And this is not racist?

The people who care about whether someone is "Christian enough" are evangelicals. Most Democrats don't care about Romney being Mormon. It's the evangelicals who keep making statements about how he's not a true Christian.

No, they will just demonize both Romney and Santorum as being right wing religious nuts (which they aren't) in an attempt to scare the American people.

That's what they have done all the way back to Reagan. Same old tired playbook. Unfortunately, many buy into this political BS.

• Downvote 1

Obama is definitely a racist. Anyone who would try to act as if he were black when he's simply mulatto in an attempt to get African Americans to vote for him is a racist in my books.

Mulatto is actually an outdated term to use. Some might consider you racist for even using it. I don't, I'm just pointing out the irony here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No, they will just demonize both Romney and Santorum as being right wing religious nuts (which they aren't) in an attempt to scare the American people.

Santorum's religious extremism doesn't have to be demonized. He talks all the time about his obsessions with what people do in their own bedrooms.

On the subject of birth control, Santorum is against it. He calls it a "license to do things in the sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be. They're supposed to be within marriage, for purposes that are, yes, conjugal ... but also procreative."

So if you ever put a rubber on it, Santorum thinks you went against God. If you and your wife used birth control to wait until you were ready to have kids, you went against God.

That sound nutty to you?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Santorum's religious extremism doesn't have to be demonized. He talks all the time about his obsessions with what people do in their own bedrooms.

On the subject of birth control, Santorum is against it. He calls it a "license to do things in the sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be. They're supposed to be within marriage, for purposes that are, yes, conjugal ... but also procreative."

So if you ever put a rubber on it, Santorum thinks you went against God. If you and your wife used birth control to wait until you were ready to have kids, you went against God.

That sound nutty to you?

That sounds Catholic to me.

Do you seriously think he would impose that view on the American people? Are you seriously telling menthat you fear he will ban contraceptives? You do understand that he could never, and would never do that, correct?

The fact that you even think this is an issue in the campaign tells me that you have fallen for the democrat party line hook, line, and sinker.

Personal views and political views are different. Santorum knows this, as does Romney. If you really think Santorum would force Catholic beliefs on the country just because he is Catholic, I guess you would also think Romney is a proponent of sister wives.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The fact that you even think this is an issue in the campaign tells me that you have fallen for the democrat party line hook, line, and sinker.

Birth control is an issue because the Catholic bishops ordered their priests to read a letter at the pulpit criticizing a federal requirement to offer contraceptives in the insurance plans of the side businesses run by the church. Santorum, Romney and Gingrich picked up the ball and ran with it.

Santorum continues to talk about it. He won't ban contraception as president, but he's already said he'll cut all federal funds being spent on contraception. It *is* a campaign issue for him. I guess he wants there to be more unwanted pregnancies and STDs.

There are plenty of Catholic politicians on the left and right who don't share his nutty extremism on the issue. Most people stopped arguing against birth control decades ago.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Birth control is an issue because the Catholic bishops ordered their priests to read a letter at the pulpit criticizing a federal requirement to offer contraceptives in the insurance plans of the side businesses run by the church. Santorum, Romney and Gingrich picked up the ball and ran with it.

Santorum continues to talk about it. He won't ban contraception as president, but he's already said he'll cut all federal funds being spent on contraception. It *is* a campaign issue for him. I guess he wants there to be more unwanted pregnancies and STDs.

There are plenty of Catholic politicians on the left and right who don't share his nutty extremism on the issue. Most people stopped arguing against birth control decades ago.

If you are talking about decreased federal funding to Planned Parenthood, that is not political extremism at all.

The federal government should not dictate to any religious institution the benefits they must offer as an employer, especially when the benefit goes directly against that religion's belief.

All the rest is political gamesmanship by the Democrat party.

The federal government should not dictate to any religious institution the benefits they must offer as an employer, especially when the benefit goes directly against that religion's belief.

If the Catholic Church runs side businesses, they should follow the same rules as every other business. There is no constitutional right in this country to use religion to exempt yourself from laws your religion does not like.

In the Supreme Court case Employment Division v. Smith, the court ruled that religious liberty is not sufficient grounds to be exempt from laws. The court found that Oregon could deny unemployment benefits to people who were fired for consuming peyote as part of a religious tradition.

Antonin Scalia wrote the decision for the majority. "To permit this would be to make the professed doctrines of religious belief superior to the law of the land, and in effect to permit every citizen to become a law unto himself," Scalia wrote.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 5

That sounds Catholic to me.

Do you seriously think he would impose that view on the American people? Are you seriously telling menthat you fear he will ban contraceptives? You do understand that he could never, and would never do that, correct?

Personal views and political views are different. Santorum knows this, as does Romney. If you really think Santorum would force Catholic beliefs on the country just because he is Catholic, I guess you would also think Romney is a proponent of sister wives.

I love this line of BS reasoning: "He has nutty beliefs, but he would never try to impose them on us as the leader of the free world! He couldn't possibly!"

lol

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

That's what they have done all the way back to Reagan. Same old tired playbook. Unfortunately, many buy into this political BS.

