Big 12-2/Minus 2 Conference done...how do we benefit

Where is this coming from? Nothing on ESPN.com...

Yes...because ESPN, in bed with Longhorn Network, would be rushing out information to cut its own throat, right?

ESPN will be as much in denial as everyone who thinks the Big 12-2/Minus 2 is somehow staying together past the 2011 season.

I think we have an outside chance of going to the MWC. Yes, it's a longshot - but, not as much of a longshot as when we were at Fouts with Dickey and Dodge at the helm.

MWC 2012 will be minus TCU, will pick up Fresno State, Nevada, and Hawaii. Not exactly huge TV markets. We'd have to press our DFW angle. A longshot, yes. But, hey...three years ago we were dreaming about a new stadium and real coaching staff. People really do win on MTV...sometimes.

• Upvote 1

Yes...because ESPN, in bed with Longhorn Network, would be rushing out information to cut its own throat, right?

ESPN will be as much in denial as everyone who thinks the Big 12-2/Minus 2 is somehow staying together past the 2011 season.

I think we have an outside chance of going to the MWC. Yes, it's a longshot - but, not as much of a longshot as when we were at Fouts with Dickey and Dodge at the helm.

MWC 2012 will be minus TCU, will pick up Fresno State, Nevada, and Hawaii. Not exactly huge TV markets. We'd have to press our DFW angle. A longshot, yes. But, hey...three years ago we were dreaming about a new stadium and real coaching staff. People really do win on MTV...sometimes.

If we couldn've won more than a handful of games in the last five- or six years, maybe...I don't think we're in any position to go anywhere other than the New Orleans Bowl in few years, once Coach get's an opportunity to recruit and develop a few classes...too much missing, like a baseball team, for example...

"ESPN has the SEC by the hairs in this. ESPN stopped this thing last year. They will stop it again this year, if necessary. All it takes is a call to the SEC commissioner to tell them that there will be no new contract until 2025 (or whenever the current TV contract expires).

SEC would then have to split the same pie either 13 or 14 ways. EVERYBODY in SEC goes down 2-4 million.

This will NOT happen this year unless other things occur that ESPN DOES want to happen."

• Upvote 1

If we couldn've won more than a handful of games in the last five- or six years, maybe...I don't think we're in any position to go anywhere other than the New Orleans Bowl in few years, once Coach get's an opportunity to recruit and develop a few classes...too much missing, like a baseball team, for example...

Don't forget the big donation being announced on the 15 th. That may bring us baseball sooner rather than later.

Baseball doesn't make money. Besides, is there a baseball power in the MWC now that TCU is gone?

To me, the Super Conferences will pick apart the Big 12-2/Minus 2 based on (1) football, and (2) basketball.

I think Kansas goes to the Big East on the power of its hoops program. K-State, like Oklahoma State to OU, goes where KU based on in-state politics.

I realize whatever the Super Conferences do, we're likely not to move soon, but it's fun to dream. It's also fun to watch a BCS AQ cannibalize itself.

When you get down the bare bones of it, those whole will have been caused by the fact that Texas couldn't get along with anyone - from the old SWC or the Big 12 or the Minus 2. They never could just leave well enough along.

The only questions, really, was who would jump first. Nebraska did, and ended up in a conference suited to it. Colorado went to a conference with schools in a state where it has traditionally recruited well (Cali). SEC is a good regional fit for A&M. OU is a good lead for a Pac-14 or 16 East.

The scramblers will be Iowa State, Baylor, and Mizzou.

• Upvote 1

"ESPN has the SEC by the hairs in this. ESPN stopped this thing last year. They will stop it again this year, if necessary. All it takes is a call to the SEC commissioner to tell them that there will be no new contract until 2025 (or whenever the current TV contract expires).

SEC would then have to split the same pie either 13 or 14 ways. EVERYBODY in SEC goes down 2-4 million.

This will NOT happen this year unless other things occur that ESPN DOES want to happen."

I doubt ESPN tries to stop the SEC/A&M for the sake of Texas. The SEC as a television product is a proven product. Longhorn Network is currently nothing more than a bag of magic beans.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If A&M is accepted by the SEC it almost becomes impossible to speculate because many conferences could be involved.

For instance, who else comes to the SEC? It could be Missouri, reducing the Big XII one further, or it could be Clemson or Florida State, taking one from the ACC.

Does the now Big VII or IX try to add two or four more teams (or even six) to become the major Midlands conference? Do some go to the MWC or the Pac-12? The Big East is now virtually forced to expand at least to 12. Do the come from CUSA or from the former Big XII? Or both? The only conference with possibly a pat hand could be the Big X+2; but that may not be a slam-dunk.

North Texas could end up in any of four conferences. It depends on our success on the field and attendance this year. At the very least we will need to make significant progress.

