Thinking about UNT’s window of opportunity

Harry

The big news of the day in Dallas yesterday was Jerry Jones talking about the Cowboys “window of opportunity” There is some debate over whether that time span is before Tony Romo and the rest of the gang are over the hill or whether Jones was referring to the point at which he will be buried on a hill.

The point is that debate got me to thinking a little about UNT’s window of opportunity. It’s something I have talked with a few people about because when I look at a myriad of factors, 2013 has always been the year that jumped out at me.

If UNT is ever going to end its string of consecutive losing seasons that now stands at seven, that year seems like the best bet.

Remember, we are all still on the “Dan Wagon” here. Dan McCarney is doing a great job at UNT. If anyone is ever going to get UNT back to the point where it was during the miracle bowl run of the early-2000s (when UNT went to four straight New Orleans Bowls without a new stadium, a new conference and a whole lot else), McCarney is the guy to get UNT there.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/05/thinking-about-unts-window-of-opportunity.html/

Good article! 2013 is the year a lot of us look to for a "break out" season. I firmly believe that the talent on that squad can go compete with most of the teams/programs in C-USA

Just checking out Phil Steele's 2012 College Football this is the number of starters who are seniors from CUSA and future CUSA schools who will be gone after Fall, 2012.

North Texas: 9

La Tech........15

FIU...............12

USM.............12

ECU...............6

Marshall.........4

UAB...............7

Tulsa............12

UTEP...........13

Rice...............5

Tulane...........8

NOTE: UTSA not in the above group because of their being an upstart program.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I believe Jerry was actually referring to his window of opportunity to win a championship as the owner. Regardless, I think our window of opportunity is as open as it has been in years...maybe ever. I truly think that if we did not make this conference move, our window would be almost shut...for a long long time. The only things that would be going for us would be the new stadium and the basketball team (depending on what they do in the next couple of seasons). This move, plus the stadium, allows us to sell football recruits the chance to play new regional rivals (with trophies in the works), greater TV coverage, and the chance to play in a greater variety of bowls. Plus more stuff that I'm too tired to think about. I believe our window has opened. It's brand new, so it will be much harder for it to come crashing down. And the weather feels great. You feel that? I think I just felt a breeze blow through that newly opened window and the forecast looks great. Except for some reason the sky looks green.

Edited by GreenGuy123

We can easily go 6-6 this season. We have to beat ULM, FAU, Troy, and MT again plus win the two games we should absolutely win against USA & Southern Tx. We would wind up 5-3 in conference and getting to skip FIU for USA will be huge. I don't get it when people say we could be better and wind up with a worse record than last year, we could actually go bowling despite how poor the wins will be. I haven't looked at the rest of the conferences schedules but everyone is skipping one opponent to play USA. We are fortunate enough to skip the best team in the conference. We also have both ULL & Ark St. at home, if we're on a roll and do the unthinkable(win more than 1 game in a row) I don't think that it would be difficult to get one of those games at Apogee. We have good enough players in the trenches to compete with the middle of the sun belt, whether or not we can go above that this season is up to the players.

Edited by ntmeangreen11

Every game is a window of opportunity, NT has to get better, has nothing to do with CUSA. NT was an awful team in the Belt since 2004 and just got to mediocre last year. On paper there is nothing to say that NT will be any better if as good as last year. NT needs a season like 2001 when things just begin to click.

I don't think NT can rely on an exception recruiting class like spawned the 2001 through 2004 domination of the Belt. What NT has to rely on is the beginning of a winning McCarney system. Better preparation, coaching and training should begin to show if it in fact exists. You build for 2013 by getting a lot better in 2012.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1