Futbol

Travis Scott

This win DID NOT clinch the conference title. NT leads the conference race and can clinch with a win @ WKU next week. We control our own destiny with one game remaining. We tied FIU, which is the only blemish on our record, but that also means that anything less than a win at WKU means MTSU (whose only blemish is a loss to us) could also win the championship.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 3

Congrats to the girls. As I understand it, CUSA is quite the futbol conference. Has there been any substantive discussion about fielding a mens team?

I asked RV about that a few months ago, and he said he couldn't see it anytime in the foreseeable future. He wouldn't mind having one, but just doesn't know how we could make it work. I didn't press him on it, so if you want a detailed explanation you'll have to ask him.

• Upvote 1

I asked RV about that a few months ago, and he said he couldn't see it anytime in the foreseeable future. He wouldn't mind having one, but just doesn't know how we could make it work. I didn't press him on it, so if you want a detailed explanation you'll have to ask him.

Ha...I have been jabbing RV about this for years now. Oh, it would work and rather easily at that...already have the stadium and the cost of unis and equip is marginal at best in soccer/futbol. But, the next men's sport will be baseball...not soccer.

• Downvote 1

Does anyone really care about men's college soccer? I don't think so...

Jeez - some folks say the same thing about track and field - others say the say thing about volleyball - God knows, others say the same thing about golf, that great university spectator sport.

Why don't we just embrace the fact that we have a varied sports program and it would be nice to have even more sports, for those with an interest in the individual sports, to follow.

But regardless, all of us should openly support the whole athletic program even when we don't care about some of the individual sports.

What a myopic view on your part!

• Upvote 4

Jeez - some folks say the same thing about track and field - others say the say thing about volleyball - God knows, others say the same thing about golf, that great university spectator sport.

Why don't we just embrace the fact that we have a varied sports program and it would be nice to have even more sports, for those with an interest in the individual sports, to follow.

But regardless, all of us should openly support the whole athletic program even when we don't care about some of the individual sports.

What he said! Very well said, Sir!

I'm sorry, but there's a reason a lot of schools don't have men's soccer teams especially in Texas. I do support all of our programs, but in case you didn't notice men's soccer isn't one of them. If there was a huge want/need for one, like there is for baseball I'd be more inclined to add the sport, but there's not. Just because it'd be "cool" to add a new program doesn't make it the right or responsible thing to do.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Ha...I have been jabbing RV about this for years now. Oh, it would work and rather easily at that...already have the stadium and the cost of unis and equip is marginal at best in soccer/futbol. But, the next men's sport will be baseball...not soccer.

Really? Would you mind explaining the rather easy easy way we would fund a Title IX offset women's team to compensate?

Look, the next sport NT is going to add will be baseball. Either donors will step up and fund something like women's equestrian to offset it... or some hard choices will have to be made.

Let me throw some NCAA scholarship limits out for comparison:

Men's Baseball: 11.6

Women's Equestrian: 12.0

Men's Track and Field: 12.6

Men's Soccer: 12.0

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Really? Would you mind explaining the rather easy easy way we would fund a Title IX offset women's team to compensate?

Look, the next sport NT is going to add will be baseball. Either donors will step up and fund something like women's equestrian to offset it... or some hard choices will have to be made.

Let me throw some NCAA scholarship limits out for comparison:

Men's Baseball: 11.6

Women's Equestrian: 12.0

Men's Track and Field: 12.6

Men's Soccer: 12.0

Darn..is reading comprehension really THAT hard for some folks???? Seriously. Note what I said....baseball would be next! The point was UNT could easily add men's soccer in lieu of baseball (not in addition too). THAT, would be easy...but, not addding both. If you would actually read and think a tad before shooting off a post you would actually see that I was not indicating that UNT would add both men's soccer and baseball...simply that men's soccer would be much easier and much less costly to add than baseball...also indicated that was not going to happen and that baseball was next. Geeeeezzzzzzz, Louise, read a bit...at least try! How many times have we been through this soccer/baseball thing here on GMG.com?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Darn..is reading comprehension really THAT hard for some folks???? Seriously. Note what I said....baseball would be next! The point was UNT could easily add men's soccer in lieu of baseball (not in addition too). THAT, would be easy...but, not addding both. If you would actually read and think a tad before shooting off a post you would actually see that I was not indicating that UNT would add both men's soccer and baseball...simply that men's soccer would be much easier and much less costly to add than baseball...also indicated that was not going to happen and that baseball was next. Geeeeezzzzzzz, Louise, read a bit...at least try! How many times have we been through this soccer/baseball thing here on GMG.com?

If reading the internet stresses you this much you should probably speak to your doctor.

