Louisiana Tech passes on going to bowl?

cl_1_2008

LA Tech turned down a local bowl for themselves because they didn't want to LOSE to ULM in front of a home crowd.

And eve if their AD's story is true, that they were just too late calling the bowl back, they should start the search for a new AD along with the head coach.

Most coaches want a bowl game for a number of reasons, a main one being the extra 2 to 4 weeks of practice. The A.D should be shot. I realize that La. Tech. despises ULM, but talking about cutting off your nose to spite your face.Plus it would have been a sell out and could of been a hell of a game.

• Upvote 3

the AD should probably be given his pink slip, however I can see his line of thinking that Liberty Bowl vs a 10-win Tulsa would be a whole lot nicer than playing in Shreveport for the 3rd time this season against LA-Mo. I mean, c'mon, it's Louisiana - they already HAVE to live there, they know it sucks. I for one sure didn't see Northern Illinois jumping all the way to top-16 in the BCS after being #21 last week. I imagine the soon-to-be released AD didn't think it would happen either. feel bad for the players...

• Upvote 2

What I find interesting is the fact that LA Tech's offensive coordinator had just come back from recruiting "all over California" - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--louisiana-tech-won-t-play-in-bowl-despite-9-3-record--karl-malone-rips-school-033353941.html

I wonder if we recruit California? If they can recruit a quality quarterback to go to Rustin, Surely we could do the same and get one to come to Denton. . . . . .

• Upvote 3

What I find interesting is the fact that LA Tech's offensive coordinator had just come back from recruiting "all over California" - http://sports.yahoo....-033353941.html

I wonder if we recruit California? If they can recruit a quality quarterback to go to Rustin, Surely we could do the same and get one to come to Denton. . . . . .

La Tech promotes perception better than we do--always have. They even used their WAC membership to out-recruit North Texas--which they obviously did as we look at recent results that even led to Top 25 rankings for the 'Dawgs. Yet La Tech basically got into CUSA as a small market school based on one year; that is, last year albeit a very successful

bowl year for them (even though they lost their bowl game). One successful year as CUSA was looking for newbies? Look at their last 20 years of a Bulldog's W/L roller coaster ride.

You have to admire their promotions people who know how to sell their school to conference commissioners. Honestly, I've become a fan of how La Tech has made it happen for their school--almost envious truth be known AND............... If not for our DFW location, UNT would still be a member of the Sun Belt Conference based.

on our last 8 to 10 years and I think even "the power of positive thinking's" Norman Vincent Peale would agree with that (if he were alive and a Mean Green fan). :blink:

Of course,

the same could be said for Big East bound Tulane still being in CUSA if not for ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?.....someone please tell me why a school in a city that has (sadly) lost half its population because of Katrina, a T.U. with an enormous 25,000 seat FCS style stadium to be built in a neighbor hood that still doesn't want it built there and the Green Wave's fan base of 500 is walking right into Big East? New Rule: 25 years is as far back that FBS non AQ Conference Commissioners (like the ones in the Big East and MWC) can look at prospective schools who still have "The Name" but haven't done anything significantly with "The Name" athletically for at least 40 to 50 to 60 years; legally, that is. :hair:

Back To The Dawgs': Also, La Tech coaches recruit as if their jobs depended on it. Apparently, so do ULM's coaches with their well document and anemic athletic budget yet theirs recruiting efforts paying off by beating Arkansas the week the Hogs were ranked #8.

Never-ending job security in Denton makes too many in our athletic department (seemedly) want to coast along while waiting for better more upwardly mobile jobs which never seem to come along; meanwhile, our fan base has to suffer for such a "coast along" modus operendi and I think at this moment in time I've not seen our fan base as frustrated as it is now with those running the show in Denton.

The Vaunted 4 and 5 Year Plan (or moreso a contract time-buyer for some): North Texas also gets locked into these forever 4 and 5 years plans mostly because of each preceeding UNT HFC's under .500 W/L career in Denton the last 30 plus years and now................ at age 62 (damn! that happened quicker than I ever thought it would) I'm now witnessing about our

5'th or 6'th one of those....4 and 5 years plans, that is. Many of us are still counting on Coach Mac cutting his down to a 3 year plan, but the jury is out on his staff's recruiting if we compare it to even one Lone Star State based school who next year will be the one remaining Sun Belt Conference school in Texas with its uncanny number of 3 star committs compared to UNT's (if they stay committed to the San Marcos school, that is).

