South Alabama Season Ticket Sales

MeanGreen61

Last season, if USA had been a football-playing member of the Sun Belt, their 8,433 season tickets would have put them in second place in the conference. They would have been beaten only by Troy and their suspiciously even number of 10,000 season tickets sold. The rest of the Sun Belt broke down like this: WKU (7,340), ULL (6,797), MTSU (6,157), ASU (5,777), ULM (3,042), UNT (2,745), FIU (2,500) and FAU (1,431).

http://southalabama.scout.com/2/1079988.html

This really shows how pathetic our alumni and Denton support is. Not even 3,000 season tickets sold when we have over 90,000 alumni in DFW and we play in a city with a population around 115,000. I don't know if the AD has a staff dedicated to ticket sales, but if they do they need to be fired and if they don't we need a sales staff.

• Upvote 2

This really shows how pathetic our alumni and Denton support is. Not even 3,000 season tickets sold when we have over 90,000 alumni in DFW and we play in a city with a population around 115,000. I don't know if the AD has a staff dedicated to ticket sales, but if they do they need to be fired and if they don't we need a sales staff.

Step back a bit there UNTcrazy727 on the firing stuff. There is a brand new team in town focusing on seat sales and season tickets. The old regime is really pretty much gone. Now, let's just give the new team a chance to see what they can do. So far the reports are pretty darn positive with all the suites sold, more than half of the club seats sold and season ticket sales ahead of this time last year. I agree that the support for UNT has been woeful at best when it comes to season ticket sales, but game day attendance has been on the rise, and should be way up this season with the opening of the new stadium.

For UNT to have under 3000 season tickets sold is truly a shame...I saw some Oklahoma State folks on their board whining recently about having sold only 31,000 season tickets so far this year...and they are predicted by some to be an early season pick in the Top 10! So, I guess numbers can be relative, but UNT needs to have more support and the folks are out trying to get that support "in the house". Notice the billboards, the radio talk, the new stadium, the new coaching staff, the new athletic dept. development and sales staff members, etc,, etc.

I think you might be a tad late to the party with the "shows pathetic support" thing from Alumni and fans, as that train left the station years ago. No denying the pathetic support part at all. We all know area high schools who sell more than 2500 season tickets, right? So, now we will see where this goes with the new sales and promo efforts and the new stadium/coaching staffs, etc. I am right now thinking it's going in the right direction. I just hope many many more people jump on the season ticket bandwagon and SOON!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This situation seems to me, upon reflection, as being an indicator of where game attendance ranks in terms of personal priorities. One theory is that people know there will be good walk-up seats available on gameday so they wait to see if the weather will be to their liking, or something comes up that they would enjoy doing more, etc. It all goes back to what numerous posters have said for years: WIN. If we can put some wins in the book, we will put more butts in seats and build more than a casual fanbase. Now you do have to admit that us diehards have not enjoyed the on-field action since 2004; we continue to re-up because we are fully committed and plan our fall activities around the schedule. There just aren't enough of us that think that way...YET. JMHO

• Upvote 4

Step back a bit there UNTcrazy727 on the firing stuff. There is a brand new team in town focusing on seat sales and season tickets. The old regime is really pretty much gone. Now, let's just give the new team a chance to see what they can do. So far the reports are pretty darn positive with all the suites sold, more than half of the club seats sold and season ticket sales ahead of this time last year. I agree that the support for UNT has been woeful at best when it comes to season ticket sales, but game day attendance has been on the rise, and should be way up this season with the opening of the new stadium.

For UNT to have under 3000 season tickets sold is truly a shame...I saw some Oklahoma State folks on their board whining recently about having sold only 31,000 season tickets so far this year...and they are predicted by some to be an early season pick in the Top 10! So, I guess numbers can be relative, but UNT needs to have more support and the folks are out trying to get that support "in the house". Notice the billboards, the radio talk, the new stadium, the new coaching staff, the new athletic dept. development and sales staff members, etc,, etc.

I think you might be a tad late to the party with the "shows pathetic support" thing from Alumni and fans, as that train left the station years ago. No denying the pathetic support part at all. We all know area high schools who sell more than 2500 season tickets, right? So, now we will see where this goes with the new sales and promo efforts and the new stadium/coaching staffs, etc. I am right now thinking it's going in the right direction. I just hope many many more people jump on the season ticket bandwagon and SOON!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Sorry, wasn't aware they just hired a staff. In that case, no, don't fire them lol lets see what they can do.

