RV needs to be held accountable...

meangreener

IT IS TIME FOR NEW LEADERSHIP. UNT NEEDS TO START HAVING TRUE LEADERSHIP TO WIPE OFF THE BAD IMAGE IT HAS GARNERED OVER THE YEARS. RV HAS BEEN A GOOD AD FOR SOME THINGS, BUT IT IS TIME TO GET A GREAT AD WHO WILL KNOW HOW TO HIRE AND TAKE OUR ATHLETICS TO THE NEXT LEVEL, UP THERE WITH UH, BOISE, TCU...IT'S TIME GUYS. WE NEED TO DEMAND HIGHER STANDARDS INSTEAD OF LETTING POTENTIAL GET DESTROYED LIKE WE ARE SEEING HAPPENING NOW. Sorry for the CAPS, too lazy to change it when I realized it was all in CAPS.

• Upvote 3

To say that this loss is on the players is ludicrous. Are we to believe, honestly, that Tony Mitchell, Jordan Williams and Chris Jones ALL regressed over the off-season?? And this is somehow more believable than that we have an offensive game plan with zero imagination? Or more plausible than the thought that our rebounding woes are due to sitting our only true big man on the bench for most of the game which leads to Tony double teamed down low and Roger having to fight (with heart) amongst the trees? Or how about the fact that we played a team that consistently went to the hole and we insisted on remaining in a man to man look? Or, just for giggles, let's pretend that applying ZERO full court pressure is wise when you CLEARLY are willing to give pretty much all of your players sporadic minutes and wouldn't be wearing them down. Sorry KRAM, I love you man, but this falls squarely on the shoulders of Benford and RV.

Oh, and as you know I was there.

No problem at all....classy response...just a difference of opinion....players who are rated as highly as these players were said to be should play with passion and heart...saw very little of that tonight. Yes, I am frustrated...but unlike several others I will not quit on this team or this program. I saw way too many crappy shots and crappy body language and crappy and sloppy play from these guys tonight to last a season.....I staying with it...this one is on the players....just my option, Emmitt....and, yes, I do indeed know you were in attendance. Just as you are whenever you are not on duty. As to regressing...no, but maybe they spent too much time being told how great they were going to be, and maybe they are too young to realize that other teams are not just going to lay down for them in awe like happens at the rec center and during summer pick up games.

I don't know...maybe all our basketball experts here on GMG.Com do, but what I do know is that I saw a team lose a game they should have easily won this evening due to lack of interest, discipline and "want to". Everyone is certainly welcome to their own opinions....I have mine and I'm sticking with it!

We hired one Tony so that we could keep another Tony for one year. Was it worth it? Btw, Creighton got whipped by Boise tonight by a dozen.

We hired one Tony so that we could keep another Tony for one year. Was it worth it? Btw, Creighton got whipped by Boise tonight by a dozen.

Boise would likely crush our team by 30+pts

Yes, it is. So, pull your panties out of that tight wad when someone disagrees with all of those rainbows that you keep farting out from the back of a unicorn in gum drop land. Again, that is just my opinion.

Just...who rattled your cage? Pot meet kettle. I have my opinion, and I have as much right as anyone to defend it....I think my opinion has merit and I staying with it...tight panties or not, and since you care about my panties so much, I'll ask you to get your nose out of them.

Why do you care if my panties are tight? My opinion might be different from some others...it is obvious you have zero of any substance to add....you might want to review Army of Dad, UNT90 and Emmitt's responses to my posts to see how nature people respond. Or you can check out GreenBat, FFR and your response to see how not to do it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I have been and am still an RV fan but it's time to start looking if we can upgrade at the AD position as well. I know he has done a ton for this school and the athletics department but when he took over maybe it was a situation that it was just so damn bad that it couldn't really do anything but go up because it was that down. Now that we're in a really good position facilities and administration wise we have to think next level and big picture. RV's hiring record is awful and we know that new and improved facilities can't and wont teach X's and O's or give you wins on the playing field. We just can't afford to piss the momentum we have away anymore because things have really started to change culture wise and I'd just hate for it to go back to square 1 because we couldn't figure out a way to hire the right coaches in ANY of the main sports that matter.

• Upvote 3

That's the main point.

The culture is FINALLY changing. But if we keep putting this kind of product on the field/court, we might as well have not have tried. We may have already pissed away all the new student support, judging by the SA football game and the first two basketball games.

We can't afford another 4-8 and a 12 win basketball team.

