Mountain West

El Paso Eagle

Maybe there was a slight glimmer of hope (from the MWC)if things went wrong for the Big East that TCU might stay - off the table now. Does the MWC want to keep a Texas presence? Listening to an interview with UTEP’s AD it seems like he believes there will be a merger/agreement/something between C-USA and the MWC

Maybe there was a slight glimmer of hope (from the MWC)if things went wrong for the Big East that TCU might stay - off the table now. Does the MWC want to keep a Texas presence? Listening to an interview with UTEP’s AD it seems like he believes there will be a merger/agreement/something between C-USA and the MWC

Thats fine but with SMU n the Big East neither conf has a DFW footprint. UNT baby !!! GMG !!

Remember, the MWC now includes Texas State, UTSan Antonio, Dallas Baptist, and UT Arlington, quite a Texas footprint.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

Remember, the MWC now includes Texas State, UTSan Antonio, Dallas Baptist, and UT Arlington, quite a Texas footprint.

i think you meant WAC, not MWC. i read some where that if cusa and mt. west were to form an alliance, that MWC would expand from 10 to 12 teams and create 2 divisions. they then would have championship game and the winner would play winner of cusa championship, with a BCS bowl invitation being the ultimate goal for winner of that game.

If there's a merger that's CUSA's door slamming in our face, hate to admit it.

I haven't heard any talk of an actual merger, just of working an agreement to have a end of season game between the champion of each conference. The winner of this game, they hope, would receive an AQ bid to a BCS bowl.

It would only be for football and only to have the two league champions play each other. Look at any article written on the subject it will tell you that.

Yes, I'm aware. That is still not a merger, and any article claiming to know what is going to happen is as reliable as the frequent message board speculation.

I've seen Craig Thompson quoted that he would like the easternmost boundary of the MWC to be Texas. I believe that the DFW market would give him a better bargaining chip for his TV contract.

The Mountain West will be the stronger conference. A little more prestige but much harder to win.

A Texas footprint is really really big. Again Why wouldn't the MWC get a full footprint and try to get UH, UNT and perhaps UTEP in the conference? You're covering DFW and Houston and you instantly have that Western Texas footprint in UTEP as well a geographic sense.

Again call me crazy but if I am the MWC I would be proactive in bettering the MWC because they are the best conference outside of the BCS ones.

MWC should add UTEP, UNT, & UTSA. UTEP makes geographical sense. UNT & UTSA would provide media major markets & instant rivalries in Texas. I think all 3 would jump in immediately. 12 schools & done.

The MWC will have more stability then CUSA mainly because of it being western based and the PAC12 is done expanding. BYU is on the Big12 radar but Louisville is said to be their next invitee if needed.

A Texas footprint is really really big. Again Why wouldn't the MWC get a full footprint and try to get UH, UNT and perhaps UTEP in the conference? You're covering DFW and Houston and you instantly have that Western Texas footprint in UTEP as well a geographic sense.

Again call me crazy but if I am the MWC I would be proactive in bettering the MWC because they are the best conference outside of the BCS ones.

utep has no interest in mt.west from what their a.d. has said in elpaso interviews. they feel being in cusa gives them access to recruits in dfw and houston markets, plus alumni support for those living there. if you look at cusa, their conference ends in el paso, and mt. west begins in new mexico. together they cover u.s. coast to coast.makes since to form an "alliance" in football.if so, i can't see mt. west poaching an existing cusa member.

utep has no interest in mt.west from what their a.d. has said in elpaso interviews. they feel being in cusa gives them access to recruits in dfw and houston markets, plus alumni support for those living there. if you look at cusa, their conference ends in el paso, and mt. west begins in new mexico. together they cover u.s. coast to coast.makes since to form an "alliance" in football.if so, i can't see mt. west poaching an existing cusa member.

When the MWC was formed from the 16-team WAC UTEP was not invited. There are still a lot of memories on both sides that would prevent a reunion.

When the MWC was formed from the 16-team WAC UTEP was not invited. There are still a lot of memories on both sides that would prevent a reunion.

I thought the MWC was formed because those schools were sick of Benson.

UTEP was left out of the fold because of an apparent lack of commitment to athletics, specifically football.

I can't guess what will happen, but I do think UTEP would be viewed by them in a different light now. Quite frankly, I think many of those schools would welcome a chance to have yearly bball battles (again) with the Miners, who - ironically - recently hired Tim Floyd...same guy who recruited all those players that gave them fits in the 80s with their level of play and hostile home crowds.

Can you elaborate on said memories that would work against a reunion?

http://ncaabbs.com/s....php?tid=519994

Prefer that the above link content (or something a bit more tamed down) would have come from our campus rather than my keyboard.

If we can just get the MWC commissioner on our campus all that he would see would sell itself, IMHO.

i may be wrong, have been before, but i see same problems in mt. west that we would have in wac or had in big west, plus new mexico is only football team we could beat at this point in time. we don't travel to la. or ark., and its a 12 hour deive to albuq.plus, when is last time you saw a football game on the mt.west network?