LSU fan with a question about Johnny Jones

Chase LOLZORZ

I watched the LSU game Saturday. Johnny couldn't win in the Sun Belt with that bunch. So many turnovers. Dribbling off your foot is not a coaching problem. Neither is free throw shooting: it's individual. Laura McCoy (Jr. on UNT women's team) would shoot a thousand free throws after parctice in high school. (NT daily article) She shoots 85-90 percent. She missed 3 of 50 last year; 4 of 32 this year. Free throw shooting is work. (Unless you're Shaq - maybe it's an LSU thing)

I'd take carmouche.

I watched the LSU game Saturday. Johnny couldn't win in the Sun Belt with that bunch. So many turnovers. Dribbling off your foot is not a coaching problem. Neither is free throw shooting: it's individual. Laura McCoy (Jr. on UNT women's team) would shoot a thousand free throws after parctice in high school. (NT daily article) She shoots 85-90 percent. She missed 3 of 50 last year; 4 of 32 this year. Free throw shooting is work. (Unless you're Shaq - maybe it's an LSU thing)

You sure...? I think there are a lot that would argue it is coaching... I mean they do not respect the coach so they miss free throws and turn over the ball right? You might need to ask Emmitt or Doctor Seuss etc... They are the experts.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 16

You sure...? I think there are a lot that would argue it is coaching... I mean they do not respect the coach so they miss free throws and turn over the ball right? You might need to ask Emmitt or Doctor Seuss etc... They are the experts.

What would you attribute to giving up 81 points to ULM and losing to them at home? ULM scored 39 points the other night and havent scored more than 57 in a game since leaving the pit? Or what would you attribute to losing to a D-2 school and giving up 77 points to them, is it b/c Benford can't get out there and guard them all or what?

• Upvote 1

What would you attribute to giving up 81 points to ULM and losing to them at home? ULM scored 39 points the other night and havent scored more than 57 in a game since leaving the pit? Or what would you attribute to losing to a D-2 school and giving up 77 points to them, is it b/c Benford can't get out there and guard them all or what?

If I remember correctly, we gave up 50 or 51 points in the 2nd half to ULM. Awful.

I never mentioned poor defense or losing to a D2 school. I mentioned player performance and relatively simple tasks where the blame was placed on the Coach. I do not absolve Benford from everything this season. Calling for his removal is ridiculous though... The season has been poor on both sides. I still see an upside and especially going forward into next season when CJ is 100% and grown under Benford's tutelage.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I never mentioned poor defense or losing to a D2 school. I mentioned player performance and relatively simple tasks where the blame was placed on the Coach. I do not absolve Benford from everything this season. Calling for his removal is ridiculous though... The season has been poor on both sides. I still see an upside and especially going forward into next season when CJ is 100% and grown under Benford tutelage.

You didn't mention those things but you did throw in a jab there to protect your boy Benford.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Haha LSU has never had good free throw shooting teams. It's like we're cursed or something

You didn't mention those things but you did throw in a jab there to protect your boy Benford.

He is not my boy but I still believe he will be an excellent coach. I believe that people are wrong on these boards when say that he has lost the respect of the players or has no clue how to be a head coach. I believe that people are wrong when they say that Benford cannot lead us into a winning season and the Big Dance. I just do not get where people come up with the idea that players are transferring either. Sure 18 year olds make some brash and (at times) poor decisions, but do not assume that they are discontent like some people behind their computer keys. Sure the season has not lived up to the hype (by far) but there are still a lot of games left and a bright future ahead (next season).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

He is not my boy but I still believe he will be an excellent coach. I believe that people are wrong on these boards when say that he has lost the respect of the players or has no clue how to be a head coach. I believe that people are wrong when they say that Benford cannot lead us into a winning season and the Big Dance. I just do not get where people come up with the idea that players are transferring either. Sure 18 year olds make some brash and (at times) poor decisions, but do not assume that they are discontent like some people behind their computer keys. Sure the season has not lived up to the hype (by far) but there are still a lot of games left and a bright future ahead (next season).

Thanks Skandrew

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I think the verdict is still out and I hope he does turn out to be good. But what have you seen right now that would lead any of us to believe that there is a bright future ? It was a great win the other night and I appreciate the fight the guys showed but just 2 nights before that it was an awful game. To me there hasnt been a consistent run of good play that would lead us to believe things have improved and I dont know if we will be able to see if we have improved b/c of the injury situation. I hope last Saturday was a sign that this thing is headed in the right direction but it seems like we have said that before and have been let down. So we will see.

