DT vs. Berglund

H-towngreen

I've heard Berglund has performed very well in practice while playing for the scout offensive against the first team defense.

People like to doubt Berglund's ability to single-handedly turn around this team, but he is a good football player which is why there is so much pub surrounding him. A stud qb can make a decent team good, a bad qb can make a good team bad, etc.

It is the most important position on the field and having a good one can take us to new heights. It doesn't look like DT is capable of that honestly, but he is a captain so we'll see how much that and him being the incumbent senior starter come into play with Mac's decision going into next season. I'd say 50-50 as well, at least to start the season since DT will be a two-year starter already.

If he's lucky, DT gets to throw the ball once every 3 plays... And it seems like the majority of the time, those plays are 3rd and long, which gives d-lines an opportunity to pin their ears back... I'd like to see DT get a better chance to get into the rhythm of a game... He doesn't read defenses too well right now, but I don't know if that means that he can't

• Upvote 2

I think Osborne and McNulty have better arguments with that line

I think you are wrong.

They both have had ample opportunity to beat him out in practice. They have not.

I would love to see DT get the chance to throw the ball in something other than 2 and long and 3rd and long situations. Didn't happen hardly at all against Houston.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Really just gotta hope somebody steps up, or that Berglund is the real deal. I still don't see a way that you bench an incumbent starter unless he really stinks it up this year. Leadership matters, and, according to Mac, it's been a big reason why Thompson is the guy. And for every Houston or Troy or Texas Southern game Thompson has, he still has one like FAU or Kansas State. I'm still very unsure about the position as a whole.

• Upvote 1

[

It should be the BEST PLAYER plays. We can have leadership at other positions such as RB, MLB, OL. If Brock is given the job next year with 3 years of eligibility left, im sure he would eventually step into a leadership role.

It will be the best player, but the best player according to coaches, not the best player according to people on a message board. Berglund is going to have to EARN the job, just like anyone else.

• Upvote 1

I think this should be a big boost.....I think

I've also heard that they are the real deal as well. These guys, along with Berglund, have been doing work on the first team offense for scout team. Apparently these players have been making the defense coaches very agitated during scout team. We shouldn't have to compare Terrell to Stratford, but rather contrast at how differently they panned out for us. Pegram is a well put together runner at 5'9" 215 lbs with solid speed, so expect him to be in the mix next year as well.

To those who say DT hasn't been given a shot I realize you don't mean playing-time wise but rather play-calling wise. He has proven to be below-average at throwing the deep ball and intermediate passes, so this greatly constricts the playbook. Chico isn't gonna call plays that DT can't handle, which is quite a bit, so our offense is pretty predictable and boring. Also, our situation at receiver doesn't help much.

As for the argument that Mcnulty and Osborn should have beaten out DT in practice by now, I stated that earlier that Osborn could be a gamer and DT has proven not to be, even though DT might have outperformed Osborn enough in practice to warrant having no pressure to be pulled (apparently). Maybe Osborn goes in there and lights it up, maybe he doesn't but it seems like at this point it would be worth a try.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As for the argument that Mcnulty and Osborn should have beaten out DT in practice by now, I stated that earlier that Osborn could be a gamer and DT has proven not to be, even though DT might have outperformed Osborn enough in practice to warrant having no pressure to be pulled (apparently). Maybe Osborn goes in there and lights it up, maybe he doesn't but it seems like at this point it would be worth a try.

Cooper Jones could be a gamer. My left foot COULD be a gamer. That 5'3" cheerleader COULD be a gamer. Maybe we should give them all a shot, as long as there's arbitrary qualifiers for inclusion.

At this point, you still have a chance to win a decent number of games. The coaches appear loathe (wisely so) to create more issues on offense than they already have by implementing a short leash on Thompson. He won the job last year. He won it again this year. Perhaps the "apparent" lack of pressure to be pulled is that the coaches know what they have behind Thompson. After all, they've seen the kids every day.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1