Interesting water cooler talk on that today. My take on it was that the IRS was very likely targeting people, but I wouldn't think it a liberal /conservative thing.

If I were the IRS, and I saw a bunch of people standing in the town square with triangle hats, dangling Linton bags, publicly proclaiming things like the unconstitutionally of the federal income tax, I wouldn't think conservative, I'd think Wesley Snipes.

The IRS is also pretty bitter that it's been so cut back in staff, yet has grander and grander tasks dumped on its shoulders.

I really suspect there's a lot more to this than simply going after "conservatives."

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Wall Street Journal.--"Wider Problems Found at IRS Probe Says Tax Agency Used Sweeping Criteria to Scrutinize Conservative Groups"

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424127887324715704578478851998004528?mg=reno64-wsj

..."The Internal Revenue Service's scrutiny of conservative groups went beyond those with "tea party" or "patriot" in their namesas the agency admitted Fridayto also include ones worried about government spending, debt or taxes, and even ones that lobbied to "make America a better place to live," according to new details of a government probe...."

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This is chilling...no matter which side of the aisle you sit, this is chilling. Certainly an indication of an agency that has crossed the line. Problem is, I have no faith in the current administration doing anything about it as this administration has shown little to any interest in reigning in rouge agencies.

Shameful, but also chilling. Both conservatives and liberals should stand up and demand together that heads roll and policies put in place to keep this from happening again in the future.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The culture of the Obama Administration is unbelieveable. If you cannot trust your President to tell you the truth, who can you trust?

Benghazi, IRS, What else is next?

:lolu:

http://wonkette.com/516074/gop-to-impeach-obama-for-benghazi-just-as-soon-as-they-can-find-it-on-map

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Problem is, I have no faith in the current administration doing anything about it as this administration has shown little to any interest in reigning in rouge agencies.

Kram,

Can you give examples of 'rouge' agencies the President was not interested in reigning in?

• Upvote 2

The fact that the president knew about it for a year, yet didn't comment on it until after a Treasury Dept. investigation was set to be released, and even then only when he was asked about it is just so indicative of an administration that is setting itself up to be remembered as one of the most corrupt in history.

Libs like Greenbat never fail to entertain. If this was a Republican President and the organizations were NOW or Planned Parenthood, he would blow a gasket.

But as long as its his team doing things to the opposition, it's just funny.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Devil's advocate - I can see why the IRS would want to keep an eye on NFP political organizations because those orgs can shield their donors from scrutiny, so it's important that the IRS actually focus on NFP political groups. A major issue is that the tax code for NFP groups is really loosely worded so it's hard to figure out what exactly does or doesn't qualify as it pertains to political action groups. So while the scrutiny needs to be there, it needs to be aimed at everyone.

A couple things of note:

A Bush appointee was in place as the IRS targeted liberal California churches in/around 2006. That same person is also in place now, but since it looks as if this whole thing happened at the lower levels, the presidential administration of whomever the IRS leader was appointed under may be completely irrelevant.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The fact that the president knew about it for a year, yet didn't comment on it until after a Treasury Dept. investigation was set to be released, and even then only when he was asked about it is just so indicative of an administration that is setting itself up to be remembered as one of the most corrupt in history.

Libs like Greenbat never fail to entertain. If this was a Republican President and the organizations were NOW or Planned Parenthood, he would blow a gasket.

But as long as its his team doing things to the opposition, it's just funny.

I'm blowing a gasket over this right now. If the President ordered these investigations and kept it quiet for "about a year" then and the investigation proves this then he should be punished. UNT90 makes it sound like calling me a liberal is an insult. It is not an insult. I'm a proud liberal. He is a proud conservative. I am proud of America and have been since I was old enough to vote. I'm on TEAM USA, which team are you on UNT90?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm blowing a gasket over this right now. If the President ordered these investigations and kept it quiet for "about a year" then and the investigation proves this then he should be punished. UNT90 makes it sound like calling me a liberal is an insult. It is not an insult. I'm a proud liberal. He is a proud conservative. I am proud of America and have been since I was old enough to vote. I'm on TEAM USA, which team are you on UNT90?

I don't call you a liberal as an insult, funny that liberals always take it that way, though. It's just what you are, like I am a conservative. And I don't think you called me that as an insult.

It's just funny that you won't criticize Pres. Obama for knowingly using made up talking points to deny a terrorist attack in the final weeks of a presidential election, knowing that the talking points were not true.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Mark, 'rogue'. Not 'rouge'.

You are correct Chris. Sometimes an I-pad just has a mind of its own. And, sometimes my fingers hit the wrong keys and sometimes I spell incorrectly. Just setting up a line of excuses.

• Upvote 2

The Obama Agenda
--Bail out failing Chrysler.
--TRIPLE our National Debt.
--DOUBLE the Social Security tax.
--Take God out of the schools and Government.
--Instant amnesty to millions of illegal imegrants.
--Seek stricter Assault rifle regulations.
--Treat terrorist as common criminals and NEVER, EVER torture them.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1