I know everyone has been saying how bad the support is for years, but it's depressing to see a number like this that reminds you how bad it is. However, things do look like they're getting better, which is encouraging.

• Upvote 1

This situation seems to me, upon reflection, as being an indicator of where game attendance ranks in terms of personal priorities. One theory is that people know there will be good walk-up seats available on gameday so they wait to see if the weather will be to their liking, or something comes up that they would enjoy doing more, etc. It all goes back to what numerous posters have said for years: WIN.

Nail on the head.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So this new "crack sales team" is still in Denton during the summer working to get the season ticket sales up, right? I sure hope so.

Hey, Deep...if you live close enough to come up, let me know and I'll take you over and introduce you to several of the "new folks" working athletic development and ticket sales. Or, better yet, give Cooper Jones a call and set up a introduction meeting with his team and then step over and meet the new ticket folks. They are "good folks" and definitely have goals.

I know there have been some missteps here and there, and that is too bad for all concerned, but these folks are working hard to get the numbers up and to bring more people both to and back to the Mean Green. I think we all hope that their efforts pay off. If all you recall are the "Mandy days" then you are in for a very pleasant surprise indeed.

But, really, no problem meeting and getting to know these folks. I'll buy the beer afterwards if you want me to set this up!

• Upvote 2

Another school to look at with envy is Old Dominion in my hometown of Norfolk. They resumed playing football after an absence of 65 years and have sold out their stadium two years in a row, averaging just under 20,000 per game with attendance ahead of South Alabama.

It is hard to make comparisons as there are no pro sports in the Tidewater area to compete with. The area really gets behind the team.

I suspect if their administration wanted to, they could easily make the jump to D1 in short order, similar to what South and Central Florida did. Va is a fairly large state and only supports two D1 teams, UVa and Tech.

If I recall, they were also members of the Sun Belt in the old days.

Thread

letsgiveacheer hits the nail squarely on the head when he says things like "the area really gets behind the team". That is a BIG help, indeed. For far too long (and it still remains today) there has been a big "town and gown gap" in Denton. It's not just UNT, TWU gets it's fair share of "lack of community support" as well. Denton is an "interesting" town, and that's one reason I love it so much, but it is "blind" when it comes to understanding the mutual benefit that UNT and the community could be if they ever really worked together. It has always been strange to me (we moved to Denton in 1965) as many of the local politicians and town leaders were UNT and TWU professors and administrators. One would think that would help meld the two into a great partnership. But, alas, that was and is still not the case. Now it has become so a part of the local culture that, at times, it seems neither side is willing to do anything to change it. Take a look at other small communities where universities and colleges are located. You will find many that "love" each other...think Stillwater, Oklahoma and OSU...think Warrensburg, Mo. and U. of Central Missouri, think Old Dominion as letsgiveacheer notes...heck, the list can go on and on...Bryan College-Station...even Norman, etc., etc. So, why the gap between UNT and Denton? Beats the crud out of me...I have thoughts just as all Denton residents do...and there is plenty of "issues" to go around on both sides...the stadium and the Denia folks come to immediate mind....

I long for the day when both sides wake up and see how much greater it could be if they really were partners and acknowledged the benefit of each to the other. If the city embraced UNT and UNT embraced the city, that new stadium would already have 10,000 + season ticket holders.

Maybe the new administration has noticed the same challenge and will work to open up the lines of communication. Could happen...should happen.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Another school to look at with envy is Old Dominion in my hometown of Norfolk. They resumed playing football after an absence of 65 years and have sold out their stadium two years in a row, averaging just under 20,000 per game with attendance ahead of South Alabama.

It is hard to make comparisons as there are no pro sports in the Tidewater area to compete with. The area really gets behind the team.

I suspect if their administration wanted to, they could easily make the jump to D1 in short order, similar to what South and Central Florida did. Va is a fairly large state and only supports two D1 teams, UVa and Tech.

If I recall, they were also members of the Sun Belt in the old days.

Thread

I spent 4 yrs in the Navy at NOB (Norfolk Navy Base) and when I was just stationed there ODU was the 1st place I went to go scope out the campus and hopefully campus bars. Now I know that alot has changed since 03 with their being a rejuvenated pride in the sports programs and with both money making sports being pretty competitive.........but there wasn't crap going on at ODU when I was there and I was glad I didn't stay and go to school there.

