Unt Wants Nit But Not Cbi Or Cit

chrisfisher

• 2 weeks later...

He probably is unaware of CBI and his statement was a dig at SMU, to wit: even if they win it is irrelevant and no one cares.

VCU were #101 last year.

I'm not looking too down on the CBI or CIT after hearing this. With our young team next season, I'd take any postseason tournament we can get.

VCU were #101 last year.

I'm not looking too down on the CBI or CIT after hearing this. With our young team next season, I'd take any postseason tournament we can get.

I couldn't agree more. I hope next years young team plays in any tournament that they can get into. The experience will be extremely valuable for for the following seasons.

• 6 years later...
On 3/11/2011 at 7:54 PM, NT03 said:

It would be awesome if Houston Baptist is able to get in the CIT. The Great West Tourny gets a auto bid. They are currently in OT in the quarterfinal game vs North Dakota.

I of course just jinxed them , lost on a last second shot

I miss NT03 :/

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Like many other high volume posters with consistent takes, I have always loved the CBI.

Notice, my main argument against it was we were a senior laden team with a previous NCAA tournament experience.  For a squad of underclassmen, the CBI is a boon.  Especially a title.

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2011 at 7:06 AM, UNTLifer said:

Does the CBI or CIT really provide good publicity? Who played in these tournaments last year, who won them? That's what I thought. They are a wasted of time.

LOL....VCU and Shaka Smart won the CBI the year before in 2010....and would go on to the final 4 a week after this post. 

Im not laughing at Lifer, it's just funny to read back how some of us felt compared to now.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Notice, my main argument against it was we were a senior laden team with a previous NCAA tournament experience.  For a squad of underclassmen, the CBI is a boon.  Especially a title.

And you were not only right but two of our current AD dept officials told me the very same thing the night before Mercer, that if you are losing several Seniors then it's not usually going to be in our interest.  But if you have a youngvteam...then rock on with it.

Sometimes timing is key.

Rick

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

I just thought it was funny - and I was with your argument that totally made sense for the team at the time. Lifer doubling down that nobody cares was probably the biggest chuckle in the whole thing, but we were mostly all there with him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Quoner said:

I just thought it was funny - and I was with your argument that totally made sense for the team at the time. Lifer doubling down that nobody cares was probably the biggest chuckle in the whole thing, but we were mostly all there with him.

You couple the CTI/SMU and honestly nobody does care.

I had a blast with our run, and for a young team with everyone coming back, the experience will be so, so valuable in 2018-2019. 

But, how much coverage has this garnered outside of Denton. 

• Downvote 2

I was reading a quote from one of the San Francisco players.  He said there are 4 post season tournaments.  They (SF) are in one of them.  And North Texas won it.  It's not THE NCAA Tournament, but it IS  A   NCAA tournament.  Fans and NT coaches get to brag on that fact all off season and all recruiting season.

I'm glad I got to witness 4 games of this tourney.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I had a blast with our run, and for a young team with everyone coming back, the experience will be so, so valuable in 2018-2019. 

If I was selling ads for next year's CBI, I'd care about this, but bringing in 10,000+ in for the best basketball experience we've had in half a decade has a pretty high value - not to mention what it meant for the foundation of a new coach in year one. Mocking SMU proved pretty silly when it laid the foundation for a pretty solid run. Hopefully, we look back on this the same way when some idiot pulls the thread in 2024.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, Quoner said:

If I was selling ads for next year's CBI, I'd care about this, but bringing in 10,000+ in for the best basketball experience we've had in half a decade has a pretty high value - not to mention what it meant for the foundation of a new coach in year one. Mocking SMU proved pretty silly when it laid the foundation for a pretty solid run. Hopefully, we look back on this the same way when some idiot pulls the thread in 2024.

Got it on my calendar. 

• Haha 2

I would not trade this for anything.  A great run by our team, great turnout by the fans and the annoucers said students were lined up around the corner 90 minutes before game time.  This was an invaluable experience for this team and I am extremely proud of them, but they and this situation are much different from the team when this thread began.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

On 3/31/2018 at 1:21 PM, UNTLifer said:

The nice writeup in the DMN might end up being of some benefit. Loved the crowd, and imagine how loud that place could be if we were ever to start filling it up. Future's looking bright.

• Upvote 1