all-of-a-sudden has problems with UNT.

There must be some dots in there somewhere.

actually I was not a huge fan of the Dr. B hire.....I thought she was brought in because she was a mid level university person that had no real history of running a major university and would be more inclined to follow along with the policies of a "system" approach (really more like a north Texas system approach) where the majority of the components of the system act as parasites to the main campus.....instead she turned out to have some aspirations of being an actual university president and leading a single main campus of a university system that had other components trying to leech off of that main campus

I had no use for her program to give full rides to high school C students and I thought starting a "peace studies" program was a joke at a time when it was clear that garbage degrees were just that degrees with no real use or prospects for a job.....I had no real use for her looking at McKinney and trying to take an old worn out building from them to make yet another useless system center.....but I did like the way she stood up to lee the idiot when he sucked the system from Denton, when he sucked the computing resources from Denton, and when he tried to stick the Denton students with the expense of buying the refurbishing the UCD (which was completely against what the THECB thought was a good decision) and of course all of those things were what got her fired

so I admire that she wanted to actually be a university president and I admire that she actually wanted the main campus of the system to be the main campus not the main source of funding for other crap down in dallas proper, but unfortunately that got her fired and her other initiatives that were actually accomplished for Denton were just time wasters and showed a desire to keep down the path of being the collect all university of the metromess and the arts and liberal arts and useless degree factory that 20 year do nothing al hurley had created

not all arts and liberal arts degrees are useless especially if properly implemented with a true liberal arts based education model, but the new paradigm of liberal arts being a series of indoctrinations with no room for critical thinking and no real hard math or physical sciences included and worse highly specialized degrees in useless subject fields is killing higher education in the USA.....the engineering programs were all but an after thought under her and suffered greatly with the move to the "research" campus and with the inability of some of them to obtain ABET accreditation in a timely fashion if at all mainly because of a complete and total lack of faculty

so overall she was slightly better than expected, but that was coming from a point of view of VERY LOW expectations and after 20 year do nothing al a jackass would have been better and unfortunately temperamental lee the idiot tyrant is already well established as the overlord of the system with complete and unchallenged authority which is why affable retired guy was brought in and then kept on to be president while lee solidified the rape of the Denton campus....now that is pretty much in the bag they can bring in another al hurley type or move some other current lower level do nothing up to replace VLR and all will continue as before.....trudging along as a source of revenue for dallas economic development projects and growth for the sake of growth and being the leading catch all university in the DFW metromess staying several to many many steps behind some other emerging research universities and watching others move on by academically and most likely athletically as well

I will say though one place I do differ from more and more on this forum is I am a big fan of Sexytime Pizza Man......has he made mistakes....yes he has.....does he need to work on football scheduling.....yes for sure.....have his coaching hires worked out as planned.....no

but overall with everything he deals with on a daily basis from a highly unstable administration with few concrete plans and no real fundraising ability he has done a solid job......if Todge or The Dumpster Fire had worked out he would be Sexytime Pizza Man AD Emeritus at north Texas, but sometimes hires do not go as planned....and I believe he had his hands tied on some other hires like 50 Feet of Attitude and he was hung out to dry by do nothing al right from the start which taught him a thing or two about setting goals in a highly public forum.....but my issues with north Texas are not athletics in nature anyway....too many people on this forum and the forum of other mid-major (and especially lower mid-major) programs want to look at UT or TAMU or Alabama and wonder why the AD does not call the president of the university and say "we are doing this"......well because that only happens at UT, TAMU, OU, Bama Michigam, tOSU and about 8-10 other schools.....the rest take orders from the university president and at north Texas they take orders from the university president handed down by lee the buffoon

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 4

actually I was not a huge fan of the Dr. B hire.....I thought she was brought in because she was a mid level university person that had no real history of running a major university and would be more inclined to follow along with the policies of a "system" approach (really more like a north Texas system approach) where the majority of the components of the system act as parasites to the main campus.....instead she turned out to have some aspirations of being an actual university president and leading a single main campus of a university system that had other components trying to leech off of that main campus