With that said......their ticket sales are fantastic compared to what I would have presumed would have occurred. This is DIRECTLY due to the lack of Professional Sports Teams in Hampton Roads (over 1.7 million people live in the area). The Admirals and the Tides are fun to watch...but nothing like having a competitive college team in the area (which ODU has two of now).

It is just an entirely different situation over there than what is residing in Denton. Are their points to be made from their ticket sales success? Yes...of course but the situation is so entirely different.

They had better plan on a new stadium expansion since there is a waiting list for season tickets and they don't even really sell individual tickets. That is a great problem to have but one that should be remedied asap.

I've always resented the fact that visiting fans (football and basketball) can walk up to the ticket window 30 prior to kick/tip and get tickets in the same area Mean Green season ticket holders sit. I know the goal is to sell every ticket possible, but I'd sure to explore the notion of only selling general admission tickets on game day. Force people to either buy season tickets or sit in the end zone or with the visiting fans.

• Upvote 3

letsgiveacheer hits the nail squarely on the head when he says things like "the area really gets behind the team". That is a BIG help, indeed. For far too long (and it still remains today) there has been a big "town and gown gap" in Denton. It's not just UNT, TWU gets it's fair share of "lack of community support" as well. Denton is an "interesting" town, and that's one reason I love it so much, but it is "blind" when it comes to understanding the mutual benefit that UNT and the community could be if they ever really worked together. It has always been strange to me (we moved to Denton in 1965) as many of the local politicians and town leaders were UNT and TWU professors and administrators. One would think that would help meld the two into a great partnership. But, alas, that was and is still not the case. Now it has become so a part of the local culture that, at times, it seems neither side is willing to do anything to change it. Take a look at other small communities where universities and colleges are located. You will find many that "love" each other...think Stillwater, Oklahoma and OSU...think Warrensburg, Mo. and U. of Central Missouri, think Old Dominion as letsgiveacheer notes...heck, the list can go on and on...Bryan College-Station...even Norman, etc., etc. So, why the gap between UNT and Denton? Beats the crud out of me...I have thoughts just as all Denton residents do...and there is plenty of "issues" to go around on both sides...the stadium and the Denia folks come to immediate mind....

I long for the day when both sides wake up and see how much greater it could be if they really were partners and acknowledged the benefit of each to the other. If the city embraced UNT and UNT embraced the city, that new stadium would already have 10,000 + season ticket holders.

Maybe the new administration has noticed the same challenge and will work to open up the lines of communication. Could happen...should happen.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I am only half joking when I say that some of the oldtimers in Denton still haven't gotten over those dang pot smoking hippies of the 60's and 70's, but you would have thought that would have blown over by now. It is strange that there is so little support from the locals, and I think that will gradually improve as many of the newcomer commuters and such who have flooded the city over the last decade or so begin to develop more of a sense of community. To me, the lack of local support really rears its ugly head at BB games, and I hope that the success there as well as the new stadium can jumpstart the locals sooner rather than later. Dallas/Arlington/Frisco really aren't all that close when you consider the traffic situation, so we are pretty much the only game in town.

I've always resented the fact that visiting fans (football and basketball) can walk up to the ticket window 30 prior to kick/tip and get tickets in the same area Mean Green season ticket holders sit. I know the goal is to sell every ticket possible, but I'd sure to explore the notion of only selling general admission tickets on game day. Force people to either buy season tickets or sit in the end zone or with the visiting fans.

Spot ON and not just at football games... I hated having to show my basketball season ticket to a different person sitting in my seat at EVERY SINGLE GAME and having to explain how that was my spot, only to always have them look at me and say "but the usher said we could sit anywhere". I know it's an unwritten rule for general admission to be able to move wherever they want at the pit, but it would be nice if at least the first few rows in the 3 middle sections had a rope separating them.

Well, I usually buy two season tickets in my package a year, and I am uping that to three for this season, so I feel like I'm still doing my part. I also try and by as much UNT stuff as I can. I have somthing like 20 shirts, 26 jerseys, and about 10 caps.

I still maintain that the biggest problem the local metroplex universities have against them are: the Dallas Cowboys, Mavericks, Rangers, and Stars. When you have pro teams to contend with, along with TCU and SMU, people gravitate to the pro teams. The fact that UNT is viewed as a commuter school also doesn't help along with bouncing around from DI to DII and back to DI again (where it should have stayed all along). We face the other big commuter school is the state in Houston as we open our new home stadium. I think they might have similar attendance type issues based on some of my friends that are alumni from there.

