Tony Benford named new North Texas Coach!

KoldBeer

*shrug* OK.

If this preliminary report is true: Welcome aboard coach Benford. You just so happened to picked up one of our 2 consistent winning programs (W Soccer being the other).

We have high expectations of you... immediately.

Let's get those recruiting ties going early. We have offers out to, and legitimate interest from, at least 3 of the top 12 players in the state. One of which, it appears, you have been in contact with already. No Pressure!

We'll adore you if you win! :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1

I think it's less an issue with Benford, but I think for many its more of a disappointment in not landing some of the other names associated with our search.

Perception is Benford = Forrest...at least from what I've read here in the past few weeks.

We really have no idea what sort of negotiations went down...Capel was my man, but I think that was just a rumor...Fran may or may not have been as interested, Forrest may never have been a consideration. RV knows how important a hire this is...so...welcome Coach Benford.

Thanks. Seems like a good hire to me, but I thought he was somewhat interchangeable with Forrest. Either way, welcome to North Texas and Denton Coach Benford. Hope you make us forget about losing JJ soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We all know that black men and white men can coach; the race card should not have been played. :thumbsd: I would have been happy with any of the top three candidates. The more I think about Tony Benford and the totality of his experience, the more I like what he brings to the table. Someone has to give the man a shot (he has earned it) and I will be proud to say that UNT recognized that and stepped up.

If you saw the Larry Brown press conference on the sports last night you know why Benford wouldn't want to be "in waiting". Better he should wear a green tie and kick SMUt's ass!

This is the best present I have received so far today on my 67th. :thumbsu:

• Upvote 2

I know ill get bashed, but go read Mitchell's twitter feed...I dont think he is happy about this! He said "this some mfing bs bro"

He also said:

"Congratulations To Coach Benford In Getting The Job...Should Be Really Good For The Program. We're Ready"

• Upvote 1

Pretty happy with this hire. I think UNT is really going after some quality coaches. Good luck Coach Benford and WELCOME to the Mean Green Nation. cannot wait to welcome you aboard in person soon.

Hey, if you want to know who the "usual suspects" are that will question and complain about your every move just send me a PM. OK, that's a joke folks...and should not be considered blasphemy.

We are all GREEN now...and everyone...everyone...will be behind you and doing all they can to help you and YOUR team be successful! You are going to love this town and these players and this university...BOOK IT!

:goodjob:

Coach Benford: What are our jersey's going to look like? Do you have any pull in fixing that sidewalk? How about a mid-court hanging scoreboard? So do we play Western Kentucky or North Carolina-Charlotte at the Super Pit next year? That's really my only questions.

I look forward to your press conference.

WELCOME COACH BENFORD, I like the hire!

FIFY

Edited by untjim1995

I think it's less an issue with Benford, but I think for many its more of a disappointment in not landing some of the other names associated with our search.

Perception is Benford = Forrest...at least from what I've read here in the past few weeks.

We really have no idea what sort of negotiations went down...Capel was my man, but I think that was just a rumor...Fran may or may not have been as interested, Forrest may never have been a consideration. RV knows how important a hire this is...so...welcome Coach Benford.

I guess I don't understand why we didn't just hire Forrest if we were going to go this route. In fact, Forrest may have more experience than this guy has.

I sure understood from stuff I read, that RV wanted to hire someone with head coaching experience, but I guess I didn't read enough.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I guess I don't understand why we didn't just hire Forrest if we were going to go this route. In fact, Forrest may have more experience than this guy has.

I sure understood from stuff I read, that RV wanted to hire someone with head coaching experience, but I guess I didn't read enough.

FWIW, Forrest has not been on the bench of two straight S16 appearances.

I think RV is star-eyed at all the success Benford has been a part of. Hard to overlook.

Edited by greenminer

He is falling into a good situation with this talent. But I don't think he is going to be allowed a honeymoon period.

Anything less than 20 wins/NCAA appearance with this talent is a big time disappointment. Most expect us to be pushing the top 25 and competing for a tourney win next year.

Tough for a brand new head coach to come into these expectations, but they're there.

Should be interesting.

• Upvote 7

*shrug* OK.

If this preliminary report is true: Welcome aboard coach Benford. You just so happened to picked up one of our 2 consistent winning programs (W Soccer being the other).

We have high expectations of you... immediately.

Let's get those recruiting ties going early. We have offers out to, and legitimate interest from, at least 3 of the top 12 players in the state. One of which, it appears, you have been in contact with already. No Pressure!

We'll adoow about re you if you win! :thumbsu:

And about tennis ?