New uniforms

greenbird

Have a feeling helmet will be green (the lighter kelly green) without any stripes, with the same North Texas sticker without the black trim, and a white face mask. Jerseys will be plain looking with the numbers being a solid color without the black trim around the numbers. I think they will look very sharp while looking like throw back jerseys at the same time. Green and white will be the only colors in the jerseys I think, even though there is black on the new turf. Just an educated guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Have a feeling helmet will be green (the lighter kelly green) without any stripes, with the same North Texas sticker without the black trim, and a white face mask. Jerseys will be plain looking with the numbers being a solid color without the black trim around the numbers. I think they will look very sharp while looking like throw back jerseys at the same time. Green and white will be the only colors in the jerseys I think, even though there is black on the new turf. Just an educated guess.

The fact that there's black in the turf leads me to believe that black will play a bigger part in our uniforms. I also like the idea of having a traditional looking jersey. As for the helmet, we're going to have North Texas on our helmets until we're a nationally recognized program, and there's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't look nearly as bad as some of you make it out to be. And I don't care what y'all say, the new green looks infinitely better than the old dark green. GMG!

• Upvote 4

You know, I really like the idea of a more classic (retro) uni, but there is one thing that I will have to disagree with that has been mentioned several times.....winning.

Winning is absolutely necessary as part of the equation, but it will take much more for North Texas to rise above it's current status in D-1 football. It's true that all those big time programs don't have to resort to fancy unis, to get the attention of the fans. But winning alone is not the reason they are so attractive. They all have TRADITIONS (and yes, winning is one of them), and THAT is what is attractive to fans...both long standing, and casual. Traditions are what make people feel they are a part of something special and something worth while. Traditions are a unifying exercise/ceremony that reaffirms one's connection to something. Traditions are how the every day student/alumni come to be part of the pageantry of College football.

NORTH TEXAS DOESN'T HAVE ANY MEANINGFUL TRADITIONS NOR DO WE HAVE ANYTHING THAT RESEMBLES THE PAGEANTRY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

Go ask any student on the North Texas campus what the game day, and game time traditions are at North Texas, and see what sort of response you get. For that matter, ask most graduates of North Texas.

A new and beautiful stadium, and winning will get people's attention (although going to four bowl games in a row didn't get that many people's attention), but it's TRADITIONS that make people feel like they are part of the whole experience.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

You know, I really like the idea of a more classic (retro) uni, but there is one thing that I will have to disagree with that has been mentioned several times.....winning.

Winning is absolutely necessary as part of the equation, but it will take much more for North Texas to rise above it's current status in D-1 football. It's true that all those big time programs don't have to resort to fancy unis, to get the attention of the fans, but winning alone is not the reason they are so attractive. They all have TRADITIONS (and yes, winning is one of them), and THAT is what is attractive to fans...both long standing and casual. Traditions are what make people feel they are a part of something special and something worth while. Traditions are a unifying exercise/ceremony that reaffirms one's connection to something. Traditions are how the every day student/alumni come to be part of the pageantry of College football.

NORTH TEXAS DOESN'T HAVE ANY MEANINGFUL TRADITIONS NOR DO WE HAVE ANYTHING THAT RESEMBLES THE PAGEANTRY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

Go ask any student on the North Texas campus what the game day, and game time traditions are at North Texas, and see what sort of response you get. For that matter, ask most graduates of North Texas.

A new and beautiful stadium, and winning will get people's attention (although going to four bowl games in a row didn't get that many people's attention), but it's TRADITIONS that make people feel like they are part of the whole experience.

RV needs to read this....so true.

How are they going to have the Alabama uniform look with 3 colors (green, white, & black)? Bama only has red and white. They could leave black out of the new uniforms. But, if they did that, our black boarder around our field will look very out of place. They would have to remove the black strip off the helmets too. If they did that, I hope they replace it with a white strip and then make the face masks grey.

If we're going to have "North Texas" on the helmets, can we get the SOW on the jersey sleeves?

Rick,

I live in Las Vegas and have already bought four tickets for the first four home games. Would have purchased the last two but needed to pace myself.

I love what you and the team have done and are doing for our great UNT. I am so thrilled to have you as part of the Mean Green family.

I look forward to experiencing the New Mean Green on 9.10.11.

Question: will there be opening weekend festivities? I would like to see a full weekend of celebration with planned events for the opening of our next generation home. I am seeing firework extravaganzas, pre opening and post opening parties. A celebration of the best new stadium in the country. We have one shot and one weekend to make this an incredibly special weekend.

GMG

Hope everyone had a great fourth of July!

Thought I'd respond to this and wait for the flack.