---I disgree with the Reagean comment a lot.... He was Christian, but did not make a big deal of it.... It started bothering me when Falwell, Pat Robinson, and others on TV started mixing religion and politics. The worse I have heard came from Michael Reagan [ adopted son of former -president and not close to his other children] a few years ago on his radio program which ..was happened to be on when I got into car.. He commented something to the effect that ..."All real Christians vote Republican and if you weren't then you should really question the fact that you were truly a Christian".

--- I did vote for Reagan and even George Bush SR.... but not since then because of the attitudes that have evolved since the mid 90's....... also their running up the US debt ...plus screwing up the Texas budget and the lack of real support for education [ instead of just saying conservative and claiming to be pro-education ]. Their actions say otherwise.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

In a similar vein, was there not a run on guns and ammunition in 2008 because conservatives bought the line that Obama was going to ban everything hook line and sinker? Both sides encourage us to hate and fear the other and both sides profit handsomely from it.

• Upvote 2

In a similar vein, was there not a run on guns and ammunition in 2008 because conservatives bought the line that Obama was going to ban everything hook line and sinker? Both sides encourage us to hate and fear the other and both sides profit handsomely from it.

:goodjob: Tell you what, we'll buy each other a beer this fall. You deserve one that has an "out of this world taste".....

http://www.sierrablancabrewery.com/beers.html

I love this line of BS reasoning: "He has nutty beliefs, but he would never try to impose them on us as the leader of the free world! He couldn't possibly!"

lol

Number 1, his beliefs are Catholic, not nutty. But I guess anyone who doesn't believe like you is a nut? Isn't there a word for that? Doesn't it start with a P and end with a rejudice?

But, I wouldn't expect anything but the democrat party line from you.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

No doubt.. Problem is few will admit it when their political team is doing the fear mongering.

Pres. Obama banning guns is about as likely as a Pres. Santorum banning birth control, but you'll never get a died in the wool democrat to admit that.

Number 1, his beliefs are Catholic, not nutty.

His beliefs on birth control are more extreme than most Catholics, who have used birth control themselves.

The premise that Santorum's personal religious beliefs won't determine how he acts as president is absurd. This is a person who thinks that the government can regulate private sex acts between consenting adults in their homes.

He also has said that if his daughter was raped and became pregnant, she should view it as a "gift" that "God is giving you."

If he wins, he will choose Supreme Court justices who reflect his views on the role of the state in our sex lives.

---I disgree with the Reagean comment a lot.... He was Christian, but did not make a big deal of it.... It started bothering me when Falwell, Pat Robinson, and others on TV started mixing religion and politics. The worse I have heard came from Michael Reagan [ adopted son of former -president and not close to his other children] a few years ago on his radio program which ..was happened to be on when I got into car.. He commented something to the effect that ..."All real Christians vote Republican and if you weren't then you should really question the fact that you were truly a Christian".

--- I did vote for Reagan and even George Bush SR.... but not since then because of the attitudes that have evolved since the mid 90's....... also their running up the US debt ...plus screwing up the Texas budget and the lack of real support for education [ instead of just saying conservative and claiming to be pro-education ]. Their actions say otherwise.

If debt is that important to you, you will not vote for Pres. Obama again. Somehow, I doubt that will happen.

Rick Perry screwed up the Texas Budget. Rick Perry is hardly a conservative, and was a democrat (and really, still is) for most of his political life.

You do realize that Reagan instituted a national day of prayer, stating publically at the time "Prayer is today as powerful a force in our nation as it has ever been. We as a nation should never forget this source of strength." Yes, he made this statement as commander in chief.

This article details how Reagans religious beliefs weighed in on just about every major decision he made as commander in chief.

I think you remember Reagan the way you want to remember him because that gives you yet another reason to hate republicans. Fact is, Reagan was very close to the religious right and embraced them instead of running from them, which is a mistake the republican moderates all make. Reagan was lock step with the moral majority, which worked to elect him in 1980. Reagan never distanced himself from these groups.

I know some would rather have a valueless leader in office who had no religious beliefs at all (not talking about Pres. Obama), but I'll take someone with solid Christian values everytime over someone with no moral base (again, hypothetical candidate, not Pres. Obama).

But, that's just me.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

His beliefs on birth control are more extreme than most Catholics, who have used birth control themselves.

The premise that Santorum's personal religious beliefs won't determine how he acts as president is absurd. This is a person who thinks that the government can regulate private sex acts between consenting adults in their homes.

He also has said that if his daughter was raped and became pregnant, she should view it as a "gift" that "God is giving you."

If he wins, he will choose Supreme Court justices who reflect his views on the role of the state in our sex lives.

Pure party line here.

Will he appoint Supreme Court Justices who may overturn Roe v Wade? Absolutely. So did Ronald Reagan. Ginsburg is the only Justice anywhere near retirement. Not a lot of appointments upcoming the next 4 years.

