The CougarKing Comes to GMG Thread (With Guest Star MeanGreener)

Cougar King

photo-41190.jpg?_r=1349004358

Well, as you guys know we blew out Rice and took our foot off the gas en-route to an easy victory. You guys edged out Florida Atlantic and went home with a win. Now that we both have taken care of some owls, its time for our game.

I have ties to both schools, but I'm taking my Coogs in this one, here's why. First of all, The Rob is one of the toughest stadiums to play in. (We only lost about 5 games there in the last 5-6 years), we wre 0-3 before Saturday and still brought 30k+ to Reliant. It's a given that the Rob will be sold-out or near sold-out by Friday. UNT has historically had trouble playing in a hostile environment and the red and the anarchic feel the Rob has, makes most teams uncomfortable. Second, we have one of the best passing attacks in the country, Piland has almost thrown for 2,000 yards this season, we have a young but talented corps of receivers in Spencer, McDuffie, Rodriguez, our 5-star recruit Greenberry and a few others. We have arguably the best running back in C-USA in Simms. Our defense has been no slouch lately either. Our safeties WILL blitz and knock Thompson's lights out if he doesn't get rid of the ball.

Cougars- 45

Mean Green- 17

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Cougar King...Rice is a program that should be D1-AA....there are some high school teams that could give Rice a tough game if not beat them. If Bailiff lasts the rest of the season, it will surprise everyone. Don't hang your hat on beating Rice Owls. UH should be more concerned about loosing to Tx St and La Tech than excited about beating Rice.

UNT - 31

HOUSTON - 14

Edited by trussbussdad
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I'm taking the Mean Green over Cougar High as well...I think the offense comes alive...Olen gets 3FG's and Thompson hits on 2 TD throws and UNT get one rushing....

Final Score:

Mean Green 30

Cougar High 20

UNT seems to play better on the road and remembers last year's game at Apogee!

• Upvote 2

Cougar King...Rice is a program that should be D1-AA....there are some high school teams that could give Rice a tough game if not beat them. If Bailiff lasts the rest of the season, it will surprise everyone. Don't hang your hat on beating Rice Owls. UH should be more concerned about loosing to Tx St and La Tech than excited about beating Rice.

LET THE CUSA RIVALRY BEGIN!!!

UNT - 31

HOUSTON - 14

As I recall, you guys lost to Rice last time you played. Don't forget that this is our last season in C-USA. We'll be in the Big East in 2013. The main thing comes down to whether or not UNT's secondary which has always been the Mean Green's Achilles heel can stop UH receivers.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

As I recall, you guys lost to Rice last time you played. Don't forget that this is our last season in C-USA. We'll be in the Big East in 2013. The main thing comes down to whether or not UNT's secondary which has always been the Mean Green's Achilles heel can stop UH receivers.

You obviously haven't been paying close attention to UNT this year. Has our secondary blow a few coverages? Yes, but it's far from our "Achilles heal." That title belongs to our offense and more specifically, our QB situation.

Our defense will keep us in the game, but right now I don't think we have an offense to score enough points.

My early prediction: UH-28 UNT-17

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I really really want to be a UNT homer as I always am...but our offense in the red zone scares me. We had three touchdown opportunities handed to us on a silver platter by FAU's penalties and we couldn't convert. :sick:

Our defense has been holding up well against teams, and kudos to them. But Houston is capable of putting up a decent amount of points and we need our offense to dominate the game to 1) Keep the defense fresh and 2) Put up more points than Houston. If we're able to keep Houston's D honest by throwing the ball around more effectively so that they don't stack the box and also convert in the red zone, I think we can win it.

Unfortunately, our offense hasn't been great at doing those two things thus far.

If Offense Clicks and Defense Stands

North Texas - 27

Houston - 21

If Offense Struggles in Red Zone and Lets Houston Stack the Box

North Texas - 10

Houston - 24

Here's to the offense clicking and the defense having a hell of a game!

GO MEAN GREEN! BEAT HOUSTON! :rock:

Edited by MeanGreenGlory
  • Upvote 2

I also have ties to both schools. However, I'm going with the Mean Green in this one.

Here is why:

1. Piland did not beat Rice yesterday. Charles Sims did. True, Piland did have a few good series where the Coog offense looked like the Coog offense but I still saw the same no-touch-passes at receiver's feet. Rice could not stop Sims who had a very nice game. However, UNT has been stout this year against the run so I do not see Sims running all over UNT like they did Rice.

2. Rice looked downright awful. Without their starting QB the game was over before it started. They offense was, well, worse than ours against Troy.

3. Hostile environment? Not this year, my first game at the Rob was the loss to Texas State. If they can go in there and run all over UH's defense, you better believe a better UNT club can do the same.

UNT: 28

UH: 24

Go Coogs

but

GO MEAN GREEN!

Edited by Eastwood Eagle
  • Upvote 4

If I recall, Rice played without their QB last night and the replacement looked really bad.

Houston creates a brand new defensive alignment, starting 5 defensive lineman and 6 linebackers, all of which line up no more than 4 yards from the line of scrimmage. They call this the Mac attack.

UNT runs the ball straight into this defense 20 times in the 1st half, passing the ball only 8 times, with only 4 completions. All pass plays come on 3rd and long.

The defense does the best it can, but wears down in a 38-7 loss.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Houston creates a brand new defensive alignment, starting 5defensive lineman and 6 linebackers, all of which line up no more than 4 yards from the line of scrimmage. They call this the Mac attack.

UNT runs the ball straigt into this defense 20 times in the 1st half, passing the ball only 8 times, with only 4 completions. All pass plays come on 3rd and long.

The defense does the best it can, but wears down in a 38-7 loss.

Sounds much too realistic...

• Upvote 1

I hope a lot of you Mean Green fans show up for this in-state battle. Be respectful, cheer loud for your team and we will all have a jolly good time. We have too many weapons on offense and our D has been clicking since the UCLA game. Should be a good game.

Troy is ranked with the Cogs on offense & they were held to 14. Wasn't Rice without their QB ? You D has "clicked" for one game since you've only played Rice after losing to UCLA.

Edited by MeanGreen61