First of all the uniforms have never been of the choosing of the athletic director. That choice is made by coaches as evidencd by the change from Dickey to Dodge. Green Helmets to white helmets. Plain to piping. My only mandate is green and white with occassional use of black. The style and cut of the uniforms are the choice of the head coach in each sport. And no we didn't take the cheapest uni from NIKE, we took the one Coach McCarney wanted. As far as helmet decals, yes I did put the North Texas on the side of the helmet in 2001 because the previous logo was terrible. My first preterence was an overlapped NT but that was nixed by admimistration. And yes my personal preference is not to brand the athletic program as UNT because that is how it would show up on the bottom of ESPN, CBS, etc. So North Texas became the mark. Our consistent use has made it a recognizable and consistent mark.

As for the logo is concerned, yes we have implemented in may spaces throughout the stadium and on the field. I love the logo we helped design in 2005. So I have expanded its' use in many places hwere else it shows up will have to be seen.

As far as pagentry and tradition of college football, I'd love to hear things you would like to see added.

Since arriving we have added the team march through tailgating,

Have you worked out the new route for this? Right now, many of us are not too sure where tailgating will take place, much less where the team march will take place.

helped expand the band from 175 to over 350,

The North Texas Band of my youth was only about 120, but they played MUCH BETTER. This is by way of saying that I prefer quality over quantity. We've recently had visiting pep bands that made a bigger sound than our band....and on more than one occasion.

added musical prompts for fans to follow (jgst like LSU),

What prompts?..... To do what?

reinstituted tailgating,

Actually you instituted it. It was strongly discouraged before you arrived....so thanks!

added the Jr Mean Green tunnel and this fall will add a new end zone tradition during the player entrance. We initiated Friday night at Clark Park and brought live music to the tailgating area. With the help of Fire Fightin Rick and others we have retained the cannon, the Model T and added yhe spirit tug. But the pagentry of college football you talk about isn't just about that. It is created on game day by stands filled with loud, engaged fans who stay the course.

At LSU the mystique of Death Valley is the participation of 80,000 fans in a freny repeating cheers and songs that have been rehearsed for generations.

And when do ours get developed so that our spirit/crowd traditions can start it's multi-generational run?

At clemson it is the orange and blue clad students that line the run down the hill and the 1000s of tents lining the way in. At Texas A&M it is the corp, the kiss and the locking of arms in a show of unity. None of those started yesterday and have been honed over decades. So embrace what is in place and help grow the experience. The new stadium won't create the pagentry but the way it is built will help tighten the space and create a whole new environment. The tailgating space surrounding the stadium can become a field of green and white tents that provide a pregame excitement.

Lastly, I understand that this is a fan board and therefore at some point everyone is going to disagree and complain about something. Everyone knows how to do it better and we never know how to do it right. That said, my vision and the hard work of our current group has taken the program to places most of you ever thought possible.

And while you want to continually find or create problems in the program, you are missing the best times this place has seen in a while. Bragging on the growth of facilities at TSU when you have a far superior facility about to open is proof positive that nothing will ever be good enough! GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

As far as helmet decals, yes I did put the North Texas on the side of the helmet in 2001 because the previous logo was terrible.

Now we have a great logo and it's not being used on the helmets. We will never achieve brand recognition on television or in photos with "North Texas" on the helmets. It's been there for a decade and we're no better off even locally than when we started using it.

As far as helmets go, we have the second worst in FBS (just narrowly beating out Southern Miss).

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

And in anticipation of someone challenging me to make some good suggestions......

Here's one good example of a crowd participation chant/cheer.

http://www.ku.edu/about/traditions/

from Iowa..

from Alabama "rammer jammer"

from Wisconsin. How their band enters for pre-game.

The North Texas band of my youth had a pre-game tradition of lining up at the north end zone and opening with a fanfare (previously posted by "letsgiveacheer") and then entering the field with the fight song. That tradition went away when Dr. Winslow took over.

I'm sure there are many others. Anyone else have any youtubes of other school's traditions?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Since arriving we have added the team march through tailgating,

Have you worked out the new route for this? Right now, many of us are not too sure where tailgating will take place, much less where the team march will take place.

I've heard they have and it will go through the White lot. As for tailgating, what's so confusing? You tailgate where you park, just like at Fouts. There's also green space you can set-up in.

helped expand the band from 175 to over 350,

The North Texas Band of my youth was only about 120, but they played MUCH BETTER. This is by way of saying that I prefer quality over quantity. We've recently had visiting pep bands that made a bigger sound than our band....and on more than one occasion.