Anyway, my head hurts, I'm going to bed, what an awful night.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2

Just...who rattled your cage? Pot meet kettle. I have my opinion, and I have as much right as anyone to defend it....I think my opinion has merit and I staying with it...tight panties or not, and since you care about my panties so much, I'll ask you to get your nose out of them.

Why do you care if my panties are tight? My opinion might be different from some others...it is obvious you have zero of any substance to add....you might want to review Army of Dad, UNT90 and Emmitt's responses to my posts to see how nature people respond. Or you can check out GreenBat, FFR and your response to see how not to do it.

Gosh, you know what, you're right. I'm so sorry. Fart some more rainbows. I'll make sure I follow other poster's protocol with your posts. Didn't mean to upset you. Let me apologize again. But, again, that's just my opinion.

• Upvote 4

There was definitely a lot of give-up with some of our players tonight (minus Franklin of course). Tony and a few others just looked pissed and frustrated. I'm sure they hate getting whipped and they don't seem to know what to do about it. I'm not close enough to the program to know all that is going on, but it doesn't look like a very cohesive unit right now - and that is and always will be on the coach.

All of us on this board want the same things - and I'm just getting fed up with seeing our 2 premier men's sports underachieving so badly. There is just no reason we should be so bad in football and men's basketball at this point in time. I WANT BETTER!!! Our 2 premier men's sports are not giving anyone a green light to greatness.

I thank RV for his work with facilities and the Johnny Jones hiring. Other hiring has mostly been bad. Maybe time for a change at AD.

BTW - Numbers 33 and 55 for UTA tonight... not the most athletic guys you'll see this year, but boy did they play hard AND smart. We could use some #33's and #55's. Also their #24? - very hard-nosed and again not terribly athletic, but fought hard and got some key rebounds and knew how to get into good rebounding position. Their coach is doing a good job - you could see the cohesiveness in that team.

• Upvote 1

Gosh, you know what, you're right. I'm so sorry. Fart some more rainbows. I'll make sure I follow other poster's protocol with your posts. Didn't mean to upset you. Let me apologize again. But, again, that's just my opinion.

Thanks...appreciate the apology...even if it is half hearted. I never knew that one would consider the critique of what is seen as poor effort and play by a team as "farting rainbows", well, thanks for pointing that out to me.

So, let me get this straight....if I post something positive, you consider it "farting rainbows", but if I criticize what I perceive to be lack of effort by players leading to a loss, that is also "farting rainbows". One of us is very confused here I believe. Either that or you are just trying to hard. But, do appreciate your opinion and the apology.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How about someone hold these players responsible? That display out there this evening was All On Them! Plain and simple...seems like this group just does not give a you know what how they play or if they win or not. Seems to be to be a bunch of individuals with Zero on court leadership. Franklin tries, but I don't think his personality is such....so, who is there to say...let's do this and take over a game. At this point, certainly not Tony....I just do not get it.

But, this game is not on RV, not on Benford....this mess of a game is 100 percent on the players on the court. No way this group should have lost this game...No Way!

I guess what seems so frustrating to me is that THIS team was suspossed to be good...really good! No such expectations for this year's football team, but expectations were High for the BB team.

See you Saturday for the LaLa game....but, this one tonight hurt.

Benford has mentioned he thinks Chris jones is really good, and lets him run the offense with no interference from him. He said this in interviews. Knowing what you know about the past and how many college games Chris has under his belt, do you think tho is a good idea? Do you think that because its Chris deciding what to do and not benford that benford is absolved from blame? Or, do you blame benford for letting that happen.

Anytime in the future you want to question whether something happening is a result coaching or playing, look across the court an insert the opponents head coach in our head coaching position and ask yourself if you really think it would be happening with them in charge of our guys. Do you think Scott cross would have let that crap we saw last night continue? Do you think bob marlin would put up with Tony's attitude? Did you see the way Isaiah Thomas handled his team at fiu? Do you think they didn't have talent?

How is it OVERHYPED?

This isn't OVERHYPED.

This is POORLY COACHED.

The team has superstars across the board who are not given a gameplan to their strengths.

They don't get Tony the ball.

Tony is pissed because Benford is ruining his career.

This was our ONE chance to get NATIONAL recognition.

umm.... me, you, and most of the people on this forum thought that North Texas would be the type of team that loses no more than 4 or 5 games, and that if they had early season success against the big boys could get some top 25 looks.

