Je'rod Evans visiting Memphis

Harry

Our QB prospect is on an official visit to Memphis this weekend. Darrell Dickey was just hired there as OC. Also we have an Arlington Martin defensive lineman visiting with commit Conner Trussell:

Arlington Martin coach Bob Wager said defensive tackle Mustafa Haboul and offensive lineman Connor Trussell will visit North Texas this weekend.

The 6-foot-1, 230 Haboul was a force for the Warriors during their playoff run this season and racked up 49 tackles, seven sacks and a fumble return for TD this past season.

Trussell (6-4, 270) helped pave the way for a Warrior run game that amassed nearly 3,500 rushing yards.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/colleges/2012/01/patterson-to-have-in-home-w-tcu-commit-daje-johnson-tuesday-recruiting-notes.html

I think more important is that Fuentes is their new HC and real OC arriving from TCU recentlu. He is a great recruiter and that concerns me, although Mac has tended to have a backup visit us, Rentfro and Trussell, if he thinks we may lose a recruit. I haven't heard if we had another signal caller in this weekend. I would really like to see us get Evans. I think he could really develop into something special.

• Upvote 1

This kid is #1 on my wish list right now. It is pretty clear Osborn won't see the field (so we don't know what we have in him) and McNulty showed me absolutely nothing to believe he's the QB of the future. Our team was night and day different when the starter went down last year...can't afford that if we want to continue ascending as a program.

• Upvote 1

Just a refresher on Cooper Jones

6'4'' 205

Was named District 6-2A MVP his senior season … Threw for 2,418 yards and 29 touchdowns and added six scores on the ground … Was nominated for the Army All-American Bowl and received honorable hention all-state honors … Was named first-team all-district as a defensive back and wide receiver in his sophomore season.

Cooper would be on the lightest of our TE if he did get moved there. Otto is at 5'11'' but 215.

After this season of the QB, we all know we never had one outside of Thompson.

I would guess we will find out in the spring game who will still be at QB.

Let's just hope we have more to work with this season if DT goes down.

May be wrong about this, but there seems to be more vascillating of committments from this years class and it seems to have hurt us as much as anyone. It seems for a few years kids who committed to you stuck with you.

If you've been to the AF Academy's Colorado Springs campus, it is a great environment to be around but a very difficult place for most any non-military school to compete against.

Nevertheless, we can all salute Jerod Evans for his committment to the USA and the AFA albeit I really thought we had a chance with this talent from comments he had made about North Texas.

GMG!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Recent recruiting strategy (pre-DMac) has been "stealth."

When someone commits on Jan 27, it doesn't take much to hold them to it until Feb 1.

Further, one could argue that if you go after kids that have talent that others might crave, most will take their talents elsewhere, some will say yes, and some of those will change their mind.

As much as it hurts "feelings" to see a de-commit, it is selective reading to not see that it happens to almost everyone.

TCU lost at least 2 this weekend. Texas has been "full" since August, suddenly found some space and picked up a late commit. "When Texas comes calling,..." SMU lost a bunch after the UCLA defection so they turned close to home (read that NT) to fill the slots.

(and not that it matters, I saw both Walling and Trussel play this year. One game each, but I prefer Trussel...shhhh, don't tell Jones)

GMG