Some small pep band blasting their crap sound as loud as possible is not quality over quantity as you said you prefer. It is the opposite. Having our band blast as loud as possible will never happen and thank goodness. Real musicians wouldn't do it. So sick of hearing this.

added musical prompts for fans to follow (jgst like LSU),

What prompts?..... To do what?

There is a Fanfare they play that is a call and answer. They play the fanfare and the cheerleaders and some fans yell North Texas. I think it happens three times and then the last time you yell North Texas Fight. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it's not happening.

At LSU the mystique of Death Valley is the participation of 80,000 fans in a freny repeating cheers and songs that have been rehearsed for generations.

And when do ours get developed so that our spirit/crowd traditions can start it's multi-generational run?

To the point just above, the fact that you could do cheers before and it felt like you were doing them yourself because Fouts was so wide open will change this year. You should be able to fell a part of the game and the cheers now.

Our biggest problem over the years has not been lack of traditions, its been fan apathy. The one's we do have people didn't participate in. Part of that was the fact even when Fouts was full it wasn't loud. So it was hard to get hyped. But part of that was people expecting the product or the experience or the stadium, or the weather, or whatever to be some fantasy that some top 10 program has before they'd start participating. Until then, they'll just be quiet at the games and then complain about how game atmosphere sucks.

The good news is that even half full the new Mean Green Stadium will sound much louder than probably a full fouts ever did. So I expect us to be rewarded for our participation.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Here is a link to a video on UNT fanfare. I think the Goooooo Mean Green on kickoffs is the least used by our fan base, unfortunately.

http://www.meangreensports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=1800&id=38547&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=586400&SPID=70831&DB_OEM_ID=1800

Regarding in game chant and cheer traditions, IMHO, the problem isn't a lack of fan fare stuff like the videos SilverEagle posted. I think the problem falls back on us, the fans. If we only had the same level of passionate top-of-your-lung support and participation in our fanfare. Instead folks want to moan about how much they don't like "Fly Like an Eagle" instead of avidly yelling the chants that we are supposed to be participating with.

Tying this back to what the thread is supposed to be about, the uniforms in this video are probably about as close to what we'll have this year as we've had in the past. At least the helmets anyway, except with a white face mask and possibly kelly green instead of dark green.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

Hope everyone had a great fourth of July!

Thought I'd respond to this and wait for the flack.

First of all the uniforms have never been of the choosing of the athletic director. That choice is made by coaches as evidencd by the change from Dickey to Dodge. Green Helmets to white helmets. Plain to piping. My only mandate is green and white with occassional use of black. The style and cut of the uniforms are the choice of the head coach in each sport. And no we didn't take the cheapest uni from NIKE, we took the one Coach McCarney wanted. As far as helmet decals, yes I did put the North Texas on the side of the helmet in 2001 because the previous logo was terrible. My first preterence was an overlapped NT but that was nixed by admimistration. And yes my personal preference is not to brand the athletic program as UNT because that is how it would show up on the bottom of ESPN, CBS, etc. So North Texas became the mark. Our consistent use has made it a recognizable and consistent mark.

As for the logo is concerned, yes we have implemented in may spaces throughout the stadium and on the field. I love the logo we helped design in 2005. So I have expanded its' use in many places hwere else it shows up will have to be seen.

As far as pagentry and tradition of college football, I'd love to hear things you would like to see added. Since arriving we have added the team march through taigating, helped expand the band from 175 to over 350, added musical prompts for fans to follow (jgst like LSU), reinstituted tailgating, added the Jr Mean Green tunnel and this fall will add a new end zone tradition during the player entrance. We initiated Friday night at Clark Park and brought live music to the tailgating area. With the help of Fire Fightin Rick and others we have retained the cannon, the Model T and added yhe spirit tug. But the pagentry of college football you talk about isn't just about that. It is created on game day by stands filled with loud, engaged fans who stay the course. At LSU the mystique of Death Valley is the participation of 80,000 fans in a freny repeating cheers and songs that have been rehearsed for generations. At clemson it is the orange and blue clad students that line the run down the hill and the 1000s of tents lining the way in. At Texas A&M it is the corp, the kiss and the locking of arms in a show of unity. None of those started yesterday and have been honed over decades. So embrace what is in place and help grow the experience. The new stadium won't create the pagentry but the way it is built will help tighten the space and create a whole new environment. The tailgating space surrounding the stadium can become a field of green and white tents that provide a pregame excitement.

