Will Darnell: UNT has a football problem

Harry

UNT is masquerading as a Texas football factory and the university

must decide whether it wants to keep the reputation of a solid, growing

academic university or if it wants to be a part of the willful harm of

student athletes and its long term future alike.

UNT has a social and practical obligation to its students, faculty, fans and alumni.

Money

Schools that are supremely successful in football become national powerhouses and make tons of money.

The key to that statement is defining supreme success and what it

takes to attain that level of success. The top athletic department in

2011, in terms of revenue, was the University of Texas with more than

$160 million. UNT’s revenue in the same time period was under $18

million, according to the office of postsecondary education of the

Department of Education.

From a practical standpoint, in order to reach the levels of national

or even in-state prominence, UNT would have to increase its revenue by

several times.

Read more: http://wordpress1.cws.unt.edu/?p=1902

I think Will Darnell has retardation problem. "UNT is masquerading as a Texas Football Factory", WTF are you smoking? To summarize his argument, we shouldn't have football because we don't have as much money as UT, and because sometimes people get hurt.

By that logic, Oklahoma shouldn't have any highways. They don't spend near the money on highways that the State of Texas does, and sometimes people die on their highways.

• Upvote 4

Will Darnell has no penis, just a hairless patch of skin where a penis should be.

Wow, now that's a Hot Sports Opinion. You must have first-hand knowledge of Will Darnell's genital region.

• Upvote 1

If you're asking will kids ever quit writing articles like these in the school newspaper.... then no.

I'd say this opinion is far less prevalent around campus these days.

Right. I remember when I was on campus, this would have been a prevalent idea, and the writer would have been lauded for saying what everyone else was thinking. That was less than 10 years ago.

Now, this type of article is met with barbs about the writer not having a penis.

Times are a changing folks! Good things are happening at UNT!

• Upvote 1

The young man is entitled to his opinion, but my goodness, please make a legible point in your article. This is so poorly written that it is an embarrasment that this young man is an editor for the paper. This attitude isn't a culture problem, it is the problem of an uneducated young person.

• Upvote 2

The only football problem North Texas has is winning. Perception that the institution is a winner brings in rewards from sectors other than just athletics. The most terrifying event in my career at North Texas was being interviewed by the student reporters.

• Upvote 1