New UNT Stadium Naming rights - Apogee

dml7007

For the life of me, I do not understand what all the negativity is for.

Money is money. Most people are just going to call it Mean Green Stadium anyway...plus, we don't even know what it is going to be called...it could be Apogee Mean Green Stadium or something like that. We got the full asking price during a recession, and we are getting more money for it than Texas Tech...not really a lot to complain about.

• Upvote 3

The sad thing is that in 20 years $1 Million will only buy you a Big Mac.

On the one hand, I'm happy he'll still be here in 20 years, but I also hope we give him more of a raise than that for his loyalty.

• Upvote 3

For anyone who doesn't like it, I would put money on Apogee either not surviving for 20 years or being acquired by a larger corporation. Obviously the latter would be best because they would likely keep the millions rolling in, but one of the two is likely (Ameriquest anyone?).

I mean, if the flock of venture capitalists posting on this message board haven't heard of the company, it's probably just time for all you readers from Apogee to cut your series B funding and cash out while you can. Apogee is a terrible name for a mortgage company anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sounds like Hopeful isn't very hopefulat all...amiright guys?

Did you read the whole post? I ended by saying "Oh well, f everyone else. Go Mean Green!" I could care less really. The point of my post was about perception. Like I said money is money Ill take it. It could be worse, it could be summer's eve stadium.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

am I the only one that isn't in love with this move? It's just not recognizable. I guess money got tight.

UCF's stadium naming rights is owned by Bright House Networks. If you live outside of Orlando/Tampa area, you would not know who Bright House is.

Their naming rights deal was 15 years for $15 million.

• Upvote 1

Really??? Negative responses on this? You have got to be kidding. Who cares who bought the naming rights? It is a $20 million investment in our program, and some of you are complaining.

SNL_whatupwitdat.jpg

Did you read the definition of Apogee? It seems very appropriate to me.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

am I the only one that isn't in love with this move? It's just not recognizable.

Unless this is a bit--who gives a shi!t how recognizable it is?? It's $20 million bucks. It's one of the largest sponsorships in any school in this state. No downside to this, and huge coup for the school. HUGE. Freaking home run.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Hahaha I've been a regular viewer... just now starting to join the conversation!

Hey...that's great...it's always so awesome to get more loyal North Texas supporters posting on here.

I will say, though, this place can be a bit of a land-mine field to navigate sometimes...gosh, I remember when I first started posting I was a bit overwhelmed...I mean, now that I've been posting for a while I'm more comfortable and experienced...maybe if you want to grab a coffee or a drink at some point we could talk about it...you know, make your transition to avid poster a bit smoother?

• Upvote 4

Don't get all the negativity. This is just $20 million dollars that we otherwise would have never gotten. What is wrong with people? This is great news even with the ups and down of the economy someobody stepped up. Kudos to Apogee and to the team of people from our department that found these guys. I can understand people bitching about uniforms and stuff but someone giving us free money just to put their name on our stadium? Sep 10 cannot get here soon enough.

• Upvote 1

Did you read the definition of Apogee? It seems very appropriate to me.

the point in the orbit of an object (as a satellite) orbiting the earth that is at the greatest distance from the center of the earth; also : the point farthest from a planet or a satellite (as the moon) reached by an object orbiting it

:unsure:

Wait -- people are really debating the benefits or partnering with a company specializing in campus networks with a focus exclusively on universities? I know in some sense $20M is $20M from anyone, but as far as finding a partner willing to work with us and do whatever it takes to maximize this sponsorship's value, I don't think there were many better fits out there.

Home run IMO

Are you serious? I cam never tell.

Edited by filmerj

Excellent news. What the Cowboys can't do in Arlington we can do up in Denton at the "Apogee" of the Metroplex. Hell, last I heard the Rangers are getting 2.5 million a year from Ameriquest and we're getting a million from Apogee. Not bad if you ask me. My crystal balls are sensing a baseball stadium in our very near future.

20 years at $1 million a year.... bargain for Apogee

Wholeheartedly agree...I thought our naming rights figures were much higher, but $20 million better than a kick in the arse. Are those monies designated or can be used anywhere in the athletic budget? Someone close to the scene who might know?

Do we get to keep MG Stadium or MG/Apogee Stadium or has that been determined?

Questions, questions, questions...

BEAT THE UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON COUGARS!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

This is a pretty big deal. How many schools in non-BCS conferences have a football naming rights deal north of $1M per?

Think of it this way.. The AD budget just increased the rough equivalent that UNT gets paid for the bodybag away games we played for years..

Does this lead to us playing less bodybag games? Can we exchange those games or even reduce the payout to instead get a 2 for 1 now and then at a lesser cost instead of just having to take the money?

If we start thinking outside the SBC box, then body bag games become opportunities to beat a team that can get Coach Mac's future teams inside the Top 25. Can't help but think that Boise State at some point in time had to lose the phrase "body bag" games, but (granted) we know the last 25 years what those game$ u$ually mean't.

New stadium ='s New mind set?

I am going to help them start getting what they paid for...

Apogee, hey I love Apogee.when I want to expand my network I choose Apogee! (wink) Apogee rocks my world! Apogee... Trust in us! Apogee or bust. Apogee. Apogee. Apogee. Apogee. Apogee. Apogee. Apogee.

• Upvote 1