The school just needs to keep promoting and the team needs to start winning. It looked like we were on our way in our Sun Belt Titles, but it just crashed and burned in 2006.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I have been a UNT alumni for a few months and I bought my season tickets, as well as joining the mean green club. Once we start winning this season and everyone one in DFW jumps on our bandwagon, then we can say at least we werent bandwagon fans.

Well, I usually buy two season tickets in my package a year, and I am uping that to three for this season, so I feel like I'm still doing my part. I also try and by as much UNT stuff as I can. I have somthing like 20 shirts, 26 jerseys, and about 10 caps.

I still maintain that the biggest problem the local metroplex universities have against them are: the Dallas Cowboys, Mavericks, Rangers, and Stars. When you have pro teams to contend with, along with TCU and SMU, people gravitate to the pro teams. The fact that UNT is viewed as a commuter school also doesn't help along with bouncing around from DI to DII and back to DI again (where it should have stayed all along). We face the other big commuter school is the state in Houston as we open our new home stadium. I think they might have similar attendance type issues based on some of my friends that are alumni from there.

The school just needs to keep promoting and the team needs to start winning. It looked like we were on our way in our Sun Belt Titles, but it just crashed and burned in 2006.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I agree with you. That is why I feel it is important that we reach out to other communities as well as DFW. If we target the areas of Gainsville, Decatur, and McKinney we will reach a population less likely to attend sporting events in Dallas. For these communities, North Texas athletics are the only game in town, when it comes to major NCAA athletics. We have large alumni bases in these communities, and many of their high school students will attend UNT.

Making these communities fans of North Texas and it's athletic programs should be a high priority. If we gain substantial support from these populations, I believe our large alumni base in DFW will increase their support and involvement in North Texas.

When colleges have sellout games they don't care where the fans came from. The Dallas news stations will report on a sellout game, and they won't care what direction the fans drove in from. Sellouts get the attention of everyone.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

GO MEAN GREEN!

I've long thought the same thing. Denton's attitude toward the University seems odd. I made friends with a lot of locals and they seem to keep to themselves and their local spots and privately resented the school. Weird. That maybe just those people.

In other news:

I am ambivalent. Back when everyone was busy hating on UTSA when they announced their plans I was one of the people thinking they were going to do alright.

On the other hand I am slightly jealous that they are doing so well so far compared to us.

Then again, as someone mentioned, there are a lot of live sports in DFW. There ain't sh** else to do down here in SA besides drink margaritas and watch the Cowboys practice their 8-8 season.

Edited by aztecskin
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nothing excites me more than watching the first game at the new digs.

But I can't say I don't have nightmares about that thing not being sold out, more so than a potential blowout loss. I really, really hope we have sold more than 4,392 season tickets so far (2,745 last year with 60% increase that was reported by someone on here). If I had to take a guess, I would say there will be about that many seats sold to Coog fans on opening day (I know we'll vastly outnumber them, not worried about that)

Does anyone know if last year's 2.745 includes the number purchased for athletic staff and recruits?

Edited by MDH

We face the other big commuter school is the state in Houston as we open our new home stadium. I think they might have similar attendance type issues based on some of my friends that are alumni from there.

I believe UH was at about 5-6k three or four years ago. We've really made big strides the last 3 years. Last year UH sold 11,400 season tickets. We had over 30k for every game and came within 2k tickets total for selling out the entire season. Almost all of those were in the last game. The athletic department is shooting for 15k this season, but that may be a little ambitious.

I think there are two major catalysts that make season ticket sales really snowball. First is selling out the "big" games on the schedule. If fans become afraid of missing the big game, they'll buy season tickets to guarantee they can go, even if they don't attend every game.

The next but smaller boost is selling games out early. If it becomes a hassle to get tickets on game day, some fans will just buy season tickets to make their game day experience worry free.

• Upvote 1

I understand your feelings here, but those who walk up and buy the seats next to you or me are going to have to pay much more per seat than you or I did in the season ticket package (at least I hope so). I'm paying $25 per seat per game. I guarantee the walk-up folks will be paying around $40-$50 per seat to sit next to me at the Houston game and maybe even the Indiana game. And, if the seats are available... sell them!

How will people have an incentive to go to these games with the product that has been rolled out there the last 6 y ears?