Coaching legend has earned Mean Green’s respect

Harry

It's not a "great starting point," it's an unproven and incomplete (still have spots to fill) starting point.

BENFORD was given a great starting point.

As far as RV taking responsibility for everything that hasn't worked out, I wonder if Fly still feels the same way about that after the whopper RV told for the reason we have a terrible, unwinnable 5 home game schedule this year. The Tulsa lie is another in a long line of not taking responsibility, with the despicable blaming of the players 2 years in a row after his terrible hire being the most aggregious.

I also wouldn't count on anyone holding RV accountable for anything anytime soon.

Once again, the wife and I loaded up and went to Birmingham and I got kicked squarely in the nuts. Flew in on Wednesday, went to lunch, spent the afternoon drinking in Todd English PUB, walked to the game, spread my legs, and repeatedly got kicked in the nuts for about an hour and a half, walked back to the hotel, had another drink. Begged the hotel to let me out of the next three nights, called American Airlines and payed their communist change fee, went to sleep at midnight, got up at 430 am, boarded a flight which left at 650 a.m. back to work at 11:00 a.m on Thursday. FACT

God bless you, sir!

I know for a fact with Fran F. it was not about money. The decision was made that Benford was the better choice, with the package of Evans, Lundy etc coming with him. So everyone is correct, if this turns out to be a huge failure, this falls squarely on Ricks shoulders, and I promise you he takes responsibility for his actions and understands the consequences. He has accomplished every goal he ever set out to at this place, including elevating the basketball program. He is going to bring us baseball, (the renderings of the stadium are beautiful according to Don Lovelace). We have to win in FB, MBB, and WBB. He hired Johnny Jones and had no control over him leaving.

We have a core donor base in place that within reason will make sure hiring coaches will be about the best candidate, not money. This hire was not about money.

You kept on saying its not about the money. Why hasn't RV fired Benford, any other CEO would of been fired. Are you trying to compare Benford to Reed Hastings (Netflix CEO)? Everyone was calling for this head when the stock dropped from $350 a share all the way down to $60, now its back up to $440.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And one other thing about the talent that benford was left. Leave mitchell out. yes he had talent, unbelievable talent. With the guys that are left, and run it down. Tell me who the talent was? Please? because i think they were way overrated.

We only lost Kedrick Hogans and Tyler Hall from Johnny's last team that came within a shot of winning the conference championship. In a one bid (most of the time) league like CUSA, I really only care about what happens in the conference tournament.

Benford can't get it done in the conference tournament, or any neutral court for that matter- FACT

I will say one thing about the fran fruckzilla thing. If he was so good, why is he still a commentator and not a coach? My point about the money was that hiring coach benford over any other candidate was not about money.

Maybe he was looking for a coaching job where he would still get to live at home in Dallas and have the opportunity to coach a talented group of players that he knew?

• Upvote 1

And one other thing about the talent that benford was left. Leave mitchell out. yes he had talent, unbelievable talent. With the guys that are left, and run it down. Tell me who the talent was? Please? because i think they were way overrated.

It was the same exact talent that had gotten to the Belt tourney final the year before, except they got to that tourney final WITHOUT Jordan Williams and Chris Jones, the same Chris Jones that Benford said preseason 2012 "could start for any team in the Big East." So you could say Benford ADDED talent. And added talent to a team that won 18 games and was a hair away from an NCAA bid.

But keep on believing that crap sandwich you are being fed. We will be here (maybe), suffering again next season, after which MAYBE this BS of protecting a terrible coach will end and he will be dismissed 4 years after he should have been dismissed.

But I'm sure the RV excuses will flow like wine when that day arrives.

I mean, it's what we do here.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Brandan Walton was a fairly decent shooter and he got injured right off the bat. I do think he could have helped spread the floor in Benford's first season, but he wasn't worth 6-10 wins or anything.

Isn't Alzee top fifteen scoring all time for NT? Something like that anyway. So, you had a top ten (Jordan) and top fifteen (Alzee) scorer, plus a gritty inside guy (Roger), and a ridiculously smooth point guard (CJ) in addition to our all time leading shot blocker (Mitchell), who had a toolbox of other skills.

There is no way that team should have been 12-20.

When the only thing he does is post to defend Benford, why would he expect people to think he is on the fence?

Also, personal? Everything I have posted has been about Fly's opinion about UNT basketball. Not that I care, but a quick review would show Fly to be the bigger offender in this area.

I have zero influence with Fly, and I don't want any (nothing personal, Fly). What I want is for UNT to start acting like an FBS athletic program.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kl4Uh5nOFAg

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1