Soccer can not be started in lieu of baseball because CUSA was promised we would be starting baseball. Equestrian is the only (hopefully) economically feasible sport for NT that could offset that number of scholarships. NT would not have to build anything as there are several world class facilities in the area. Unlike most sports, the costs of participation are mainly paid for by the athletes.

The only other women's sport that is close to being economically feasible is bowling, but that only offers 5 scholarships and only about 30 D1 teams sponsor it, meaning travel costs would be killer. Lacrosse and Field Hockey offer 12 scholarships, but we would have to build facilities, and they are mainly sponsored by teams in the north, east, or north east. Travel and scheduling would be expensive.

Even if you did build facilities for field hockey/lacrosse there is no way the NCAA would award us regionals or super regionals because there are not enough teams in the area. A baseball stadium would cost more, but it's cost could be offset by hosting those and by the fact its higher profile would probably draw a significant sponsor.

To speak plainly, if people want soccer, then the real discussion has to be about cutting men's track and field. You ready to start calling for that?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Ladies lost to WKU this afternoon 2-0. Now have to hope that WKU beats MTSU in Murfreesboro this coming week in order to have two conference championships in a row.

outch... i guess celebration here was a bit premature.... well.... as long as they take the tourney it don't matter

If reading the internet stresses you this much you should probably speak to your doctor.

Soccer can not be started in lieu of baseball because CUSA was promised we would be starting baseball. Equestrian is the only (hopefully) economically feasible sport for NT that could offset that number of scholarships. NT would not have to build anything as there are several world class facilities in the area. Unlike most sports, the costs of participation are mainly paid for by the athletes.

The only other women's sport that is close to being economically feasible is bowling, but that only offers 5 scholarships and only about 30 D1 teams sponsor it, meaning travel costs would be killer. Lacrosse and Field Hockey offer 12 scholarships, but we would have to build facilities, and they are mainly sponsored by teams in the north, east, or north east. Travel and scheduling would be expensive.

Even if you did build facilities for field hockey/lacrosse there is no way the NCAA would award us regionals or super regionals because there are not enough teams in the area. A baseball stadium would cost more, but it's cost could be offset by hosting those and by the fact its higher profile would probably draw a significant sponsor.

To speak plainly, if people want soccer, then the real discussion has to be about cutting men's track and field. You ready to start calling for that?

I really do think you are off your rocker..try reading and even half-way understanding for a change instead of coming across as such a yo-yo! If reading comprehension is really this hard for you, I suggest you go back and try Dick and Jane or any other Sesame Street work you like. Again...and read carefully...I was not advocating men's soccer OVER baseball...just commenting that I had been jabbing RV for years about it...playfully, I might add. Again...try to keep up here...It seems to be hard for you for some reason....I said baseball was next. Just said that it would be easier to add men's soccer....and that is true. Way less money, and could be going by next season.

And since you asked...yes, for me personally, I much rather have men's soccer than track and field..but that's just a personal preference. I would NEVER advocate for the loss of any program. I WAS IN THE MEETING with players and parents when the men's soccer team was cut. I know how that feels and I looked right into the eyes of the players who had just signed to play for UNT and were now being told to forget it.....way too late to catch on and play for any other school. And, these were kids recruited to UNT to play men's soccer and who had turned down other programs to play for UNT. So, between you and me, I probably have a bunch more experience at this than you. So, do try to keep up, and do try your best to comprehend what one is saying....and leave your attitude at the door.

• Downvote 6

That is not an option. Track is there sports in one - indoor, outdoor, and cross country. If you cut it then unt will only sponsor three mens teams and no longer be DI

• Upvote 3

That is not an option. Track is there sports in one - indoor, outdoor, and cross country. If you cut it then unt will only sponsor three mens teams and no longer be DI

Heck of a point. Hadn't even thought of that. You have to sponsor 6 men's and 8 women's sports. Right now on the men's side NT sponsors:

Football

Basketball

Cross County

Indoor T&F

Outdoor T&F

Golf

There are 10 women's team but they are needed to offset the 85 scholarships football uses.

That just makes the situation starker. Equestrian (most likely, could be another sport) will HAVE to be funded before baseball. I really don't see how men's soccer can be added anytime even remotely soon.

The other wildcard in this is that a Federal appeals judge ruled that competitive cheer does not constitute a "sport" for Title IX purposes partly because the NCAA does not sponsor a championship. Who knows what courts will decide in the future when it comes to equestrian? Hell, using that line of reasoning, is FBS football a sport?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rowing has a higher scholarship limit than equestrian (according to Wikipedia) and could give a little more Title IX flexibility, and it has the advantage of being a C-USA sport.

Sorry Kram, I want us to have men's soccer, too, but I would rather have baseball. I'm beginning to see what RV was saying when I talked to him. It's hard to have both.