New Qb Offer - Andrew Mcnulty

gangrene

Andrew McNulty - pro-style QB from Iowa City, Iowa. He is interested in Indiana, Iowa and North Texas, with the only known offer from North Texas. His profile can also be found on the recruiting blog for the QB position.

Iowa City HS went undefeated and won the 4-A (highest classification in Iowa) state title in 2009 behind the leadership of QB, A.J. Derby, a 2009 Army All-American and Rivals 4 star recruit who redshirted at Iowa this season. While McNulty backed up Derby his junior season, leaving him with just one year of experience as a starting QB, he was also a starting DB on the 2009 team.

McNulty was able to lead the Little Hawks (yes, that's their name) back to the 4-A state title game this year, but they came up short in their bid for back-to-back undefeated season and state titles, losing to Dowling Catholic, 38-31 in overtime of the championship game. He's listed as a "pro-style" QB but rushed for 1,137 yards and 14 TDs (the leading RB had 1,350 rushing yards and 21 TDs), while passing for an additional 1,438 and 12 TDs (5 INTs). Those stats would seem to indicate a dual-threat QB to me.

McNulty is very interested in going to Iowa too, but would have to compete with Derby and 2011 verbal commit Jake Rudock - a Rivals 3 star prospect and ranked 29th best pro-style QB in the nation. In addition, Iowa has a standing offer with the 2011 class 12th ranked pro-style QB in the nation, per Rivals, and looks to have five QBs, including Derby, returning next season. However, this year's starter Ricky Stanzi will graduate.

Andrew McNulty - pro-style QB from Iowa City, Iowa. He is interested in Indiana, Iowa and North Texas, with the only known offer from North Texas. His profile can also be found on the recruiting blog for the QB position.

Iowa City HS went undefeated and won the 4-A (highest classification in Iowa) state title in 2009 behind the leadership of QB, A.J. Derby, a 2009 Army All-American and Rivals 4 star recruit who redshirted at Iowa this season. While McNulty backed up Derby his junior season, leaving him with just one year of experience as a starting QB, he was also a starting DB on the 2009 team.

McNulty was able to lead the Little Hawks (yes, that's their name) back to the 4-A state title game this year, but they came up short in their bid for back-to-back undefeated season and state titles, losing to Dowling Catholic, 38-31 in overtime of the championship game. He's listed as a "pro-style" QB but rushed for 1,137 yards and 14 TDs (the leading RB had 1,350 rushing yards and 21 TDs), while passing for an additional 1,438 and 12 TDs (5 INTs). Those stats would seem to indicate a dual-threat QB to me.

McNulty is very interested in going to Iowa too, but would have to compete with Derby and 2011 verbal commit Jake Rudock - a Rivals 3 star prospect and ranked 29th best pro-style QB in the nation. In addition, Iowa has a standing offer with the 2011 class 12th ranked pro-style QB in the nation, per Rivals, and looks to have five QBs, including Derby, returning next season. However, this year's starter Ricky Stanzi will graduate.

seems solid, any film?

• Upvote 1

Glad to have him interested, but is he head and shoulders above some of the local young men that are interested in North Texas? If not, why offer a kid that far from home that could become homesick over kids that live in this area/state?

Now if he rates a 4 or 5 star on Rivals, then get him here.

• Upvote 1

Glad to have him interested, but is he head and shoulders above some of the local young men that are interested in North Texas? If not, why offer a kid that far from home that could become homesick over kids that live in this area/state?

Now if he rates a 4 or 5 star on Rivals, then get him here.

FWIW 0 Stars on Rivals.

I trust Coach Mac but this guy is really under the radar. He is not listed by either Scout or ESPN and not rated so far by Rivals.

