Keith Frazier

For the cash they're shelling out they should be.

Rick

Well, we know they have plenty of cash over there. I actually expect them to get better when Jankovich takes over. Larry Brown will get them going in the right direction and then he will leave after this next season or the year after, I bet. But I like Jank--I think he will get them up to the top of their new conference, along with Memphis and Temple. Just too much talent here in the DFW area to not build something up. A good coach at any of the 4 Metroplex schools will do that. We've seen it at SMU when they had Dave Bliss (before he started covering up murders), Killingsworth and Tubbs at TCU, Cross at UTA, and JJ here. Obviously, Larry Brown is a legend, but Jankovich did ok here when athletics got almost nothing from the university, so I expect him to continue to be a solid head coach, just like he was at Illinois State. I like Trent Johnson, too, over at TCU. He has brought teams to the NCAA Tournament at every place he has coached (Nevada, Stanford, and LSU). I think he will do it at TCU, too. Cross is a solid guy over at UTA and I think they will continue to get better over there because of their new facility to recruit to instead of the stage. Metroplex hoops doesn't get much attention, unless you win, I think we will see a few of these teams start to do that at a higher level than we have seen here in decades.

With all due respect Rick, Larry Brown has a reputation that's much different than Coach Benford's!!! I don't think SMU will have to shell out any money to kick UNT in the backside from a recruiting standpoint. I expect almost any Texas D1 team and LSU for that matter to out recruit UNT.

If RV won't do his job then we're just along for the long ride down to the basement. JJ just showed UTN nation what UNT could be, not would be with a "Todd Dodge" like coach!!!

With all due respect Rick, Larry Brown has a reputation that's much different than Coach Benford's!!! I don't think SMU will have to shell out any money to kick UNT in the backside from a recruiting standpoint. I expect almost any Texas D1 team and LSU for that matter to out recruit UNT.

If RV won't do his job then we're just along for the long ride down to the basement. JJ just showed UTN nation what UNT could be, not would be with a "Todd Dodge" like coach!!!

No use, Mike. The wagons have been circled and RV is firmly committed to Benford.

RV's job should be dependent on the outcome, but we are UNT, and that ain't gonna happen.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hate that SMU got Jankovich, but I like the guy. He will get his sweet revenge for what Helwig did to him. We will never get a game with SMU with Jank there. So be it. Thanks Hurley and Parker for hiring Helwig.

I hate that SMU got Jankovich, but I like the guy. He will get his sweet revenge for what Helwig did to him. We will never get a game with SMU with Jank there. So be it. Thanks Hurley and Parker for hiring Helwig.

If Parker had anything to do with hiring the guy who fired him almost a few months after he got here, he was truly in over his head even more than I humanly thought possible. And that is after watching him decide to try an onsides kick after passing up a 4th down chance to go for a td and instead settle for about a 25 yard fg to tie a game with about 20 seconds left in a game. Other team recovers said onside kick, completes a pass, and then kicks game winning FG as time expires. And that was in his 3RD year as the head coach...

Back to the topic--yes, SMU will not be playing us ever again, as long as Jankovich is there. I doubt TCU will, either.

• Upvote 1

UNT90, I understand your frustrations, but I fail to believe the administration will let this continue for too long. Ernie Kuehne that gave $1 million to athletics and just raised a wad of cash in a very short amount of time for the basketball practice facility is a big fan of the basketball program and is now on the BOR. I don't see him investing in the program like he has and letting this go on too long.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UNT90, I understand your frustrations, but I fail to believe the administration will let this continue for too long. Ernie Kuehne that gave $1 million to athletics and just raised a wad of cash in a very short amount of time for the basketball practice facility is a big fan of the basketball program and is now on the BOR. I don't see him investing in the program like he has and letting this go on too long.

Ernie is just one of many. I hope he can focus the BOR on Athletics a little more.

Heck, I hope he can focus the BOR on the FLAGSHIP CAMPUS a little more.

Ernie is just one of many. I hope he can focus the BOR on Athletics a little more.

Heck, I hope he can focus the BOR on the FLAGSHIP CAMPUS a little more.

Call me crazy but anyone on the BOR that has serious skin the the athletics game isn't going to allow it to be squandered.

I hope your right. Next year will be a bad enough set back. Should have been gone at the end of this year. When you make bad mistakes, you should correct them as soon as possible, not hope that some how, some way they correct themselves.

Edited by UNT90

When you say "Parker," do you mean "Uncle Walty"?

• Upvote 1

SMU is going to be pretty stout

A lot of people laughed at SMU for hiring Larry Brown but it might actually work for SMU (not that they'll be a player on the national level but at least they won't be the bottom of the barrel team they've been for last decade).

• Upvote 1

A lot of people laughed at SMU for hiring Larry Brown but it might actually work for SMU (not that they'll be a player on the national level but at least they won't be the bottom of the barrel team they've been for last decade).

Brown has won everywhere he has been. He has also left NCAA violations in his wake everywhere he has been.

SMU won't be different in either aspect.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

This is an email response I received from Bret Ship about a year ago. I had emailed asking what happened to the academic fraud case against SMU that he was investigating, but suddenly went silent. Here is his reply:

"It's cased closed since we found out after that fact that Frazier was given his diploma at Kimball. SMU gave him an on-line course in the summer which somehow mitigated his other deficiencies. Bottom line was Frazier was failing 4 classes at the time school ended and he didn't have the required attendance hours to graduate. All of that magically changed once the SMU coach got involved and the one coach was caught changing his grade."

• Upvote 2

I do think its kinda funny that the UNC academic scandal was basically swept under the rug by the NCAA, who basically said that academics was not under their code of enforcement. Then, SMU (tiny little SMU) has a guy that got a free pass into SMU from the DISD and that sets the NCAA wolves off...

Again, for the umpteenth time, Jerry Tarkanaian's wise words of the past ring true: "Kentucky has violated the NCAA rules, so Cleveland State is about to get hit with some serious sanctions..." Big college basketball power UNC gets nothing, while small private school SMU will probably get about 5 years of probation very soon. Jank will probably be available if we want him again in a season or two!!

I do love the fact that SMU gets to see just how little their cash matters in the big picture of things.

• Upvote 1

I do think its kinda funny that the UNC academic scandal was basically swept under the rug by the NCAA, who basically said that academics was not under their code of enforcement. Then, SMU (tiny little SMU) has a guy that got a free pass into SMU from the DISD and that sets the NCAA wolves off...

Again, for the umpteenth time, Jerry Tarkanaian's wise words of the past ring true: "Kentucky has violated the NCAA rules, so Cleveland State is about to get hit with some serious sanctions..." Big college basketball power UNC gets nothing, while small private school SMU will probably get about 5 years of probation very soon. Jank will probably be available if we want him again in a season or two!!

I do love the fact that SMU gets to see just how little their cash matters in the big picture of things.

Ease up there, big boy. No one has said what the sanctions will be yet. The NCAA may just slap SMU on the wrist and send them on their way.

I mean, this isn't child sexual assault, after all...

Ease up there, big boy. No one has said what the sanctions will be yet. The NCAA may just slap SMU on the wrist and send them on their way.

I mean, this isn't child sexual assault, after all...

I think that's tangential to his point. He's saying that PennSt got off easy because they're a P5 school. SMU (no matter how much money they throw around) is still a "little" G5 school.