We all had pretty high expectations for this team and somewhat rightly so because the team is packed with talent. but they have a brand new rookie head coach. Benford is still trying to figure out what works, give the man some time.

Now, we are probably not going to have some fairy-tale season where we go undefeated the rest of the way but I would rather be bad now, get things together and be hot with a deep, healthy team at the end of the season.

And we may not have Tony Mitchell after this season but there will be other opportunities for national exposure.

I agree with all the stuff about poor coaching and the players being pissed.... I just don't think we should run the guy out of town after 8 games.

Honestly, I'm a very big supporter of RV, but the way that this basketball season has become is just...unacceptable. Somebody needs to be held accountable. I think it unacceptable to spend $80 million dollars on a stadium, spend a bunch of money on so-called Super Pit renovations, a practice facility, but yet let Tony Benford coach a basketball team and not make McCarney's seat warm (that's for another thread).

Tony Benford has NO control of the team.

Did anyone see the WAY Tony Mitchell was acting? It was disgusting. He was acting like a spoiled child. There were scouts there and Tony will be lucky to maintain his draft position with this abhorrent play. However, Tony was begging and pleading for the ball, Benford can't plan anything to get the ball to him. It was disgusting. He can't gameplan how to break a zone defense. He lets Chris Jones airball everything. There's NO accountability. With Johnny Jones, this team would be a 2-loss team. This team will implode this year and this will be the biggest failure in NT history.

But with the amount of money and hooplah around UNT athletics, this is just REALLY unacceptable.

So, at some point, despite Apogee, you HAVE to look at the AD and demand answers.

This has been unacceptable.

Tony was acting like a little baby last night plain and simple. His attitude was infectious. If every player stepped up and played like Roger Franklin, we would be posting about a win. He's the player to watch and he played his guts out last night. This new system is different than JJ's. Johnny left us, he wasn't fired. Any new coach is going to bring in a new system that will take some time to get used to in game situations... Not just practice. I am not totally pumped that Benford subs so much without establishing a rhythm, but calling for his head or RV's after 7 games is hilarious.

Kudos for Benford for benching TM for violating rules. He needs to take his pacifier out and try to play like Roger

Edited by Travis Scott
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

First half the score was tied at 31 – 31 – when TM went out in the first half with 2 fouls – UTA went on 10-2 run

Second Half – UNT Shot 6 0f 38 from the field – Offense was weave just past the 3 point line

UNT – out scored from the bench

UNT out scored in the lane

UNT – out rebounded

UTA – more assists

UTA More 3 point plays

UNT Coach – lost the coaching battle by a large margin

Suggestion for improvement: use the UNT/UTA game tape as a training film and adopt the Scott Cross Offense and Defense

Prediction – if the Coach does not change his approach to things then UNT will have its first losing season in many years

• Downvote 1

You know, I don't know much about basketball. But in looking at last years results of the North Texas-UTA game, I think that after JJ was hired away from us (did we get any contract buy out money on that?) I would have given serious consideration to hiring the coach who beat JJ's team last year by over 30 points.

And as to all this praise/credit given to RV for our wonderful football facilities. Derrick Murray and his SGA colleagues deserve the credit.....not RV. I've said this many many times....no student fee vote....no stadium and increase in cash flow for "other things".

Now, carry on about the mechanics of the game, because I have no idea what you are talking about.

• Upvote 5

You know, I don't know much about basketball. But in looking at last years results of the North Texas-UTA game, I think that after JJ was hired away from us (did we get any contract buy out money on that?) I would have given serious consideration to hiring the coach who beat JJ's team last year by over 30 points.

And as to all this praise/credit given to RV for our wonderful football facilities. Derrick Murray and his SGA colleagues deserve the credit.....not RV. I've said this many many times....no student fee vote....no stadium and increase in cash flow for "other things".

Now, carry on about the mechanics of the game, because I have no idea what you are talking about.

Exactly. Why the hell was Scott Cross not hired from UTA?

Probably for fear of losing Mitchell to the NBA. It seemed like Mitchell (and everyone else on the team) wanted coach Forrest to get the job, but when Benford was hired, due to his previous relationship with him in recruiting, he was ok with that hire.

:o The hiring process was affected by one player? A player who probably won't be on the team for more than a year anyway?

Assuming that what you are saying is totally accurate....or even close to accurate, AND in light of last nights results, RV's "incompetence-O-meter" just took a significant swing upward.