I agree he's flying under the radar, but I'm not sure why. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because he only had one year to showcase his QB skills and didn't compile stellar passing stats. Still, he replaced a 2009 Rivals top 250 player in A.J. Derby and the team didn't seem to miss a beat. He's also very athletic, having played CB in 2009 as well as basketball and track. Oh, and he was also the punter. In fact, FWIW he was named both player of the year and punter of the year in Mississippi Division of the MVC. BTW, he is listed on Scout - I just didn't include that profile in the original post because it doesn't contain much info. Here's a blurb from the Iowa City Press-Citizen blog on his basketball team:

Outlook: The Little Hawks lost their top-five scorers from last year, and experience is at a premium this year. Senior Andrew McNulty is the state leader back at 5.8 points and 2.7 rebounds per game, but he'll be out a while recovering from surgery on his left hand. Point guard Jeremy Johnson is the next-most experienced player, but his action was limited last season. Senior post Aaron Johnson is 6-foot-6 and will be valuable for his height and strength.

I'm not sure what he led the state in - surely not points or rebounds?

Now, obviously earning accolades in Iowa carry far less weight that they would in a state like Texas, California or Florida, but I am interested.

McNulty excited to see UNT

I've never been to Texas and am really looking forward to it," McNulty said.

McNulty played in Iowa City High's defensive backfield up until his senior season and said he told UNT's staff he is open to moving back to the defensive side of the ball if the Mean Green goes in another direction at quarterback.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2011/01/mcnulty-excited-to-see-unt.html

Sounds like a good one. A team first player.

• Upvote 1

This has not so much to do with this kid as it does to a question of "why does UNT need another QB prospect?" I tend to think UNT is doing fine with its current crew and QB commits. What I think UNT needs is some defensive help in a big way and an all out effort might be considered to get some defensive help into Denton. UNT would have won several games last season if the defense could have made just one stop at the critical time. I guess you could say that about just about every team, but in UNT's case, the offense put up enough points in almost every game to win if only the defense could have stepped up a bit.

I am a firm believer that this new coaching staff will get tons more out of the players it currently has on the defensive side of the ball as UNT is not devoid of talented athletes on the D-side. I think fans will see some surprises as to how well some of our current defensive guys will play next year...so much so that questions will asked such as "where did that guy come from? and is that the same guy we saw last season?...based on the ability of this new staff to actually coach these kids and instill a new positive attitude on the defensive side.

BUT, that still does not negate the fact that I believe UNT's first and primary focus this off-season should be on the recruitment of as many players as possible for the defense.

Before anyone jumps here, I am not advocating that UNT completely ignore the offense in this recruiting class, but simply to focus on the defense. How many QB's does one need?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This has not so much to do with this kid as it does to a question of "why does UNT need another QB prospect?" I tend to think UNT is doing fine with its current crew and QB commits. What I think UNT needs is some defensive help in a big way and an all out effort might be considered to get some defensive help into Denton. UNT would have won several games last season if the defense could have made just one stop at the critical time. I guess you could say that about just about every team, but in UNT's case, the offense put up enough points in almost every game to win if only the defense could have stepped up a bit.

I am a firm believer that this new coaching staff will get tons more out of the players it currently has on the defensive side of the ball as UNT is not devoid of talented athletes on the D-side. I think fans will see some surprises as to how well some of our current defensive guys will play next year...so much so that questions will asked such as "where did that guy come from? and is that the same guy we saw last season?...based on the ability of this new staff to actually coach these kids and instill a new positive attitude on the defensive side.

BUT, that still does not negate the fact that I believe UNT's first and primary focus this off-season should be on the recruitment of as many players as possible for the defense.

Before anyone jumps here, I am not advocating that UNT completely ignore the offense in this recruiting class, but simply to focus on the defense. How many QB's does one need?

Kram...I love ya...but I can't see how you would ask that question after last year's debacle when we all thought that with these guys we were QB heavy:

Tune

Thompson

Dodge

Teegarden

Baine

Dodson

and still by the end of the year we were on our 4th string and not who we ever anticipated (most of us anyway) would be taking snaps in-game.

Kram...I love ya...but I can't see how you would ask that question after last year's debacle when we all thought that with these guys we were QB heavy:

Tune

Thompson

Dodge

Teegarden

Baine

Dodson

and still by the end of the year we were on our 4th string and not who we ever anticipated (most of us anyway) would be taking snaps in-game.

