New uniforms

greenbird

Are you kidding me? I've heard that "musical prompt" for years but thought it was something generic the band was doing until a REAL musical prompt was created. Yeah, it's really something. That must be why there had to be an audio overlay done so that you could actually hear the prompt on the web-site. That thing has always sounded like a musical segue that some magic act would use while the magician is changing from one part of his act to another....not a spirit prompt.

Where is the "POW" or "BAM" to begin these "prompts". Where is the grand entrance by our band? Most other college bands enter the field/stadium with high energy. By comparison our band (at least since Winslow took over and up to now)....... saunters.

Okay. I'll bite. Am I kidding you? No. My opinion is that the problem with our fanfare is that it's missing the fan part of it. Your original question was "What prompts?" I thought I'd help out and provide a link to a video that was intended to teach people the traditions at North Texas. Once you were aware of what the "prompts" were, you chose to complain about them. I still contend the problem is the fan response.

Let's look at the examples you provided. The IOWA cheer is not significantly different from our NORTH...TEXAS...NORTH...TEXAS cheer, except for the fact that the IOWA fans are more into it than our fans. Blame it on the cheer leaders if you want, but that cheer seems primarily reliant on the crowd.

Then there's the Alabama clip. UNT does the same freakin' song! It's that same Dr. Who and the Tardis song that just about all schools do. We just have different words that go with it. Don't try to blame our response on the Green Brigade because you can barely even hear the Bama band because of the FANS.

Then there is the Wisconsin thing. I'm not sure how that really fits in as a prompt or for getting the crowd involved. Most of the fans seem to be standing around with their hands in their pockets, though you can hear some clapping along. Then they lead into their fight song. As you know, North Texas does the march around the outside of the field and plays the fight song and the "Go Green, Go White" prompt (Fly Like an Eagle). People clap along with ours too and some sing. From a crowd response, not a lot different from Wisconsin.

Maybe we need a "prompt" thread instead of hijacking the uniform thread?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Join in with me, won't you? (Cheerleaders are invited to participate also)

All together quickly and in unison......

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

GO!

MEAN!

GREEN!

EAGLES!

FIGHT!

FIGHT!

FIGHT!

There, that's better.

Rick

That's not all that different than the chant from the fight song:

U!

N!

T!

EAGLES!

FIGHT!

FIGHT!

FIGHT!

Put the Ahhhh in front of that and I think you have a winner. It might be easier for people to hop onto as well since they already know the words and we all ready have arm jestures to go along with it. I've often thought that would look cool on TV (with the arm jestures) at away games when the band didn't make the trip. If everyone was in unison, it would remind me somewhat of the stuff the KSU fans were doing last year. (We'd need more fans at away games, though.)

I like where you are going, Rick. I know you've been selling that chant for at least a couple years now. I like it...I just like using the chant from the fight song better.

My two cents.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

That's not all that different than the chant from the fight song:

U!

N!

T!

EAGLES!

FIGHT!

FIGHT!

FIGHT!

Put the Ahhhh in front of that and I think you have a winner. It might be easier for people to hop onto as well since they already know the words and we all ready have arm jestures to go along with it. I've often thought that would look cool on TV (with the arm jestures) at away games when the band didn't make the trip. If everyone was in unison, it would remind me somewhat of the stuff the KSU fans were doing last year. (We'd need more fans at away games, though.)

I like where you are going, Rick. I know you've been selling that chant for at least a couple years now. I like it...I just like using the chant from the fight song better.

My two cents.

I hear ya. And thats fine, as long as its quick, easy and has an ending

Once again we could learn a thing or two from the Jet's Fireman Ed, who proves every year what several thousand people can do with a simple, unified chant that is signaled and an ENDING.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=dwKtJZJgh2c'>http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=dwKtJZJgh2c

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=dwKtJZJgh2c'>http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=dwKtJZJgh2c

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

You can always tell it is the middle of the summer when posters on here are pissed about a uniform they've never laid eyes on.

Not me. Uniforms are the least of the game day problems for North Texas... <_<

Although I do think it's time we put a logo/initial on the helmet. Spelling out a school's name on a helmet looks, to the casual observer, like we can't remember our own name.

But again, unis are the least of our challenges on any given game day.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

As for the logo is concerned, yes we have implemented in may spaces throughout the stadium and on the field. I love the logo we helped design in 2005. So I have expanded its' use in many places hwere else it shows up will have to be seen.

AH HA!! SOW on the helmets! Wait for it... :bow:

• Upvote 1

The "NORTH" TEXAS" chant needs to be done better in football.

It works at basketball games during the timeout because you have a definitive ending... when the players walk back on the court. At football games, it starts at random and just keeps going until it fades and dies and sounds really pathetic.

I make a motion that we only do the NORTH TEXAS chant after the fight song is finished after a PAT and keep it going until the ensuing kickoff.

• Upvote 3

And yes my personal preference is not to brand the athletic program as UNT because that is how it would show up on the bottom of ESPN, CBS, etc. So North Texas became the mark. Our consistent use has made it a recognizable and consistent mark.

