Chase Walling verbals to SMU

gangrene

Not saying we couldn't have used this young man, but it sure appears he was replaced fairly quickly and easily. I like dmac and company's recruiting so far. I hope next year is another step forward, and then maybe we won't have last minute defectors next recruiting season. Or maybe fewer... Who knows.

• Upvote 1

NO hard luck on this kid. He made his choice. Fortunately, our coaches were in the ground the whole time getting other verbals to replace them.

Let's not forget, we had a really young line last year that this staff staff had playing really well. OL isn't the deepest of our concerns this time around.

Bingo! Cyril Lemon, Mason Y'barbo and another whose name I forget will be in only their 2nd year this season...with twelve games experience under their belts. Add in the Feldt brothers and we should have the luxury of bringing along slow any OL commits.

• Upvote 2

Chase who? Really, it is what it is..he made his choice. I hope it works out for him. He will not be part of the Mean Green Nation, so, for me...who cares any longer? Time to move along....I think UNT will be more than fine with the kids who sign with UNT because they want to play for UNT and not because it was their fallback position.

Good luck Chase.....see ya. Who cares?

• Upvote 3

Sorry it didn't work out. I wish Chase and his family the best.

i don't wish him and his family the best...he strung along our school. i know that is part of recruiting...but tough...it doesn't mean i have to be nice and want the boy to succeed elsewhere.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Honestly, with Y'Barbo, Lemon. Johnson and C. Feldt being young and Fortenberry returning as a starter and upperclassmean as well as Feeley and a band of redshirts from last year, we will have plenty of time to bring these young men along and let them develop. Or, we could have another Lemon in this class. A young man that committed late and turns into a diamond for us. I like this class and oir depth.

Makes me wonder, with Micah Thompson being moved to OL from DT last year, will any of these young men move to DL? Love our class and hope Rice and Walling find what they are looking for at SMU, but I don't wish SMU success and I don't like the fact that they strung us along only to bail at the 11th hour.

I find it funny that $MU had to fill their class by stealing from a school they've look down their noses at forever. I can't wait for our series to resume.

• Upvote 3

The best thing about Trussell is he WANTS to be here. It became very apparent once June in-homed Chase that his feelings about UNT wavered. No crime in that it happens (a lot) to SMU too. I hate losing commits late but I feel good about the fact we are going after guys that other teams want. We will win more of these battles once we start winning more ball games which I believe we will.

But don't underestimate how important it is to get guys that are excited to be a part of the program.

A little insight on the thought process involving Chase's decision...

Lake Highlands offensive lineman Chase Walling switches commitment from North Texas to SMU

"To me, it was just getting a better feel of the coaching staff," Walling said about the change.

Decommitting was "definitely the hardest thing I've had to do in my life," Walling said, adding that he got a little choked up when he called his primary recruiter, defensive line coach Mike Nelson, with the news. North Texas had been recruiting Walling since midway through his junior season, but the offer from SMU was too good to pass up. Walling is interested in getting a business degree.

It doesn't appear he took the decision lightly although he seems to contradict himself in this article. Did he switch because he had a "better feel of the coaching staff" or because of his interest in SMU's Cox (school of business)?

While it's frustrating to lose a commit we've been working on for 1 1/2 years, it's somewhat comforting to know it was a difficult decision to make.

A little insight on the thought process involving Chase's decision...

Lake Highlands offensive lineman Chase Walling switches commitment from North Texas to SMU

It doesn't appear he took the decision lightly although he seems to contradict himself in this article. Did he switch because he had a "better feel of the coaching staff" or because of his interest in SMU's Cox (school of business)?

While it's frustrating to lose a commit we've been working on for 1 1/2 years, it's somewhat comforting to know it was a difficult decision to make.

He may be back in a year or 2. You know, when Jones finally finds a John to take him up on his whoring ways and the new coach at SMU decides Walling doesn't "fit his system."

But seriously, if he made this decision for any other reason than academics (he likes the coaching staff), he is probably not smart enough for Cox School of Business. This staff is gone as soon as it can get a real BCS gig. That has been made crystal clear.

• Upvote 2