I'm proud of this North Texas team

Harry

I'm just an alum and fan -- but I felt something tonight that I haven't felt in the entire time I have been following this program which dates back to 1988....

You can't expect to go into a hostile environment like #15 K-State and expect to be able to make mistakes or get any calls in your favor.

That said, I can honestly say after tonight - I feel better than I have since I can possibly remember (including 2002 when QB Andrew Smith was alive and we had won a bowl game against Cincy).

We performed well against the #15 team in the country tonight. In fact, I would argue we won the line of scrimmage against them.

There were two reviewed calls that I knew would end up against us -- you can't expect that to happen on the road on a paycheck game against a Big 12 team and Big 12 refs.

We are missing a few key pieces -- however, this team is so different from what we have become accustomed to. I applaud Coach Mac for building something special here. I applaud the players for an outstanding effort against.

If you are a North Texas fan you have to be thrilled about the change that is so apparent in this program right now. If there is one clear message from the game tonight it is that Coach Mac knows how to build a program. I shudder to think what this team will look like in just a couple of years. The change is now clearly been displayed on a national television broadcast cause believe me the OU fans and even the UT fans were watching this game to scout K-State If you are not on it now - -- you better get on the band wagon soon because it will be very full before the end of this season. The future is very VERY bright for this Mean Green football program!!!

GMG!

This post has been promoted to an article

I really enjoyed watching the Green tonight. They looked good and the score did not tell the story at all. We dominated them. At one point in the 2nd quarter we had 11 first downs to their 0 and they had a total of 3 yards. Of course the kick return aloud us to keep the ball. But still. I hope some folks turn out next week. This team deserves it.

• Upvote 3

I came to UNT in 06 so I've never seen us play like this. My football boner is alive and well, watch out SBC.

Really sorry you missed out on the early 2000s run. It was a fun time to be a Mean Green Student. This football team is really giving the students now something to be excited about. Hope they can keep it up.

What I take away from this game:

1. This program is turning around.

2. Special teams still need a kick in the ass. Watching Mac on the sidelines, I assure you they will be working on them this week.

3. We went toe to toe against the #15 team in the nation and against a HEISMAN CANDIDATE, and dominated them on more than one occaision throughout the game.

4. You expected the iincomplete pass to be called a touchdown. That is what killed us. This generation's '88 tu call?

5. Our defense is good.

6. Jimmerson is a badass, and wants to score EVERYTIME he touches the ball.

7. I have been following NT since 1997. I hate losing and have never been happy with a loss. This is the first time I have felt we had a chance to win, and then disappointed about coming up short against a ranked team. I had to take a breath and realize what this program is acomplishing.

The score SUCKS. Losing SUCKS ASS, but in the grand scheme of things, this was a great day!

• Upvote 4

What I take away from this game:

1. This program is turning around.

2. Special teams still need a kick in the ass. Watching Mac on the sidelines, I assure you they will be working on them this week.

3. We went toe to toe against the #15 team in the nation and against a HEISMAN CANDIDATE, and dominated them on more than one occaision throughout the game.

4. You expected the iincomplete pass to be called a touchdown. That is what killed us. This generation's '88 tu call?

5. Our defense is good.

6. Jimmerson is a badass, and wants to score EVERYTIME he touches the ball.

7. I have been following NT since 1997. I hate losing and have never been happy with a loss. This is the first time I have felt we had a chance to win, and then disappointed about coming up short against a ranked team. I had to take a breath and realize what this program is acomplishing.

The score SUCKS. Losing SUCKS ASS, but in the grand scheme of things, this was a great day!

ditto on #1, #2, #3, ESPECIALLY #4, #5, and #6...........................................................and, in Coach Mac's words: LOSING SUCKS, IS TERRIBLE, AND WE HATE IT!

• Upvote 1

Even in the 2001-2004 run, I don't remember feeling so good about our performances on the road against ranked opponents. I remember hanging close with Texas when Booger sacked Chris Simms like 6 times. I remember Cobbs scoring the game winning TD against Arizona only to have the official rob us. I think we had one respectable outing against OU and playing teams like Colorado and Air Force tough. I remember Andy Blount scoring a long TD in the 1st quarter against Arkansas before they went on to blow us out. A bowl win over Cincy and blowout of Baylor came from those years. Hopefully something similar is on the not so distant horizon.

• Upvote 1

This all sums up what I posted on another thread...this game hurt because we all felt we could have won...and it has been a long time since we have played a top-15 team, and during the game, expected to win.

I remember going to UT to watch us play during the bowl years, sacking Chris Simms 8 times, holding Cedric Benson under 50 yds rushing on like 2o carries, but we had ZERO offense b/c Scott Hall got hurt on like the 3rd play of the game, and true freshman Andrew Smith had to play in th first game of the season...not a good scenario

My point being we are building a pretty good defense, but an offense that can score on ranked teams...this is something I have never seen, and I'm not the longest Mean Green follower, but I have been to nearly all home games since 1999...if this keeps going in this direction, and there is no reason to think it won't, we are all, young an old, in line to see something NO Mean Geen fan has ever seen

• Upvote 4

We have a very special group and we will only get better. We dominated the O & D lines in this game and in the LSU game..... I'm blown away when I watch them drive these top 20 teams back! Great feeling and you cant help but be optimistic about our future.

These are the areas I feel cost us tonight:

1. Special Teams

2. Linebackers and Secondary on play action pass plays.

Although we were a step behind in these areas, we played really well. But I agree with Coach Mac that we should go into each game expected to win and our expectations of winning have changed. This team is hungry to win and they will be very special this year in Sunbelt play. Next year we will be ready for Conference USA and should have a legitimate shot at a conference championship!

Go Mean Green

• Upvote 3

I cant remember the last time I felt like a North Texas team had a shot at beating a good team. The home opener at Tulsa when we had PC & Jamario in the back field to only get spanked, may have been the last time. Special teams play turned this game in KSU's favor.

I was really impressed at how the OL & DL played for most of the game. DT was much improved at QB. This team could make some noise in SBc play. I'm hoping the TSU game was just a fluke and not a sign of a team that plays to their opponents level, week to week.

Lots to be happy about.

• Upvote 1

We're a good football team bottom line.

A GOOD football team? Not even close. NT played way above its head and K State was flat. A team cannot surrender a 99-yard kickoff return and be a GOOD football team. A GOOD football team's punter does not punt the ball 15 yards in a critical portion of the game. A GOOD football team does not dominate time of possesion 37:04 to 22:56 and lose by 2 touchdowns.

A GOOD football team does not wiss a PAT or allow a makeable FG to be blocked.

Not yet truly great in all areas, but we look like we can have a consistently good football team from here on out.

I can't name an area where NT is GREAT. The OLine is solid, the running game is improving, QB play is also improving to almost the point of saying it's not a worry. The DLine and LB's played well. The DB's surrendered 230 yards and 2 TD's to a QB that is a poor man's Tim Tebow.

After this game, it's very hard to not be a believer in Mac & Company. Excellent effort.

I will agree with this statement, wholeheartedly. There is still work to do, but the future is bright for an improving Football team.

Go ahead flame away. I can already see the minuses from a few of you.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5