Simply because I do not see that happening again in 2011, and because UNT has some quality guys returning and committed and because, even with the injuries, UNT could have won several more games with the QB it had at the time if the D had simply done its part. That's all.

Simply because I do not see that happening again in 2011, and because UNT has some quality guys returning and committed and because, even with the injuries, UNT could have won several more games with the QB it had at the time if the D had simply done its part. That's all.

Good points, and I totally agree. When this years signing class is finalized, I hope that I won't have to make the same Clara Peller statement that I made after TD's first signing class........."Where's the Beef"?.

In fairness to McNulty:

McNulty played in Iowa City High's defensive backfield up until his senior season and said he told UNT's staff he is open to moving back to the defensive side of the ball if the Mean Green goes in another direction at quarterback.

McNulty goes to Iowa City High School, which happens to also be the high school where Dan McCarney and also Kent Riddle graduated from. I believe McCarney and McNulty's dad were college roommates at Iowa. Smart, fundamentally sound kid that could probably play QB or safety. Played in the shadow of a high school all-american for 3 years, and made the most of his time on the field. He'd be a good pick-up for you guys.

Thanks for the update and information on McNulty. I'm not against the young man coming here, except I worry about homesickness and like having local relatives coming to games and becoming longtime supporters of the program. I also want to see this coaching staff building relationships with Texas high school coaching staffs.

Then again, with his family's connection to Coach Mc, I do feel better about him.

Thanks for the update and information on McNulty. I'm not against the young man coming here, except I worry about homesickness and like having local relatives coming to games and becoming longtime supporters of the program. I also want to see this coaching staff building relationships with Texas high school coaching staffs.

A valid concern

Then again, with his family's connection to Coach Mc, I do feel better about him.

A valid remedy

• 4 years later...

Some footage of him (the commentator on the first one is a wee slow)

My link

He can Run... check 2:25

My link

Iowa paper talking about him and Iowa

IOWA

some pretty big scores for his team this year

Schedule

What the Hawkeye forum has to say about him

My link

Someone posted in a thread recently that McNulty can't run.   It got me thinking.  I thought that when he started at North Texas, his running ability was one of the strengths he was bringing to the table.   I had to go back and look at some of our original assessments on him.  I also thought that after seeing him play for us, one of the knocks was that he was too quick to look for an opportunity to run vs being a little more patient in the pocket.  

Bigger picture, it all makes me wonder:   Is McNulty just a bust?   Did we coach him into being something worse than he could have been?  Have we talked ourselves into believing Andy Mac is worse than he really is (the way some talked themselves into believing Dajon was better than he really was IMO)?

Maybe (hopefully) he has a breakout senior year, the way Thompson did.

• Upvote 1

Whew, for a second there I thought Mac was bringing in another one. All I can say is that a QB with a below average arm and pretty good mobility can still be very good at this level, but only if he has the right supporting cast to go along with really having what it takes above the shoulders. We shall find out soon enough whether or not this is his breakout year.

• Upvote 1

Bigger picture, it all makes me wonder:   Is McNulty just a bust?   Did we coach him into being something worse than he could have been?  Have we talked ourselves into believing Andy Mac is worse than he really is (the way some talked themselves into believing Dajon was better than he really was IMO)?

Maybe (hopefully) he has a breakout senior year, the way Thompson did.

Mcnulty had 0 other D1 offers. No way can you consider him a bust. Anytime a player like that becomes a starter you can't consider him a bust. You consider or other recruiting and inability to get a better starter to be a bust, but not him.

• Upvote 1

Mcnulty had 0 other D1 offers. No way can you consider him a bust. Anytime a player like that becomes a starter you can't consider him a bust. You consider or other recruiting and inability to get a better starter to be a bust, but not him.

Yeah, 2 of our 3 starting QB's last year had zero other D1 (FBS) offers. Unusual recruiting tactics for the most important position on the field to say the least.

• Upvote 3