Fran Fraschilla & North Texas

Much like a part-time beat writer... Fran Fraschilla has been showering attention to North Texas in the last year (especially). His comments about our assembled talent and how North Texas is doing things makes me think that WE could be a contender in bringing him back into coaching.

Statements like:

"Half of DFW's best players will always leave for places like UT, KU and Duke. The other half who stay home could win a lot of games here."

"Hard work getting to know coaches/players on personal level in DFW"

"Johnnie Jones and staff worked relentlessly when UNT program was not winning."

"They'll find good coach & NCAA bid next year."

"Spent weekend with some of DFW's best HS/AAU hoops coaches."

"Watched Johnny Jones build a solid program at UNT with DFW kids. If everyone stays-including Tony Mitchell, it's NCAA team."

The point is that some persons are not convinced that Fran is done with coaching but he is OBVIOUSLY in love with the DFW area...has a house in Dallas and really enjoys watching all of the talent in the area. He is almost on a mission to prove to the nation that DFW has THE defacto strongest concentrated basketball recruiting grounds. His relationships with AAU and HS teams in the area is almost unparalleled.

The question is.... would he want to take the reins? He already knows the players...their style and what they are about. He could step in and lead these kids to the promised land and have his scholarships lined up in no time for local talent on the 2013 class. Does he like all of the travelling that ESPN presents him with? Would he prefer to strictly focus on the DFW area and come home most every night? Does he want one more crack at coaching since there is bewilderment how he isn't currently a coach when his name was one of the brightest among up and coming coaches destined for GREAT success?

Head Coaching Exp- Check

Texas Recruiting Exp- Check

DFW Recruiting Exp- Check

Post Season Success- Check

176-99 Record

new_fran-1-2165.jpg

Is Fran our "homerun hire" and do you think he would take over?

I actually suggested him when JJ rumors to LSU first began a couple of weeks ago. He obviously knows the lay of the land as far as DFW basketball goes since his own son was into the AAU scene and everything.

Very intriguing idea if he wants to get back into coaching.

• Upvote 1

I think we have a winner

"I’m more ready to go back to coaching than I have been,” Fraschilla said. “I’m happy with everything I have accomplished at ESPN. If it was the right fit, I could see myself going back at this stage in my life.”

"His name occasionally pops up for coaching vacancies this time of year, but he says he has stayed committed to his TV job because it allowed him to live in Dallas and spend plenty of time with his family."

What better place to start it back up than to drive 30 miles away....keep your house in Dallas....and you already know all of the players and recruiting circles. It just makes too much sense!

I think we have a winner

"I'm more ready to go back to coaching than I have been," Fraschilla said. "I'm happy with everything I have accomplished at ESPN. If it was the right fit, I could see myself going back at this stage in my life."

"His name occasionally pops up for coaching vacancies this time of year, but he says he has stayed committed to his TV job because it allowed him to live in Dallas and spend plenty of time with his family."

What better place to start it back up than to drive 30 miles away....keep your house in Dallas....and you already know all of the players and recruiting circles. It just makes too much sense!

So, better to own in Dallas than rent in Denton?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Excuse my ignorance, but what makes Fran so good? After looking at his Wikipedia article, it seems he was pretty good, but I don't see how he's any better then Capel?

I'm guessing his impeccable use of genitalia tactics are probably what separates him and Capel when getting a team really motivated.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fran is a Meh for me...

Would rather have Capel or Forrest before Fran.

Unless we could get Scott Cross to come with Fran as head coach in waiting...

You would rather have an unproven head coach in Forrest over a proven one in Fran? I would love Fran if he wants to coach again. Not a big fan of Capel, but I am not sure why.

• Upvote 1

Cross might be waiting a long ass time since Franschilla's in his early 50's.

Kinda like Jankovic may be waiting a long ass time because Larry Brown apparently thinks he is in his 50s.

It was just a joke about SMU's crazy line of thought. But, it makes just about as much sense.

Fran never won a tournament game while coaching at St. Johns, or anywhere, for that matter. But it bothers me that he had St. John's resources and never advanced.

And yes, I would prefer Forrest of Fran. Proven recruiter who knows this team. If circumstances were different, I'd say go with a proven coach. Things aren't different.

Oh, and I would be good with Mike Davis ahead of Fran, also.

• Upvote 1