RV needs to be held accountable...

meangreener

Honestly, I'm a very big supporter of RV, but the way that this basketball season has become is just...unacceptable. Somebody needs to be held accountable. I think it unacceptable to spend $80 million dollars on a stadium, spend a bunch of money on so-called Super Pit renovations, a practice facility, but yet let Tony Benford coach a basketball team and not make McCarney's seat warm (that's for another thread).

Tony Benford has NO control of the team.

Did anyone see the WAY Tony Mitchell was acting? It was disgusting. He was acting like a spoiled child. There were scouts there and Tony will be lucky to maintain his draft position with this abhorrent play. However, Tony was begging and pleading for the ball, Benford plan anything to get the ball to him. It was disgusting. He can't gameplan how to break a zone defense. He lets Chris Jones airball everything. There's NO accountability. With Johnny Jones, this team would be a 2-loss team. This team will implode this year and this will be the biggest failure in NT history.

But with the amount of money and hooplah around UNT athletics, this is just REALLY unacceptable.

So, at some point, despite Apogee, you HAVE to look at the AD and demand answers.

This has been unacceptable.

DING, DING, DING. WE HAVE A WINNER!

• Upvote 3

Amen, meangreener. Preach on. I'm contemplating taking a poster to the game Saturday night for our front row seats next to the bench that says: Buy Out Tony Benford and I'm going to put a collection tin underneath it.

This is effing ridiculous. The team looks lost. Benford was handed a Sun Belt Conference championship caliber team and he's done squat with them. We're running players in and out within seconds ... no one knows how to drive the ball to the hole ... they all look scared to do anything (aside from Franklin, he's a beast). It's pathetic.

Rick needs to be accountable for this fiasco. I wholeheartedly agree. I just pray to God that this isn't Shanice Stephens all over again. Did he bring a binder to his interview, too, or what?

And, while I'm ranting ... this reminds me of Barry Switzer's Cowboys takeover. Only Barry's stupidity wasn't enough to squash another SuperBowl win with the talent he had ... until his second season of coaching.

*sigh*

• Upvote 5

There's just NO control over the team.

Two dumpster fire hires...just unacceptable. Benford is an awful coach, and his awful-ness is rubbing off on our stars. Benford may ruin NBA's career, he's that bad.

I'm going to get shit-faced wasted and go to class tomorrow with an awful hangover, thanks Benford.

Edited by meangreener

hmm...could you possibly be over-reacting?

Benford has only been a head coach for how many games now? (8 i believe)

I'm just saying....on some level WE helped create this monster that is probably the most over-hyped team in North Texas sports history. We definitely didn't down-play it.

I believe Benford is still trying to figure out how to most efficiently place the players around TM. Hes going through some growing pains and unfortunately its at the expense of a really talented basketball team.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 7

I'm just saying....on some level WE helped create this monster that is probably the most over-hyped team in North Texas sports history. We definitely didn't down-play it.

I believe Benford is still trying to figure out how to most efficiently place the players around TM. Hes going through some growing pains and unfortunately its at the expense of a really talented basketball team.

How is it OVERHYPED?

This isn't OVERHYPED.

This is POORLY COACHED.

The team has superstars across the board who are not given a gameplan to their strengths.

They don't get Tony the ball.

Tony is pissed because Benford is ruining his career.

This was our ONE chance to get NATIONAL recognition.

• Upvote 4

RV hires loser coach after loser coach after loser coach in sport after sport after sport. He's a great salesman, but he just can't identify, hire, or retain talent. He has to go. The state of affairs of our athletic program is abysmal and, taken as a whole, has been so for most of his tenure (and honestly has gotten worse). I have no reason to believe anything will ever get better under him. He really does need to go.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

RV hires loser coach after loser coach after loser coach in sport after sport after sport. He's a great salesman, but he just can't identify, hire, or retain talent. He has to go. The state of affairs of our athletic program is abysmal and, taken as a whole, has been so for most of his tenure (and honestly has gotten worse). I have no reason to believe anything will ever get better under him. He really does need to go.

He did a GREAT job getting us the best facilities in college football. He deserves eternal praise from me for that. His time is past.

Nope.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How about someone hold these players responsible? That display out there this evening was All On Them! Plain and simple...seems like this group just does not give a you know what how they play or if they win or not. Seems to be to be a bunch of individuals with Zero on court leadership. Franklin tries, but I don't think his personality is such....so, who is there to say...let's do this and take over a game. At this point, certainly not Tony....I just do not get it.

But, this game is not on RV, not on Benford....this mess of a game is 100 percent on the players on the court. No way this group should have lost this game...No Way!

I guess what seems so frustrating to me is that THIS team was suspossed to be good...really good! No such expectations for this year's football team, but expectations were High for the BB team.

See you Saturday for the LaLa game....but, this one tonight hurt.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

How about someone hold these players responsible? That display out there this evening was All On Them! Plain and simple...seems like this group just does not give a you know what how they play or if they win or not. Seems to be to be a bunch of individuals with Zero on court leadership. Franklin tries, but I don't think his personality is such....so, who is there to say...let's do this and take over a game. At this point, certainly not Tony....I just do not get it.

But, this game is not on RV, not on Benford....this mess of a game is 100 percent on the players on the court. No way this group should have lost this game...No Way!

I guess what seems so frustrating to me is that THIS team was suspossed to be good...really good! No such expectations for this year's football team, but expectations were High for the BB team.

Nobody respects Benford because Benford COACHES NO DISCIPLINE into these players. Mitchell was so exasperated at Benford's inept-ness as a coach that he just gave up. Benford is ruining his career. I don't blame Mitchell for quitting tonight.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Give me a break, there's no offensive scheme and all the shots being taken are low percentage shots.

When is it going to become Benford's fault?

Edited by GRN-WHT

if the players don't respond, its coaching.

• Upvote 3

Sorry, KRAM but I disagree. This is on the coach and RV isn't looking too good right now on coaching hires either.

• Upvote 2

Review of UNT’s 72 – 59 Loss to UTA

First half the score was tied at 31 – 31 – when TM went out in the first half with 2 fouls – UTA went on 10-2 run

Second Half – UNT Shot 6 0f 38 from the field – Offense was weave just past the 3 point line

UNT – out scored from the bench

UNT out scored in the lane

UNT – out rebounded

UTA – more assists

UTA More 3 point plays

UNT Coach – lost the coaching battle by a large margin

Suggestion for improvement: use the UNT/UTA game tape as a training film and adopt the Scott Cross Offense and Defense

Prediction – if the Coach does not change his approach to things then UNT will have its first losing season in many years