Some of us do like that Coach Mac has started looking at and signing a few JUCO's because I think a program like UNT's needs to do that for now. I just hope this North Texas job doesn't kill our coach because he has already had one stroke while in Denton and I am a proponent of "no job is worth dying for." Coach Mac is Type A all the way and he just needs to take care of himself.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The Tech message board is hilarious right now. They keep saying ULM ONLY got an invite because Tech turned it down. ESPN, CBSSports and other are reporting Tech turn down an offer to play ULM. All the reporters are wrong and the message board posters have the correct story. Right.

Sounds familiar.

Who here doesn't think that SMU would do the same thing if we got invited to play them in that Heart of Dallas Bowl--or whatever its called...This thing just runs so deep. At least a school like SMU has the cash to not care, but last time I checked, La Tech ain't exactly rolling in the dough. Its just funny how there are schools in this country that stick their noses up against local teams near them. Then, I look at Rice and UH and how well they have coexisted all these years. Whether its LaTech-ULM, SMU-UNT, UTEP-NMSU, or any other combo that fits this description, its just crazy that this kind of thinking still exists in these economic times. I think its silly that a school like Arkansas won't play the only other FBS school in its state every year or the MIssissippi schools not ever playing USM on any regular basis, but at least I understand the difference in the AQ vs non-AQ status there. These others just don't make much sense to me.

Edited by untjim1995

The timeline in this thing doesn't add up. Either that or I just can't add, which could be it?

The country knew NIU was possibly going to bust it up lat Friday night since their game with Kent State was decided then.

Early Saturday morning in the OU vs TCU preview show they even had a graphic showing what might happen with NIU moving up, and that was an 11:30 kick off.

So the LA Tech AD has some explaining to do better than just a simple "They held us to a timeline we couldn't shit or get off the pot over fast enough" excuse.

They had ample time to make this decision. It's either that or they were clueless and never watched the possible bowl selection predictions earlier in the week?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

pretty much agreeing with my sentiment earlier, Ivan Maisel puts it well:

" Louisiana Tech chose not to accept an Independence Bowl bid on Saturday thinking that a bid to the Liberty or Heart of Dallas would be available. If you blame Bulldog athletic director Bruce Van de Velde for anything, blame him for being a poor chess player. He didn’t think two moves ahead to what would happen if Northern Illinois moved into the top 16 and nudged Oklahoma back into the Big 12’s pool of bowl teams."

didn't know how to play the game. sounds like a sentiment i hear tossed around here

pretty much agreeing with my sentiment earlier, Ivan Maisel puts it well:

didn't know how to play the game. sounds like a sentiment i hear tossed around here

Well put. One thing that I wish they would clarify is had La. Tech accepted the Independence bid, would they have been matched with ULM? If that was who they were thinking that they would have played, their history indicates that the last team on earth they would want to play is ULM, especially a GOOD ULM team. So if it was ULM that they would have played in that game I think it changes the entire situation.

Sounds familiar.

So familiar to us turning down the same freaking bowl in the Hayden Fry years only to be left out in the cold.

Reason we turned it down? We didn't want to play the opponent (had already played them once that year).

The similiarities are eerily similiar.

Edited by UNT90

Well put. One thing that I wish they would clarify is had La. Tech accepted the Independence bid, would they have been matched with ULM? If that was who they were thinking that they would have played, their history indicates that the last team on earth they would want to play is ULM, especially a GOOD ULM team. So if it was ULM that they would have played in that game I think it changes the entire situation.

I don't have links in front of me, but both ESPN and CBSSports had stories saying La Tech was offered to play ULM and La Tech asked the if Tech could wait on making a decision. Even though the Tech fans insist the deal was Ohio and either ULM or Tech, that is not what both ESPN and CBSSports report.

If you believe the AD, then he was depending of four different football games to break the way he wanted, plus a favorable BSC poll outcome. Some Tech fans think this was a good choice. Any gamblers out there think a FIVE way parley is a safe bet?

The published reports agree the I Bowl told Tech they would play ULM, even if the fans say this isn't true. For at least several years any school recruiting against Tech will be able to say they were scared to play ULM. Tech can go through a long explaination, but the simplest explaination is usually true. Their ADs extreme gamble hurt this years seniors and will hurt recruiting for a while!