This doesn't seem to be a problem for OU, LSU, UCLA, etc. ... or, even the likes of UAB, UNLV, and UCF. As noted before over half of the FBS colleges use letters instead of the school name. People who are watching sports programs for college football scores know what UNT means. They knew what NTSU meant as well...in fact, to this day, sports programs and publications still screw up from time to time and say NTSU. Sports people remember and know sports acronyms.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The "NORTH" TEXAS" chant needs to be done better in football.

It works at basketball games during the timeout because you have a definitive ending... when the players walk back on the court. At football games, it starts at random and just keeps going until it fades and dies and sounds really pathetic.

I make a motion that we only do the NORTH TEXAS chant after the fight song is finished after a PAT and keep it going until the ensuing kickoff.

And on that kickoff, start a long" Nooooorth" as the kicker lines up and " Texas" when his foot gets to the ball.

• Upvote 3

And on that kickoff, start a long" Nooooorth" as the kicker lines up and " Texas" when his foot gets to the ball.

Great idea - but the question is how do we get the info out, and who will provide the initial leadership on the field and/or in the stands to get it going (it will create its own life after awhile, hopefully, and that initial leadership will no longer be needed)?

• Upvote 1

Great idea - but the question is how do we get the info out, and who will provide the initial leadership on the field and/or in the stands to get it going (it will create its own life after awhile, hopefully, and that initial leadership will no longer be needed)?

Hand out cheer sheets for the next 4 or 5 seasons. Put it on the soda cups. Explain how cheers will start and end. Explain it at freshman orientation.

Keep it simple.

And students need to lead this change. It's too bad the Talons lack significant membership to make this happen.

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 5

Not me. Uniforms are the least of the game day problems for North Texas... <_<

Although I do think it's time we put a logo/initial on the helmet. Spelling out a school's name on a helmet looks, to the casual observer, like we can't remember our own name.

But again, unis are the least of our challenges on any given game day.

Well, as typical of most posts on here, what started as a thread on the new uniforms has taken on a totally different meaning.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Our uniforms will be fine. Will everyone like them? No, it isn't possible, but outside of a couple of years in the 90's, our uniforms have always looked fine. Sure, there are some I liked better than others, but other than DD's black uniforms and the clipart eagle during the 90's and the daffy eagle with FFR's blue and copper, I have never really hated our uniforms.

2. We have a number of traditions, cannon, "Fly Like an Eagle," Model A, bonfire, lighting of the Admin. Bldg, but I agree with RV that a lot of this falls on us and administrations of the past. Nothing has ever been done to foster these traditions and build new ones until recently. Whatever happened to that group that is supposed to build spirit on campus? I think they were called Talons.

The new traditions, are,well new and typically someone complains they were stolen from another school. I love the Mean Green walk, tailgating, etc... and agree that we need a good unified chant to build atmosphere. I think the new stadium will take care of some of that. Fouts was just too spread out.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

Hand out cheer sheets for the next 4 or 5 seasons. Put it on the soda cups. Explain how cheers will start and end. Explain it at freshman orientation.

Keep it simple.

And students need to lead this change. It's too bad the Talons lack significant membership to make this happen.

...actually it's too bad that they lack the emotional wherewithal to consistently follow through on their organization's stated mission.

The cheer staff and/or Talons could produce a training video and send the link, via e-mail, to all season ticket holders, MGC members, University staff, and all students with a University e-mail address.

On game day, the cheer staff/Talons could go around the tailgating area on golf carts, and stop at various sites with high numbers of fans and hold an "impromptu" cheer training session. They could carry boom boxes to play the "musical prompts.. (including the lame one that sounds like the vegas-magic-act-segue-music".

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

2. We have a number of traditions, cannon, "Fly Like an Eagle," Model A, bonfire, lighting of the Admin. Bldg, but I agree with RV that a lot of this falls on us...*snip*

The new traditions, are,well new and typically someone complains they were stolen from another school. I love the Mean Green walk, tailgating, etc...

These are all good traditions. However, none of this is the administrations responsibility. It belongs to the students and alumni. Until that's recognized, UNT will always suffer in this area.

The mindset has to be that traditions are not handed to anyone. They have to be picked up and carried. Every good tradition that I can think of in college football was/is created and maintained by the student body and/or the alumni.

IMO, pointing at the AD about "lack of traditions" is like buying a new car, using up all the gas in the tank, and calling the dealership to ask why it won't run any more.

• Upvote 4

These are all good traditions. However, none of this is the administrations responsibility. It belongs to the students and alumni. Until that's recognized, UNT will always suffer in this area.

The mindset has to be that traditions are not handed to anyone. They have to be picked up and carried. Every good tradition that I can think of in college football was/is created and maintained by the student body and/or the alumni.

IMO, pointing at the AD about "lack of traditions" is like buying a new car, using up all the gas in the tank, and calling the dealership to ask why it won't run any more.

Traditions are what draw people to the program and keep them coming back year after year. Otherwise there is little point in having an AD....and his/her staff. AND any school's traditions are not practiced in a vacuum away from the facilities/venues....that the AD is hired to manage.

But I think that the alumni association is as much (if not more) to blame for a lack of ,or the practicing of, traditions.

But no official from the alumni association will come on the board and give us an opportunity to openly dialogue with them about these issues.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6