DT vs. Berglund

H-towngreen

Brock didn't leave CC just because he couldn't get a starting job. There could be a lot of reasons for that. Knowing that Brock at most would be one and done may have made coaches less inclined to start him ... especially considering he probably needs time to get back into football after so much time off. I'm just saying there's a lot of reason why Brock may not have started.

I believe the main issue is that if Brock played at CC he wouldn't be able to transfer to UNT until the summer ... and that's only if he earned something like 18 credits per semester. I believe Vito reported that when Brock signed. It would have been very difficult for him to transfer to UNT in time to earn the starting job. By transfering when he did he'll have nearly a year before the first game in 2013 to learn the playbook and earn the job.

While Brock may turn out to be nothing special, in my mind his short time at the CC has no impact on my impression of him as a player. I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll be a good one for us.

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 2

Brock didn't leave CC just because he couldn't get a starting job. There could be a lot of reasons for that. Knowing that Brock at most would be one and done may have made coaches less inclined to start him ... especially considering he probably needs time to get back into football after so much time off. I'm just saying there's a lot of reason why Brock may not have started.

I believe the main issue is that if Brock played at CC he wouldn't be able to transfer to UNT until the summer ... and that's only if he earned something like 18 credits per semester. I believe Vito reported that when Brock signed. It would have been very difficult for him to transfer to UNT in time to earn the starting job. By transfering when he did he'll have nearly a year before the first game in 2013 to learn the playbook and earn the job.

While Brock may turn out to be nothing special, in my mind his short time at the CC has no impact on my impression of him as a player. I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll be a good one for us.

If this were truly Brock's line of thought, he would have been here for summer workouts. He chose to go to JC instead. He practiced in the summer with the JC, not UNT, and then suddenly, out of nowhere, transferred to UNT.

He may turn out to be a great player for us (he was battling a Hawaii transfer for the starting JC job, after all), but to say he planned this all along goes against all logic when looking at the situation from a neutral perspective.

I just don't think there is any reason to get excited until the kid works his way up the depth chart, much less get excited when he isn't even ON the depth chart.

If this were truly Brock's line of thought, he would have been here for summer workouts. He chose to go to JC instead. He practiced in the summer with the JC, not UNT, and then suddenly, out of nowhere, transferred to UNT.

He may turn out to be a great player for us (he was battling a Hawaii transfer for the starting JC job, after all), but to say he planned this all along goes against all logic when looking at the situation from a neutral perspective.

I just don't think there is any reason to get excited until the kid works his way up the depth chart, much less get excited when he isn't even ON the depth chart.

I don't think he planned it all along. I have no idea why he transferred when he did. I wonder if he didn't understand the exact transfer rules at the time. I could see a college administrator telling him he could transfer whenever without realizing the rules are different when it includes eligibility. So maybe he got some bad advice initially ... or maybe he didn't think it through ... or he didn't realize how hard it would be to earn all of those credits in time. I lean towards some bad (or uninformed) advice.

I do agree that we shouldn't get too excited right now. As I said, I'm cautiously optimistic (hopeful) because I'm not optimistic of DT being anything more than what he is right now.

Here's the difference between the two:

(1) Thompson has taken some snaps against real college competition

(2) Berglund has not...for years.

I like Thompson. With his experience, I bet he's a better shot at keeping the job than Berglund. Also, Berglund appears to be a kid where you can't count the chickens before the eggs hatch. He's been here, he's been there. Thompson has stuck it out through thin and thin here. I think he's the one to take us into the thick.

• Upvote 1

Here's the difference between the two:

(1) Thompson has taken some snaps against real college competition

(2) Berglund has not...for years.

I like Thompson. With his experience, I bet he's a better shot at keeping the job than Berglund. Also, Berglund appears to be a kid where you can't count the chickens before the eggs hatch. He's been here, he's been there. Thompson has stuck it out through thin and thin here. I think he's the one to take us into the thick.

Have you been watching the same games as I've been? Troy... for example?

• Upvote 1

I just haven't seen any progression from DT. I know we don't have a weapons but when you're flaunting a 200 yd passing performence things aren't good.

Hard to perform when the majority of your throws come in situations where the defense knows you are going to throw.

That said, his game against TSU was terrible.

Well...here we are speculating between our current starting QB and a guy who has shown ZERO ability to even stay enrolled at a school long enough to actually play a down in a regular season game. GREATNESS!

This is a decision that will be made by the coaching staff....after, what i expect to be, some very spirited QB competition between all UNT's rostered QB's next spring and fall. Anyone here who is already counting DT out of the equation is NUTS! this season before we all start speculating on who starts next season...let's see who is and who is not actually enrolled come fall ball first...just satin.....

This. I think those clamoring for Brock are going to be somewhat disappointed next year. BUT, I'll say this: In the realm of college football, it's not unusual to use a QB such as Brock in special packages and game situations. If Brock wins the competition in Spring and Fall practice, he'll get the job... if not, unless he totally blows, I anticipate he'll get some playing time in games. The reason it doesn't make sense with Osborn is he's a similar athletic profile to Thompson. Brock does have the physical gifts to be a weapon. But he'll still have to prove it on the field.

• Upvote 1

When a player isn't getting it done why is it so damaging to the team's psyche to allow his backup to try his hand? If that's never going to happen why do we even need a backup quarterback? Does the starter have to be carried out on a stretcher for anyone else to show their wares? If the opposing team has defensed the starter's strengths and he can't or doesn't adjust his game, or he is a little off physically (hurt, tired) then he should be replaced, at least for a series. It's not like he's being sent to the scout team. No one that I know is on top of their game all of the time. Also, if the backup has no experience and is thrust into a game situation due to injury, we would be SOL.

There is a reason that Berglund was highly rated out of high school. Size, speed, arm strength, accuracy, ability to pick up second and third receivers, look off receivers, etc. I can only hope that Berglund is the starter next year or we're likely stuck in neutral.

Brock brings two things DT does not possess

1.) Wheels

2.) An accurate long ball

Remember Clemson? The reason we could drive on them was because Tune was accurate and would pick up 10 yard gains when people thought he couldn't run. We kept them guessing because we had some threats on the field. With DT you just know he isn't going to run. We need a QB that brings more to the table than just "experience"

When a player isn't getting it done why is it so damaging to the team's psyche to allow his backup to try his hand? If that's never going to happen why do we even need a backup quarterback? Does the starter have to be carried out on a stretcher for anyone else to show their wares?

With quarterbacks all over the world, yes. The third question answers the second.

Also, no coach in their right mind is pulling a starting quarterback "just to see." He sees every day.

• Upvote 1

Faster than DT

Probably. But since he hasn't ever played in an FBS football game, I'd hesitate personally to make any claims as to his skill level. We've had a number of QBs that were faster than DT since Scott Hall, and how many games did they win? Also, anybody who says that DT does not possess an accurate deep ball is blessed with a short memory, and has forgotten much of last year (the Troy game comes to mind immediately), and must not have seen the perfect sideline pass he made 30 yards downfield to Chancellor, over two defenders, in the FAU game this year (of at least two perfect deep balls in the game).

Edited by Monkeypox
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A couple of weeks ago Coach Mac on the Coach Mac Show who is our head football coach was asked about how good our quarterbacks were at quarterbacking and who he thought was going to start next year for the Mean Green of the University of North Texas.

He really didn't talk about anyone but Brock and how well he thought he would press for the starting job next year. I'd say there's pretty much a tryout between him and DT right now, and that Brock is winning. DT needs to pick it up. A little competition can be a good thing for both DT and Brock.

• Upvote 1