North Texas knows it must pass against K-State

Harry

It’s a simple case of cause-and-effect for North Texas quarterback Derek Thompson once he enters Snyder Family Stadium on Saturday.

If he can’t show he can throw the ball effectively against No. 15 Kansas State, the Wildcats will, undoubtedly, stack the box on defense.

And that could mean trouble for the Mean Green, already four-touchdown underdogs.

“I know (Kansas State defensive coordinator) Tom Hayes,” North Texas coach Dan McCarney said. “And he’ll be grinning out the side of his mouth if he sees our passing game isn’t working.”

Through two games, the Mean Green’s passing attack has indeed struggled. Thompson, a 6-foot-4, 226-pound junior, was eight of 21 passing for 143 yards and one interception in a season-opening loss to LSU, and 11 of 24 with 145 yards and one interception in a 34-7 win over Texas Southern last Saturday.

He threw for 1,759 yards, 11 touchdowns and six interceptions in 2011, his first year as full-time starter.

“(Thompson) has just misfired on some throws he usually makes,” McCarney said. “We don’t have draft picks all over the place on the offensive side of the ball, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be successful. Our first two games left a lot to be desired.”

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/12/3812151/north-texas-knows-it-must-pass.html

I wasnt really worried as much about not being able to throw against LSU- that's one of those teams that will give everyone's passing game fits. But if ever there was a time to load up the passing stats, it would have been last weekend against Texas Southern. And we flat-out didn't perform. It won't get any easier.

That alone is my reason for not having much confidence (as a fan) going into Manhattan. To upset, you've got to have a multi-faceted attack.

But here's to hoping I'm wrong.

• Upvote 2