Your "many catholics" statement is really quite funny. Yes, "many catholics" also cheat on their spouse, don't attend church regularly, and drink to excess. Just because "many Catholics" disobey the Church's doctorine, it doesn't make the doctorine "nutty." Santorum speaks from the vantage point of a long married Catholic. Why don't you talk to any one of your long married, church going Catholic friends and get their opinion. It may suprise you. Does that mean they want to force their belief on everyone else? No.

But, here you are, making a big deal of something that will never happen, while this country continues in a prolonged recession and spending it's way into bankruptcy. I think that is a little more important than a statement about something the President has no hope of affecting one way or the other, don't you?

Edited by UNT90

Your "many catholics" statement is really quite funny. Yes, "many catholics" also cheat on their spouse, don't attend church regularly, and drink to excess. Just because "many Catholics" disobey the Church's doctorine, it doesn't make the doctorine "nutty." Santorum speaks from the vantage point of a long married Catholic. Why don't you talk to any one of your long married, church going Catholic friends and get their opinion. It may suprise you. Does that mean they want to force their belief on everyone else? No.

I was raised Catholic and have known plenty of Catholics. Santorum is far to the right of many of them. 54 percent of Catholics voted for Obama and 45 percent for McCain, according to a Pew poll.

Santorum's position on birth control was a gift to Obama. Romney and Santorum's popularity with female voters tanked after this became an issue.

As for my married Catholic friends, they used birth control. Aside from my in-laws, who had nine children. Comparing a Catholic who uses a condom to one who cheats on his spouse is funny.

I was raised Catholic and have known plenty of Catholics. Santorum is far to the right of many of them. 54 percent of Catholics voted for Obama and 45 percent for McCain, according to a Pew poll.

Santorum's position on birth control was a gift to Obama. Romney and Santorum's popularity with female voters tanked after this became an issue.

As for my married Catholic friends, they used birth control. Aside from my in-laws, who had nine children. Comparing a Catholic who uses a condom to one who cheats on his spouse is funny.

So you put Santorum's personal beliefs on contraception over the economy as an issue?

I, too, was raised Catholic and have no problem with people using contracetives (as they will continue to do no matter who is elected), but I also respect the church's opinion.

Just because they don't agree with you doesn't mean they are wrong, you know. The view is that you are controlling God's will. That if it is God's will for you to have a child in marriage, you have a child in marriage. Obviously, it is the church's view (just about every church's view, by the by) that you don't have sex out of wedlock. Religions have a funny way of believing that your life is in God's hands. Agree. Don't agree, I don't care.

But you really shouldn't call it wacky.

Why the hyperfocus on this issue when there are so many other, much bigger problems out there? Have you asked yourself that question?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. -- Constitution of the United States Bill of Rights

Santorum: Separation Of Church And State 'Makes Me Want To Throw Up'

I'll leave it up to you to defend this UNT90 or another of the mindless sheep!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Santorum: Separation Of Church And State 'Makes Me Want To Throw Up'

I'll leave it up to you to defend this UNT90 or another of the mindless sheep!

Funny.A left voter weighs in with name calling. Not suprised.

The particular name is very funny, because your source is straight from the Arianna Huffington board. I'm sure they would never mischaracterize anything a conservative said, right? Who is really the Baaaaaaa er here.

Santorum's comments were made in reference to a Kennedy speech. You know, the same Kennedy who not only screwed an intern, but had her screw a member of his cabinet while he watched. In the White House. Maybe JFK should have paid a little more attention to his Catholic values. But, I'm sure that doesn't bother your non-sheepness at all.

Find a source worth responding to. You don't see me posting links to far right websites, do you?

So you put Santorum's personal beliefs on contraception over the economy as an issue? ...

Why the hyperfocus on this issue when there are so many other, much bigger problems out there? Have you asked yourself that question?

A person can care about more than one political issue at the same time. I care about Santorum's views on things like birth control and rape because they show, in my thinking, that he's woefully unsuited for the presidency.

I saw Santorum on Meet the Press adopting the same tactic you're using and trying to steer discussion away from his social conservatism.

As David Gregory responded, you can't make speeches about this stuff for year after year and not expect to be questioned about it.

Santorum's comments were made in reference to a Kennedy speech. You know, the same Kennedy who not only screwed an intern, but had her screw a member of his cabinet while he watched. In the White House. Maybe JFK should have paid a little more attention to his Catholic values. But, I'm sure that doesn't bother your non-sheepness at all.

Santorum's comment about almost throwing up were about Kennedy's 1960 speech regarding the separation of church and state. It's one of the most famous political speeches in U.S. history. Kennedy, like Santorum a Catholic, had to reassure Americans that he would not let his religious beliefs or the Vatican dictate policy. For Santorum to suggest that he "almost threw up" over the speech is remarkable. If Santorum doesn't understand why Kennedy made that speech, he's a lousy student of history.

Bringing up JFK's personal life has nothing to do with Santorum's throw-up comment.