Tony Benford named new North Texas Coach!

KoldBeer

According to the release from the MGC, he recruited Zo at Nebraska and Wooden and Odufuwa to ASU.

Not sure what happened at ASU, but sometimes you just have to move on. Anyway, this is what George Odufuwa said. Sounds like he has high respect for Coach Benford.

Benford recruited George Odufuwa and Keith Wooden while he was at Arizona State. Both later transferred to UNT and helped lead the Mean Green to the NCAA tournament — Wooden in 2007 and Odufuwa in 2010.

“Coach Benford has a good personality and he can recruit,” Odufuwa said. “That translates anywhere you go. He will be a good fit at North Texas.”

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Interesting to read back through this thread.

It seems that those claiming that "everyone was excited about the Benford hire" were really the only ones excited about the Benford hire.

And Coach, after your first year, the pressure to win is now x 10.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's fun going back and

Interesting to read back through this thread.

It seems that those claiming that "everyone was excited about the Benford hire" were really the only ones excited about the Benford hire.

And Coach, after your first year, the pressure to win is now x 10.

It's fun going back & looking at some old post

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2

I sure hope this works out. I just don't like hiring an assistant from outside the program to be the next head coach. Just too risky--usually, you either get the next up-and-comer who stays with you for a few years or you get Vic Trilli. At this point in time, the program seemed like it was at a point where we could have just promoted from within. This is how Butler, Gonzaga, Xavier, and Murray State made their programs self-sustaining for longer periods of time. I'm sure there are lots of mid-majors that have risen up with a new hire of an outside assistant with no previous head coaching experience before, but I cannot think of any off the top of my head. It seemed like Forrest or Fraschilla made a lot more sense, but I think we all owe it to both RV and Coach Benford to give them support. Here's to hoping that in 20 years, we are watching games played on The Tony Benford Court at the Super Pit!!

I think we got Vic Trilli'd...

• Upvote 2

I know everybody hates twitter but I liked this comment on hire (National writer for The Daily):

Dan Wolken ‏ @DanWolken

No surprise, but North Texas made a better hire than SMU.

7m Ryan Coatney ‏

@DanWolken pretty sure benford was a finalist at SMU. apparently they didn't think he'd be a better hire.

Dan Wolken ‏ @DanWolken Close

@_coat They were wrong. There's a reason North Texas has won at basketball and SMU hasn't.

Whoever Dan Wolken is, he might want to apologize to Ryan Coatney... :ermm:

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

I know everybody hates twitter but I liked this comment on hire (National writer for The Daily):

Dan Wolken ‏ @DanWolken

No surprise, but North Texas made a better hire than SMU.

7m Ryan Coatney ‏

@DanWolken pretty sure benford was a finalist at SMU. apparently they didn't think he'd be a better hire.

Dan Wolken ‏ @DanWolken Close

@_coat They were wrong. There's a reason North Texas has won at basketball and SMU hasn't.

• Upvote 1

Dan Wolken is probably in line to be the next Eric Capper if he ever leaves UNT...

Todd Dodge, Shanice Stephens, and Tony Benford for head coaches in the 3 revenue sports, all hired by the same AD. And said AD just received an extension...

Congratulations, RV--you have to have the most secure job of any AD in America. I'm not even kidding, either.

• Upvote 1