DT vs. Berglund

H-towngreen

I think that Berglund or McNulty will start next season.

So even though McNulty gets virtually no time in this year, you think he has a 50% chance of beating out what would then be a senior?

DT isn't being given a chance to get it done.

and even more to the point that if DT isn't given it, then why would anyone think that Berglund get to.

• Upvote 1

Cooper Jones could be a gamer. My left foot COULD be a gamer. That 5'3" cheerleader COULD be a gamer. Maybe we should give them all a shot, as long as there's arbitrary qualifiers for inclusion.

At this point, you still have a chance to win a decent number of games. The coaches appear loathe (wisely so) to create more issues on offense than they already have by implementing a short leash on Thompson. He won the job last year. He won it again this year. Perhaps the "apparent" lack of pressure to be pulled is that the coaches know what they have behind Thompson. After all, they've seen the kids every day.

Funny guy. All I'm saying is with what we have left on our schedule, it won't be easy to get to 6-6 with the way things are going, especially if our defense is having trouble, because the other schools we have left to play can put up numbers on O just like Houston. Putting in the back-up qb has been known to work at times in football, and it has failed.

I thought after Osborn went six for seven with two tds and no picks at Tulsa last year that he might get a chance as bad as DT had been up to that point but he wasn't, although DT did play well later in the year. That performance showed me that he has a chance to be a gamer, but I don't know if we'll see it anytime soon or after it's too late. Hope they can pull something together this year. Or we sit in a cocoon until basketball season starts.

and even more to the point that if DT isn't given it, then why would anyone think that Berglund get to.

Because Berglund has good arm strength and speed to where, if he were in, Chico would be able to open the playbook for him. There is a reason why so many big schools offered this kid a scholly.

Look at Western Kentucky. Their roster is filled with players that other (even bigger) schools wanted and they out-recruited them for and we have A LOT of players who we were the only school to offer. I know sometimes players don't pan out so I don't want to see examples of players who weren't offered by anybody and went on to the nfl, or players who everybody wanted out of high school becoming a bust either.

My point is, Berglund has some tools that DT doesn't which could make our offense harder to stop.

• Upvote 1

Pulling your QB is sand you can't put back in the bottle. A divided locker room does not help anybody and to me shows panic by the coaching staff. I am sure all the QB's had their chances in Spring practice and now in regular practice.

It is up to the coaches to gameplan around any talent deficiencies. It isn't that hard to set up in 4 wides and still run when teams are stacking the box and you don't really trust your passing game. Screens, motion, misdirection, bootlegs. When you're not bigger and stronger, you can't just line up in double dynamite and run up the middle every time.

Heaven forbid, play action more than 3 times a game.

Come on man!

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 1

So DT is not being given ample time to prove himself on the field yet but Osborn and McNulty are being given a big enough chance???

It's simple. Niether could beat out DT in 6 plus weeks of fall and Spring practice.

McNaulty is being redchirted this year, but what in any of his performances made you think he was a better QB than DT last year? Remember how bad it was when DT went down last year? How we had no shot in any game without him? Remember how Osbourne couldn't beat out a poor performing McNaulty for the backup QB spot?

Do you think this staff knows how to evaluate QB talent?

If the answer is yes, then what is the problem. If the answer is no, I would submit that we are looking at far worse problems than just a one year QB "controversy." We are looking at a lot more losing years ahead.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Interesting this topic came up. I went back and watched this video of Burglund again 3 days ago. If we can get this Burglund, he has to be the favorite. We need a more mobile guy that can pull the ball down and get you about a 6 yard run; to keep a drive going. With less time on the field, the defense plays much better as well.

• Upvote 4

Our coaches told the Texas gatorade high school player of the year no thanks because they wanted Brock here. I don't see how he comes here & sits

I wish we had 2 scholarships to offer. That would have been some great depth.

Yes, I know that one probably wouldn't have come if the other did, but it sure woulda been nice.

I meant the same type of play as in the video.

Aahh..

Damn no context internet.

Was there a senior highlight video? I recall seeing this junior year vid, but not the senior year.

Either safeties in Colorado are quite slow (quite possible), or this kid has some jets.

Edited by UNT90

Either safeties in Colorado are quite slow (quite possible), or this kid has some jets.

Little column A, little column B. He can run no doubt (he was what, #15 dual-threat QB), but you don't see a whole lot of highlight films of kids facing top tier competition. It's always vids of their 600-yd performance against St. Vincent's School for the blind.

Pulling your QB is sand you can't put back in the bottle. A divided locker room does not help anybody and to me shows panic by the coaching staff. I am sure all the QB's had their chances in Spring practice and now in regular practice.

It is up to the coaches to gameplan around any talent deficiencies. It isn't that hard to set up in 4 wides and still run when teams are stacking the box and you don't really trust your passing game. Screens, motion, misdirection, bootlegs. When you're not bigger and stronger, you can't just line up in double dynamite and run up the middle every time.

Heaven forbid, play action more than 3 times a game.

Come on man!

I never thought id be calLing for the coache to run more screens during games... But we've ran 4 over the past 2 games for at least 100 yards gained!

• Upvote 1

Apparently Brock is not only doing great as a scout Teamer, but evidently they intrasquad with the lower players on the depth chart one day per week and he is reported to be unbelievably good in those settings as well. It would be ideal to have a 3 year starter in Brock and have Dajon Williams come in and redshirt and have DT or McNulty as the backup(s).

Edited by UNT Mean Green

Well...here we are speculating between our current starting QB and a guy who has shown ZERO ability to even stay enrolled at a school long enough to actually play a down in a regular season game. GREATNESS!

This is a decision that will be made by the coaching staff....after, what i expect to be, some very spirited QB competition between all UNT's rostered QB's next spring and fall. Anyone here who is already counting DT out of the equation is NUTS! this season before we all start speculating on who starts next season...let's see who is and who is not actually enrolled come fall ball first...just satin.....

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

Well...here we are speculating between our current starting QB and a guy who has shown ZERO ability to even stay enrolled at a school long enough to actually play a down in a regular season game. GREATNESS!

This is a decision that will be made by the coaching staff....after, what i expect to be, some very spirited QB competition between all UNT's rostered QB's next spring and fall. Anyone here who is already counting DT out of the equation is NUTS! this season before we all start speculating on who starts next season...let's see who is and who is not actually enrolled come fall ball first...just satin.....

With all due respect to your just satin, Brock is enrolled here and having no issues eligibility wise. Don't think you need to concern yourself too much but I guess you can never be sure.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Apparently Brock is not only doing great as a scout Teamer, but evidently they intrasquad with the lower players on the depth chart one day per week and he is reported to be unbelievably good in those settings as well. It would be ideal to have a 3 year starter in Brock and have Dajon Williams come in and redshirt and have DT or McNulty as the backup(s).

Everyone needs to realize that this is a guy who left Community College because earning the starting role there was not assured.

Let's just tap the brakes and see what next year brings, shall we? And, there are still 7 games left this year to worry about.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1