We had the perfect formula for this explosion to happen...Greed (Big X/Longhorn Network) and Pride (Aggies rebuffed/SEC threatened).

• Upvote 2

If A&M is accepted by the SEC it almost becomes impossible to speculate because many conferences could be involved.

For instance, who else comes to the SEC? It could be Missouri, reducing the Big XII one further, or it could be Clemson or Florida State, taking one from the ACC.

Does the now Big VII or IX try to add two or four more teams (or even six) to become the major Midlands conference? Do some go to the MWC or the Pac-12? The Big East is now virtually forced to expand at least to 12. Do the come from CUSA or from the former Big XII? Or both? The only conference with possibly a pat hand could be the Big X+2; but that may not be a slam-dunk.

North Texas could end up in any of four conferences. It depends on our success on the field and attendance this year. At the very least we will need to make significant progress.

We had the perfect formula for this explosion to happen...Greed (Big X/Longhorn Network) and Pride (Aggies rebuffed/SEC threatened).

Based on the way thing almost went down last year, it'd likely be:

SEC: Adds Ags to the West; either Florida State or Clemson from the ACC to the East

PAC-12: Adds OU, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Baylor

BIG East: Adds Kansas and probably Kansas State

Big Ten: Maybe adds Mizzou - who already plays Illinois annually, has history with Nebraska

Iowa State...is left sucking hind tit unless Iowa goes way out of its way to push for them in the Big Ten. Otherwise, Cyclones, say hello to C-USA or MAC.

Texas = independent, plays a schedule similar to Notre Dame, only worse since Super Conferences eat up an OOC game for each school involved. Look for a lot of Texas versus Sun Belt, WAC, MWC.

I guess the things I don't understand about all of it (yes - I know money) is this:

(1) how did ESPN/Texas think being the only school in a conference with an independent TV deal would be a good idea

(2) how did ESPN/Texas think the other schools in the conference would just turn over their TV rights to them

(3) how did the Big 12 Commissioner think this type of contract wouldn't end up causing hell with the member schools?

I mean, there can be one of three answers (which I will now provide free of charge):

(1) ESPN/Texas/Big 12 Commissioner really are clueless dumbasses,

(2) ESPN/Texas are clueless and the Big 12 Commissioner is a dumbass, or

(3) ESPN wanted Super Conferences all along and used Texas arrogance and Big 12 Commissioner dumbassness like tools to force them into existence.

Yes, I realize answer #3 involves sinister thinking on the part of ESPN...but, we are talking ESPN here.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Also, ESPN deal with SEC was for $2 billion over 15 years; their deal with Texas is $300 million over 20. The SEC deal, any way you slice it, is still more lucrative and holds wider appeal.

Texas is getting two paychecks. One of the network (which only broadcasts one basketball, volleyball, women's soccer and such) and one from football broadcast rights which is probably worth more.

Ags might well leave for the SEC--should they get an actual invitation and the legislature goes along with it. Still a long way from that.

When did Tech get an invite to the PACWhatever? Stanford already had a problem with them tagging along last year due to their academics. What has changed?

OU academics are just as good/bad as Texas Tech. At least from an admissions perspective.

• Upvote 1

You might be better off reading the rebuttal by one of the better sports business blogs out there... It was not pretty.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/08/08/texas-contract-with-espn-for-the-longhorn-network/

Thanks but. I read the contract because it was linked off of that site, just as I would have read it had it been linked on an OU site, a Houston, SMU or GMG.com site etc. Apparantly that "better sports buisiness blog" wasn't all that well versed in the buisiness of college football if they had to find out what was in the FOIA from an aggie fan blog, first? LOL!!!

But it doesn't matter who's site got ahold of it nor does it change the fact that tU will be the downfall of the Big minus 2.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Thanks but. I read the contract because it was linked off of that site, just as I would have read it had it been linked on an OU site, a Houston, SMU or GMG.com site etc. Apparently that "better sports business blog" wasn't all that well versed in the business of college football if they had to find out what was in the FOIA from an Aggie fan blog, first? LOL!!!

But it doesn't matter who's site got ahold of it nor does it change the fact that tU will be the downfall of the Big minus 2.

Rick

Agree.... the creation of the Longhorn network is irritating many of them.... they are sorta of like us now (just richer)... can't match Texas in "funds" for their athletic programs. I think it and UT finances is partly why Nebraska left... the Big-10 financing is set up differently.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Agree.... the creation of the Longhorn network is irritating many of them.... they are sorta of like us now (just richer)... can't match Texas in "funds" for their athletic programs. I think it and UT finances is partly why Nebraska left... the Big-10 financing is set up differently.

Funny thing is Nebraska was the biggest proponent for unequal revenue sharing in the Big 12 and were ahead of Texas in plans for their own network before they left.