I had no use for her program to give full rides to high school C students and I thought starting a "peace studies" program was a joke at a time when it was clear that garbage degrees were just that degrees with no real use or prospects for a job.....I had no real use for her looking at McKinney and trying to take an old worn out building from them to make yet another useless system center.....but I did like the way she stood up to lee the idiot when he sucked the system from Denton, when he sucked the computing resources from Denton, and when he tried to stick the Denton students with the expense of buying the refurbishing the UCD (which was completely against what the THECB thought was a good decision) and of course all of those things were what got her fired

so I admire that she wanted to actually be a university president and I admire that she actually wanted the main campus of the system to be the main campus not the main source of funding for other crap down in dallas proper, but unfortunately that got her fired and her other initiatives that were actually accomplished for Denton were just time wasters and showed a desire to keep down the path of being the collect all university of the metromess and the arts and liberal arts and useless degree factory that 20 year do nothing al hurley had created

not all arts and liberal arts degrees are useless especially if properly implemented with a true liberal arts based education model, but the new paradigm of liberal arts being a series of indoctrinations with no room for critical thinking and no real hard math or physical sciences included and worse highly specialized degrees in useless subject fields is killing higher education in the USA.....the engineering programs were all but an after thought under her and suffered greatly with the move to the "research" campus and with the inability of some of them to obtain ABET accreditation in a timely fashion if at all mainly because of a complete and total lack of faculty

so overall she was slightly better than expected, but that was coming from a point of view of VERY LOW expectations and after 20 year do nothing al a jackass would have been better and unfortunately temperamental lee the idiot tyrant is already well established as the overlord of the system with complete and unchallenged authority which is why affable retired guy was brought in and then kept on to be president while lee solidified the rape of the Denton campus....now that is pretty much in the bag they can bring in another al hurley type or move some other current lower level do nothing up to replace VLR and all will continue as before.....trudging along as a source of revenue for dallas economic development projects and growth for the sake of growth and being the leading catch all university in the DFW metromess staying several to many many steps behind some other emerging research universities and watching others move on by academically and most likely athletically as well

I will say though one place I do differ from more and more on this forum is I am a big fan of Sexytime Pizza Man......has he made mistakes....yes he has.....does he need to work on football scheduling.....yes for sure.....have his coaching hires worked out as planned.....no

but overall with everything he deals with on a daily basis from a highly unstable administration with few concrete plans and no real fundraising ability he has done a solid job......if Todge or The Dumpster Fire had worked out he would be Sexytime Pizza Man AD Emeritus at north Texas, but sometimes hires do not go as planned....and I believe he had his hands tied on some other hires like 50 Feet of Attitude and he was hung out to dry by do nothing al right from the start which taught him a thing or two about setting goals in a highly public forum.....but my issues with north Texas are not athletics in nature anyway....too many people on this forum and the forum of other mid-major (and especially lower mid-major) programs want to look at UT or TAMU or Alabama and wonder why the AD does not call the president of the university and say "we are doing this"......well because that only happens at UT, TAMU, OU, Bama Michigam, tOSU and about 8-10 other schools.....the rest take orders from the university president and at north Texas they take orders from the university president handed down by lee the buffoon

Interesting....and even more scary is how I agree with some of your points. The Apocolypse must be on its way!

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Other than the fact that our Peace Studies program is actually pretty awesome (look at what most of the grads of that program are doing), I'm curious, has there been a shift to remove math and science from the curricula of people with art degrees? If so, that's a terrible idea. There are so many uses, be they conversational or real-life applications, for a great core curriculum. People with degrees, yet not the faintest comprehension of basic educational foundations (reading, writing, math, science, history) make me think, "Just how low are we setting the bar here?" It's good to have a strong focus on your major area of study, but ignoring everything else (and arguing about how you'll never need it in life) makes one look like a buffoon that might be better served by a correspondence course.