Lastly, I understand that this is a fan board and therefore at some point everyone is going to disagree and complain about something. Everyone knows how to do it better and we never know how to do it right. That said, my vision and the hard work of our current group has taken the program to places most of you ever thought possible. And while you want to continually find or create problems in the program, you are missing the best times this place has seen in a while. Bragging on the growth of facilities at TSU when you have a far superior facility about to open is proof positive that nothing will ever be good enough! GO MEAN GREEN

Rick,

We will ultimately get out of our experience as fans whatever we decide to put in. You've helped to provide us with a playground we've dreamed of for decades, it'll eventually be up to us to create an atmosphere deserving a venue such as ours. We thoroughly enjoy the players march, Friday Nights at Clark, the Jr Mean Green area and the fact that we can actually tailgate for our games. My family of 4 will be flying in from sunny South Florida on Sept 10th to add our 4 voices to the sycophony of sound.

See you in Miami on Sept 1st and WNNT!

As for the logo is concerned, yes we have implemented in may spaces throughout the stadium and on the field. I love the logo we helped design in 2005. So I have expanded its' use in many places where else it shows up will have to be seen.

i hope this is a hint of something maybe helmet related?

thanks for the clarification on several issues. i do like using north texas vs unt.

the overlapped nt should be tried again, new administration you know!

the tsu issue is just summer boredom. the wac seems to be surrounding us with utsa, tsu, and now uta also accepting. eventually the elephant in the room will have to be dealt with.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here is a link to a video on UNT fanfare. I think the Goooooo Mean Green on kickoffs is the least used by our fan base, unfortunately.

http://www.meangreensports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=1800&id=38547&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=586400&SPID=70831&DB_OEM_ID=1800

Are you kidding me? I've heard that "musical prompt" for years but thought it was something generic the band was doing until a REAL musical prompt was created. Yeah, it's really something. That must be why there had to be an audio overlay done so that you could actually hear the prompt on the web-site. That thing has always sounded like a musical segue that some magic act would use while the magician is changing from one part of his act to another....not a spirit prompt.

Where is the "POW" or "BAM" to begin these "prompts". Where is the grand entrance by our band? Most other college bands enter the field/stadium with high energy. By comparison our band (at least since Winslow took over and up to now)....... saunters.

AND where are the high energy cheer staff? The alumni side has always gotten what looks like the second unit.... who wanders over to our side and then proceeds to give us a pseudo-gymnastic demonstration. The only time they get anywhere close to animated is when they are holding up the "North" and "Texas" signs for what I always called the "across the heartland...and further...cheer".

I remember a male cheer staff that was on the squad during our 2003 bowl run. He was a young man of color who had a shaved head...and he was AWESOME. If the crowd wasn't loud enough, or participating enough, he would practically come up into the stands and get into the middle of the crowd. Every cheer person on the cheer squad should be just like him.

But sadly I haven't seen anyone remotely like him since then.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

...and while I'm at it. Why don't we use our "national champion" (you know, the one we never see at games) drum line to be part of a cheer/chant. They could develop a very high energy beat like this.........

and coordinate with the cheer staff to insert some quick (but loud) cheers into the beat.

• Upvote 2

Lastly, I understand that this is a fan board and therefore at some point everyone is going to disagree and complain about something. Everyone knows how to do it better and we never know how to do it right.

You could announce right now that you are giving all members of this board $ 10,000 a piece tommorrow @ noon on the 50 yard line of the new stadium.

Some would come back on here Sunday night and bitch about how they got all their $10,000 in 1's. " RV should've atleast given me all 100's !!".

Some would bitch that it was too hot and you should have done it inside with AC. "RV should've atleast had the cheerleaders spray us down with water hoses!!"

Others would complain that they live out of town and weren't given enough notice to get to the new stadium in time. " RV should've atleast paid for my plane ticket!"

It's just the way message boards go

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

You could announce right now that you are giving all members of this board $ 10,000 a piece tommorrow @ noon on the 50 yard line of the new stadium.

Some would come back on here Sunday night and bitch about how they got all their $10,000 in 1's. " RV should've atleast given me all 100's !!".

Some would bitch that it was too hot and you should have done it inside with AC. "RV should've atleast had the cheerleaders spray us down with water hoses!!"

Others would complain that they live out of town and weren't given enough notice to get to the new stadium in time. " RV should've atleast paid for my plane ticket!"

It's just the way message boards go

Mitchell looks like a David Robinson starter kit in your avatar. Beast.

Now we have a great logo and it's not being used on the helmets. We will never achieve brand recognition on television or in photos with "North Texas" on the helmets. It's been there for a decade and we're no better off even locally than when we started using it.

As far as helmets go, we have the second worst in FBS (just narrowly beating out Southern Miss).

I don't want to overuse the new logo. At home games it will be visible at the center of the field. That's enough for me for now.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6