Banowsky likes Western Kentucky

Harry

I do think there is room for more growth. I have a lot of respect for Western Kentucky, and the leadership up there is great. The university is really nice. I dont know if youve been there (to a TV reporter), but it sets up really well. There is potential for more growth in the conference, and you never know in this day as college athletics change. We are poised to move forward if we need to. I like Western Kentucky.

Read more: http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2013/feb/14/former-ceo-sega-arcade-restaurant-bar-fun-dining/

NO! I have nothing against considering the hilltoppers if we loose a few members, but right now the conference has already put itself in a corner by adding too quickly once. I still think C-USA would be in a better position if old dominion and particularly Charlotte had not been added in a forseeably futile effort to hold ECU.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Given that CUSA is in the process of adding two startup programs and has added one program that bypassed the full transitional process, Western Kentucky makes a lot of sense. But, if I were Louisiana and Arkansas State, I'd be pissed.

Banowsky had previously made a big deal over TV markets so it's somewhat a mystery that he'd take the #182 market, which is near the bottom of the FBS. Okay, Arkansas State is only one notch above with about 2,000 more TV households but Lafayette has about 150K more sets than Bowling Green.

Both Louisiana and Arkansas State have 30,000+ football stadiums; WKU's stadium seats 23,500. Western Kentucky, even with its storied basketball past, has a much smaller arena than both Louisiana and Arky State. Facilities advantage to the Cajuns and the Red Wolves.

Time in grade? Western has completed five years in the FBS. Both Louisiana and Arkansas State have been in Division 1A for more than 25 years.

Maybe it's their football record then? Well, no. In the past two years (WKU's only winning years) Arkansas State is 20-5; Louisiana is 18-8; and Western is 14-11.

It can't be attendance either. Last year was WKU's best ever and they averaged a little over 17,400. Arkansas State had their best year ever, with an average of more than 25K and Louisiana averaged roughly 23,500. And, the Cajuns were largely responsible for a New Orleans Bowl record 48,800. The year before Louisiana had averaged 29,000+ regular-season attendance.

Western Kentucky is a little better at most of the other sports except baseball, where Louisiana has had a pretty colorful past. Is that enough to make them sexier and put them ahead of two more-qualified candidates?

• Upvote 3

I don't believe WKU is the pick to replace Tulsa. Screws the divisons up.

Now tell me that if Tulsa leaves CUSA goes to 16 and takes WKU and two of ASU, ULL, and NMSU, that contains some logic.

Then you have a West division of UNT, UTSA, UTEP, Rice, La.Tech, USM (pick two of ASU, ULL, NMSU).

The West makes some sense. It follows the footprint that served the SWC for 75 years until national TV rights took over the game. It puts the West in every market served by Fox SW and the Fox SW subsidaries except for Oklahoma and one of New Mexico and Arkansas (unless ULL is left out). Remeber Fox is half the TV deal so regional matters to them more than national audience.

The East makes a lot of sense with Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, FIU, FAU, UAB, WKU, MTSU. WKU brings additional Fox South interest and the east looks like a really good basketball league.

Now does that happen? Got me but that is a much better line-up for dealing with Fox in the next TV deal than replacing Tulsa with WKU.

I don't believe WKU is the pick to replace Tulsa. Screws the divisons up.

Now tell me that if Tulsa leaves CUSA goes to 16 and takes WKU and two of ASU, ULL, and NMSU, that contains some logic.

Then you have a West division of UNT, UTSA, UTEP, Rice, La.Tech, USM (pick two of ASU, ULL, NMSU).

The West makes some sense. It follows the footprint that served the SWC for 75 years until national TV rights took over the game. It puts the West in every market served by Fox SW and the Fox SW subsidaries except for Oklahoma and one of New Mexico and Arkansas (unless ULL is left out). Remeber Fox is half the TV deal so regional matters to them more than national audience.

The East makes a lot of sense with Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, FIU, FAU, UAB, WKU, MTSU. WKU brings additional Fox South interest and the east looks like a really good basketball league.

Now does that happen? Got me but that is a much better line-up for dealing with Fox in the next TV deal than replacing Tulsa with WKU.

WKU over ULL and/or Arkansas State.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't get the WKU love AT ALL.

Bowling Green is one of the 29 TV markets actually smaller than Jonesboro.

In 2011 with a winning team they averaged 15,310 in Bowling Green and hosted Navy in the home opener and didn't hit 20,000.

This year drew 17,415 at home.

ASU in 2011 21,257

ASU in 2012 26,398

ULL in 2011 29,171

ULL in 2012 22,865

Bigger budget. Much better basketball. Football now on the upswing. Just better overall strength as a conference mate (my opinion). Arkansas State and ULL are exactly where the should be; in the Sun Belt.

The past four seasons WKU has won five fewer Sun Belt basketball games than Arkansas State.

I'm quite content with the Sun Belt as long as ULL is in the league, I like where the league is headed in football but not getting the crown and purple robes for the blobs.

I don't get the WKU love AT ALL.

Bowling Green is one of the 29 TV markets actually smaller than Jonesboro.

In 2011 with a winning team they averaged 15,310 in Bowling Green and hosted Navy in the home opener and didn't hit 20,000.

This year drew 17,415 at home.

ASU in 2011 21,257

ASU in 2012 26,398

ULL in 2011 29,171

ULL in 2012 22,865

Hopefully ASU ULL and WKU all stay where they're at. We don't need to water down CUSA anymore.

• Upvote 1

:thumbsu:

Yeah a "watering down" with the teams that win games and sell tickets would be horrible.

ASU brings about 0% excitement for the vast majority of North Texas fans. Of course there a few people that seem to have some affinity for the Red Wolves, but that is not representative of the fanbase. Anything coming from the Sun Belt is bad for the perception of this move. I wish FAU and FIU had stayed put. NT and MT (who I would argue to be the best overall program in the SBC) would have been just fine with me.

For now, UL-Lafayette and stAte, along with Middle, would've been my choices. ODU and Charlotte should be great for the future but ODU, Charlotte and UTSA haven't earned anything yet. Neither have FAU and FIU. But, yes I understand that Miami, West Palm Beach, San Antonio, Norfolk, and Charlotte >Lafayette and Jonesboro TV markets and will deliver more $$$; but it still sucks.

If Tulsa leaves...

And the replacement is in the East, I say add a team that brings a bigger market and can add some value to the CUSA tv deal. So I'd take a GA St over WKY. When people blather about WKY basketball I wonder why it never resulted in the Sun Belt getting extra bids to the NCAA tourney?

If the replacement is in the West I want to see a team in the western division footprint; TXST, Lala, maybe even Arky St.

Live what arkie state is doing. Just keep winning and dominating. Passed a red wolves license plate and sticker in Arizona on way to Vegas this week. Have a tip of the hat and sped by him with 2 north texas stickers and mean green plate:)

Gmg

If Tulsa leaves...

And the replacement is in the East, I say add a team that brings a bigger market and can add some value to the CUSA tv deal. So I'd take a GA St over WKY. When people blather about WKY basketball I wonder why it never resulted in the Sun Belt getting extra bids to the NCAA tourney?

If the replacement is in the West I want to see a team in the western division footprint; TXST, Lala, maybe even Arky St.

I would pick TXST over Lala and ASU. If Tulsa did leave we'd be replacing them with another regional Texas school and we could probably get them before the Sun Belt stank overtakes them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1