ODU may not be done: MTSU could be replacement?

Harry

Old Dominion is studying a move to a reconfigured Conference USA, sources say, and has discussed membership with a number of different leagues, according to athletic director Wood Selig.

ODU recently has hosted Conference USA officials on campus as part of discussions about joining the all-sports league, which presently stretches from the mid-Atlantic region south to Florida and Alabama and west to Texas and Oklahoma.

Sources confirmed that a CBSSports.com report that had ODU among six schools joining Conference USA wasn't entirely accurate.

Conference USA is losing four members to the Big East Conference, leaving the league with eight members for 2013, including East Carolina.

But C-USA officials want to expand to 14 schools. By the end of the week, they plan to announce the addition of five schools: Charlotte of the Atlantic 10, Florida International and North Texas State of the Sun Belt and Louisiana Tech and Texas San Antonio of the Western Athletic Conference.

Conference USA is losing four members to the Big East Conference, leaving the league with eight members for 2013, including East Carolina.

But C-USA officials want to expand to 14 schools. By the end of the week, they plan to announce the addition of five schools: Charlotte of the Atlantic 10, Florida International and North Texas State of the Sun Belt and Louisiana Tech and Texas San Antonio of the Western Athletic Conference.

Old Dominion, a member of the Colonial Athletic Association since 1991, is on the table. But a source said that the Monarchs were granted an extension in order to allow the school's leadership, including the Board of Visitors, to weigh a possible conference jump.

The length of the extension is unclear, but C-USA officials have other potential targets for the 14th member. Middle Tennessee State of the Sun Belt Conference is most often mentioned.

Read more: http://www.dailypres...0,4681537.story

Maybe I'm crazy but id rather add ODU than MTSU. I want to distance ourselves from everything that is the SunBelt. If CUSA reloads with a bunch of belt schools, I feel like CUSA would be perceived the same as the belt has been perceived by most of the sports world. Nobody wants that. Although schools like ODU and utsa have little or no fb history, at least people don't know what expect which creates excitement. Also, with the loss of Memphis, CUSA should really try to grab a strong bball school which will at least add value somewhere if the fb program is weak.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 5

No presence in Tennessee is almost like having no presence in Florida - its a big hole in the footprint. If ODU falls out I think MTSU should be an immediate grab. Now thats a footprint: Texas 4, Louisiana 2, Alabama 1, Mississippi 1, Tennessee 1, North Carolina 2, West Virgina 1, Florida 1, Oklahoma 1.

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I don't want a buch of fcs either. I really don't care who they add as long as its not another school from the belt. The more belt schools that are added to CUSA the more people will percieve it as a garbage conference like they do the belt. We don't like to admit around here but most people think he belt is a joke. So much of sports is about perception. The sec is considered the best confrence and the rankings of their teams reflects this regardless of whether these teams really are the best.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I just don't see why people want Mtsu, akst, Lala, and fau. We're trying to move to a better confrence. I know we have all made good friends at these universities and have created some good memories but these teams have been at the bottom on college football (for a decade) for a reason. Time to be selfish and leave them in the dust.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I guess its the fact they have all recently kicked out butt over the past few years have scored some solid out of conference wins, MTSU lives in a large market and fields some solid bball programs. I just think they have done enough and with Memphis leaving we should strive to secure a presence in another large market. I like LaLa and Arkie State but they are not first on my list to invite.

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Think of it this way, utsa could come in and be the next south Florida. Mtsu or any other belt school could come in and and continue their recent history of being nothing special. If utsa is successful, good for everybody in cusa, if they are awful, we're in the same position as if we had added another belt school. I guess I'm just a hater....

• Upvote 1

Maybe I'm crazy but id rather add ODU than MTSU. I want to distance ourselves from everything that is the SunBelt. If CUSA reloads with a bunch of belt schools, I feel like CUSA would be perceived the same as the belt has been perceived by most of the sports world. Nobody wants that. Although schools like ODU and utsa have little or no fb history, at least people don't know what expect which creates excitement. Also, with the loss of Memphis, CUSA should really try to grab a strong bball school which will at least add value somewhere if the fb program is weak.

Me too, ODU has everything to become a great program. They are a recognized name and bring up the CUSA brand. I hope they join.

• Upvote 1

Agree. I still think most know who ODU is, but they still struggle to figure out MTSU.

• Upvote 1

Old Dominion is the Texas State of Virginia. UTSA, ODU, FIU, MT .... this is not exciting. Please please Lord, deliver us from this and put us in the MWC.

Why to be alongside San Jose and Utah State?? Can not wait for a November trip to Cheyenne freezing my nads off.

Edited by untbowler
  • Downvote 1

Old Dominion is the Texas State of Virginia. UTSA, ODU, FIU, MT .... this is not exciting. Please please Lord, deliver us from this and put us in the MWC.

Why do you have such a boner for the Mountain West? They are running out of teams over there and have no schools in Texas? Seriously what's your angle?

Why do you have such a boner for the Mountain West? They are running out of teams over there and have no schools in Texas? Seriously what's your angle?

Said this at least a month ago but..............if the MWC were to have received their AQ status (when that was relevant) with subsequent and additional revenues they

would have told CUSA to...................take a hike.

UTEP seems to like what they see with CUSA now that UTSA and North Texas are in it, but who knows what tomorrow holds with any of this.

Even TCU will need to keep their fingers crossed that UT will not want to buddy back up with TAMU and join the SEC or even the PAC 12 to be the "ONLY" school from the

Lone Star State in that league. Nothing ever stays the same should be the NCAA's new motto.

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1