K-State battles past gritty North Texas

Harry

9/16/2012

By ARNE GREEN Salina Journal

MANHATTAN - The lights were on, but Bill Snyder had a sinking feeling nobody was home.

Whether his Kansas State Wildcats were gazing south toward Norman, Okla., or simply looking past North Texas, the signs were ominous.

"I hated playing this one at night because it's been on my mind very definitely for a long time and certainly was all during the course of the day," Snyder said after the No. 15-ranked Wildcats stuttered and sputtered for more than a half Saturday before pulling away to a 35-21 victory at sold-out Snyder Family Stadium. "I never try to predict those things, but it wasn't hard to see it coming.

"If you don't prepare yourself well, most anything can happen. We weren't very well prepared."

Though the Wildcats (3-0) swore North Texas had their full attention, next week's Big 12 opener at No. 5 Oklahoma clearly cast a long shadow.

"These games are hard to prepare for," defensive end Ryan Mueller said. "It's sometimes hard taking teams that aren't conference teams seriously, but we know that these types of games are usually dogfights."

North Texas definitely took the fight to K-State early, scoring first and holding the Wildcats to minus-1 yard in the first quarter. But Tyler Lockett kept it from being a complete disaster.

Read more: http://www.saljournal.com/sports/story/KSUOPTIONAL2012-09-16T01-11-27