...is McCarney really a good coach?

meangreener

Give it time? Seriously? I have been hearing that BS since we went back to Division 1. The situation we are in is embarrassing. We are losing the support of people that have been fans for a long time. A couple of my friends already cancelled their trips for Homecoming weekend because it's depressing and repetitive. Can you really blame someone for not coming in town, spending money, only to feel like crap?

We will win a few more, probably lose more than we win, and the season will fizzle out again. This cycle of failure truly sad.

I will keep watching and being upset with UNT and the Cowboys.

What record were you expecting?

I can see the progress that is being made. A young team with plenty of talent redshirting as well. People expect to go from 1-11 to a stud team overnight. Crazy expectations for coaches these days.

Edited by Greenhorn
  • Upvote 2

We built through the draft. Would you stop trolling me?

You made the comment about the Texans and how "that is improving." I just asked how long it took. Your response above gets to my point. Compare drafts to recruiting classes. How many did it take Kubiak to put together his team? Quite a few more than Mac has been given recruiting classes, moron.

Greenhorn, I wouldn't normally compare college to pros, but as noted above, I was responding to Houston d-bag #2.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, because I'm from Houston and am not okay with you people making fun of it I'm "Houston D-Bag #2". You're UNT D-Bag #1000. People like you make me question why I went here. Luckily you're just a minute part of the fanbase. Anyway, I was angry over the loss and probably overreacted. McCarney deserves time.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 3

Dodge was an arrogant, horrible college coach, way in over his head. Comparing Mac to Dodge is apples to oranges. Mac still is cleaning up the splatter trail of diahrreah Todd Dodge left around the football program. Mac truely deserves the time to get this thing righted. We can't deny he's at least got it pointed in the right direction. He's just got to get the right parts on it to get moving steady...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Phases of North Texas Football:

1) Fire losing coach

2) Hire new coach

3) Claim new coach is great hire

4) Build expectations for new coach

5) New coach loses

6) Call for "Patience"

7) New coach continues to lose

8) Reference "bare cupboard"

9) New coach continues to lose

10) Blame angry fans for holding to expectations created for/by new coach in Phase 4

11) New coach continues to lose

12) Fire coach (SEE Phase 1)

• Upvote 6

I'll should you results oriented football programs...ie Houson....after their first loss to Texas State...off coordinator...fired....now that is demanding and expecting results...

I think what you mean is, he resigned.

So if what you mean by demanding results is, UH hires guys that quit as soon as it gets tough.... one game.... then I agree.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, because I'm from Houston and am not okay with you people making fun of it I'm "Houston D-Bag #2". You're UNT D-Bag #1000. People like you make me question why I went here. Luckily you're just a minute part of the fanbase. Anyway, I was angry over the loss and probably overreacted. McCarney deserves time.

1) I never resort to personal attacks or city attacks

2) I've only said one derogatory thing about one person- cougar king

3) stop taking everything so seriously

4) I'm traditionally the strongest of the give the dude time contingent.

I think what you mean is, he resigned.

So if what you mean by demanding results is, UH hires guys that quit as soon as it gets tough.... one game.... then I agree.

No, our president was pissed off and went down to the AD office immediately after the game. Levine fired Nesbitt and asked him to leave quietly. Nesbitt was never the right fit for the team and this was a problem ever since he was hired in February. Losing the Texas State game was the final straw. So that is actually why he is formally listed as resigning.

We do not lose to inferior teams like Texas State and take it lightly. Levine is still on thin ice for that, how we do the rest of this season will determine if he gets another year. Our President WILL NOT allow us to regress in football and I admire that.

Edited by Cougar King

1) Fire losing coach

2) Hire new coach

5) New coach loses

6) Call for "Patience"

10) Blame angry fans for holding to expectations created for/by new coach in Phase 4

tumblr_m22bqakf3J1qahsy1o1_500.jpg

With all the negative going on, let's ponder a positive scenario for a change.

What do you think would happen if (when) Coach Mac turns the program around and starts building a consistent 7/8/9 win a year program. Do you think he is at the point in his career that he would stick with North Texas (ala coach snyder at KState)? The trouble with up and coming coaches like Dykes at La Tech is that they usually use their success to move somewhere else.

It seemed like when Dodge was here, all he was worried about doing is showing the world how smart he was and tried to schedule games the program had no business playing in so he could show them how great his offense was and 'look at me'.

I don't get that vibe from Coach Mac.

• Upvote 1

You made the comment about the Texans and how "that is improving." I just asked how long it took. Your response above gets to my point. Compare drafts to recruiting classes. How many did it take Kubiak to put together his team? Quite a few more than Mac has been given recruiting classes, moron.

Greenhorn, I wouldn't normally compare college to pros, but as noted above, I was responding to Houston d-bag #2.

I was agreeing with you. Sorry for misunderstanding.

No, our president was pissed off and went down to the AD office immediately after the game. Levine fired Nesbitt and asked him to leave quietly. Nesbitt was never the right fit for the team and this was a problem ever since he was hired in February. Losing the Texas State game was the final straw. So that is actually why he is formally listed as resigning.

We do not lose to inferior teams like Texas State and take it lightly. Levine is still on thin ice for that, how we do the rest of this season will determine if he gets another year. Our President WILL NOT allow us to regress in football and I admire that.

Hopefully our president- Rawlins- will act likewise and not let us regress...we don't need another TD situation (and Im not saying that is what we have now...lets just not end up in the same type of situation)

Again, people there appears to be a disconnect between the situation at NT and the expectations. UoH was one game from a BCS bowl with a Heisman candidate QB last year. This year they lost to a first year FBS move up. The OC who was fired had been a bad fit in organization since the day he was hired. The TXST loss was the last straw, it was NOT the first problem. He was not fired over one game but after a series of issues.

Not one of those things applies to our situation.

Coach Mac already has more wins in less than 1.5 seasons than Dodge had in 3.75. It's not realistic to expect a national championship team in a second year from a team that had six straight losing seasons. We now go into games expecting to win and are hurt with a loss. That is improvement right there. Lets see where we are at the end of the season, not less than half way in.

• Upvote 4

I have been around here 40+ years, and yes it takes time. Look at Fry's first couple of years and half the board was at aone house of worship this morning praying for his return.

This coaching staff is the best we have had since then, and they deserve more than a year a half. This team is young, had minimal depth when Dodge departed and will continue to improve. Fans jumping on and off the bandwagon like fleas on a stray dog is ridiculous. They are attempting to right over 30 years of wrongs. Nobody said it was easy being a North Texas fan, but a dose of realism never hurt.

Great Post! And so this inspires me to ask a much more pertinent question.

Are we better D-1 fans than Coach McCarney is a D-1 Coach?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1) Fire losing coach

2) Hire new coach

5) New coach loses

6) Call for "Patience"

I dont think this applies to coach Mac for another year, but your process is absolutely dead on for what we do here.

Edited by UNT90