I can agree that with injuries improvement will be hard to come by. At this point I am also looking into next season. CJ will be a leader next season. I was down on him earlier this season but I have good reason to believe that next season he is going to step it ip on the court and be a vocal leader off the floor as well. That right there is a bright enough future for me. Throw in our deep line up of guards and 3 point shooters and it looks great. I am still worried about our post play with only Colman coming back (if he is welcomed back). Any news on s transfer for juco pf....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

I can agree that with injuries improvement will be hard to come by. At this point I am also looking into next season. CJ will be a leader next season. I was down on him earlier this season but I have good reason to believe that next season he is going to step it ip on the court and be a vocal leader off the floor as well. That right there is a bright enough future for me. Throw in our deep line up of guards and 3 point shooters and it looks great. I am still worried about our post play with only Colman coming back (if he is welcomed back). Any news on s transfer for juco pf....

I don't think any AD spinster should be allowed to come on gmg and talk about NEXT YEAR as it pertains to the basketball program. With all due respect, put a sock in it. NOBODY wants to hear about NEXT year when THIS year has been such a monumental letdown.

Should we see a meteoric shift and turnaround before the end of the season, then talk of next year can resume. Until then, stop it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I don't think any AD spinster should be allowed to come on gmg and talk about NEXT YEAR as it pertains to the basketball program. With all due respect, put a sock in it. NOBODY wants to hear about NEXT year when THIS year has been such a monumental letdown.

Should we see a meteoric shift and turnaround before the end of the season, then talk of next year can resume. Until then, stop it.

This.

... although, it's hard to stomach this year either.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I wish I could +1 from my phone
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Hey guys, how good is Odo? All I can find on google is that he's very athletic. Oh and sorry for JJ taking him away...

Saw him play in person. When we thoiught he would be playing in the Sun Belt, I said he was an offensive project and if we could get 8 rebounds a night and some decent defense out of him, I would be happy. And I was talking about the Sun Belt.

For LSU, I expect him to see A LOT of pine. Maybe a 5-10 minute a night player at best. Expect no offense.

Now, he only has 4 years of basketball experience under his belt, so there may be room for improvement, but who really wants a JC project?

I am really surprised JJ stayed with this kid when he moved to LSU. Probably felt a committment to the kid. JJ will bring you much better talent than Odo.

Is Odo currently enrolled? If not, with his grade issues, he may never play for you guys. Y'all should consider that a good thing if it happens.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I recently moved to the St Louis area and I have to brag on my Div II UMSL Tritons. These guys are shooting over 80% FT as a team! That was one of my biggest gripes with UNT for years is how dreadful we were in the FT%. How many games were lost by 2 points, 4 points, etc? You have to hit those free throws to win. My dad talks of growing up in Kentucky where if you weren't able to hit at least 75-80% of your free throws you didn't make the team. Sad thing is that it mostly just takes practice and when they slack off drilling free throws in practice you can tell by the result on the court. Hopefully UNT can get it's act together before the SBC tournament. As long as your hot in late February-March that really is what counts. Missing the Super Pit but still follwing the Mean Green on the net. GMG!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I recently moved to the St Louis area and I have to brag on my Div II UMSL Tritons. These guys are shooting over 80% FT as a team! That was one of my biggest gripes with UNT for years is how dreadful we were in the FT%. How many games were lost by 2 points, 4 points, etc? You have to hit those free throws to win. My dad talks of growing up in Kentucky where if you weren't able to hit at least 75-80% of your free throws you didn't make the team. Sad thing is that it mostly just takes practice and when they slack off drilling free throws in practice you can tell by the result on the court. Hopefully UNT can get it's act together before the SBC tournament. As long as your hot in late February-March that really is what counts. Missing the Super Pit but still follwing the Mean Green on the net. GMG!

Except we had a really good FT shooting team for the past several years.

I really doubt your dad was correct, given that FT shooting percentages in college has been pretty much the same for about 50-60 years.

Edited by CMJ

Saw him play in person. When we thoiught he would be playing in the Sun Belt, I said he was an offensive project and if we could get 8 rebounds a night and some decent defense out of him, I would be happy. And I was talking about the Sun Belt.

For LSU, I expect him to see A LOT of pine. Maybe a 5-10 minute a night player at best. Expect no offense.

Now, he only has 4 years of basketball experience under his belt, so there may be room for improvement, but who really wants a JC project?

I am really surprised JJ stayed with this kid when he moved to LSU. Probably felt a committment to the kid. JJ will bring you much better talent than Odo.

Is Odo currently enrolled? If not, with his grade issues, he may never play for you guys. Y'all should consider that a good thing if it happens.

Yes. He practices with the team

• Upvote 1