The Eyes Of The Mwc Are On Texas

DeepGreen

I can see Houston drawing interest but I not the "other" school mentioned for the Dallas/Ft Worth TV market.

This is likely speculation on the part of the Honolulu Star-Advertiser writer. I doubt that Craig Thompson gave any indication of who might be targeted. In fact, in a previous interview he denied that anyone has yet.

Remember the pecking order of conferences.

C-USA gets the most bowl bids of any non-BCS conference. Moving from the C-USA to Mountain West would be a step down...unless MWC has a plan to suddenly become a BCS conference.

while a move for Boise State gets them into a better conference, I would have expected Bosie State to go to a BCS conference. BSU is a good fit to replace Nebraska and Colorado in the Big 12 North...if the Big 12 survives.

Moreover, with Thompson and his C-USA counterpart, Britton Banowsky, talking about building a strategic alliance between the two conferences, membership changes between the two leagues would have to be handled gingerly.

...which makes UNT a safer choice than SMU, UH, or UTEP to add membership from Texas. It's a best of both worlds scenario where we deliver a large media market, large student body, new and better facilities than most, and a new student fee that will allow for some budget expansion without damaging the alliance proposed between the two conferences.

I'm sure they've considered UH, but I'm also sure UH has told them 'very unlikely'. Even if UH is not headed to the Big East, I don't see what would entice them away from CUSA. MWC has fewer bowls, less conference revenue (unless one of the schools can make it back into the BCS), less national exposure on TV, and they'd have to pay half a million to abandon a conference they co-founded. It's not impossible, just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The MWC's choices at this point pretty much are: San Jose State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Utah State, and North Texas. It'd be nice to hear arkstfan's thoughts; I can't imagine that any school would leave CUSA for the MWC unless they feel disconnected from the rest of the conference. Tulsa is the only school that could fit that description, but they're doing so well in CUSA that I doubt that as well.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

NODAK sez:

UNT in the MWC could potentially catapult the Mean Green above SMU's status, which is also unacceptable.

SMU has a major decision this month.

UNT is very likely gone from the Sunbelt regardless.

Thread from the Sun Belt board.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=473135

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Could the fact that North Texas was not even mentioned be because we are in the Belt?

Yes. The MWC media sees any CUSA West school as an expansion candidate, even though it's very doubtful that's the case. Because of our past few years in football and SBC affiliation, we're basically the 1:45 AM girl. It's 1:30, if the MWC wants to take someone back home from Texas, they're running out of options.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 2

Yes. The MWC media sees any CUSA West school as an expansion candidate, even though it's very doubtful that's the case. Because of our past few years in football and SBC affiliation, we're basically the 1:45 AM girl. It's 1:30, if the MWC wants to take someone back home from Texas, they're running out of options.

Don't care, don't care, don't care. Any way we get there is fine with me.

We just need to start rehearsing the 1:46 a.m. "I'm Pregnant" speech. This late night hook-up is going to LAST.

• Upvote 5

I'm sure they've considered UH, but I'm also sure UH has told them 'very unlikely'. Even if UH is not headed to the Big East, I don't see what would entice them away from CUSA. MWC has fewer bowls, less conference revenue (unless one of the schools can make it back into the BCS), less national exposure on TV, and they'd have to pay half a million to abandon a conference they co-founded. It's not impossible, just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The MWC's choices at this point pretty much are: San Jose State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Utah State, and North Texas. It'd be nice to hear arkstfan's thoughts; I can't imagine that any school would leave CUSA for the MWC unless they feel disconnected from the rest of the conference. Tulsa is the only school that could fit that description, but they're doing so well in CUSA that I doubt that as well.

Still one has to wonder which CUSA school may want to take the TCU example of removing themselves from a Southwest Conference-type consortium of schools (cusa) which they think may be holding them back from possible BCS Bowl Buster potential. TCU seemed to gain the advantage almost as soon as they were no longer part of a league which included SMU (and others similar).

Yet TCU started making their Big Time hay once they became a Texas collegiate football island unto themselves with no more traditional ties with schools they'd been with for about 80 plus years in some cases. Seems TCU's break-away from their former ties with CUSA is what some from UNT think might be best for us to move to the next level, a la TCU. We will need some outside help for this to happen which may be another reason to retain Chuck Neinas or someone like him with no emotional or degreed ties with North Texas; albeit there would be ties with North Texas's consultant coffers for certain. :rolleyes:

I fear the potential bonding between CUSA and the MWC may take all bets off the table for UNT, though.

If the 'Belt could just start getting some ranked football teams all this would be much easier to fathom as far as thinking there was some kind of upwardly bound future with the league we're presently already a part.

Interesting days ahead...

GMG!

Going into a conference held together by duct tape is different from joining a conference where most of the members have played against eachother at the D1 level for decades.

Oh, I agree and I promise that I am not trying to be an a-hole.

There was no reason for UNT to leave the Sun Belt for WAC2012. It is completely unstable, in jeopardy of losing its conference status, and the bowl situation looks like Marty McFly's family picture. However, two years ago when I was on this board, you guys were still vehemently opposed to the WAC. Even with the top-4 football schools and the renewed rivalry with NMSU, you still didn't want to touch it because media would suffer, late night games would be bad for the team, cost too much, multiple timezones.

What changed your mind?

Is it because the reputation is stronger top to bottom?

Because an East/West format would make divisional play would make it more affordable and span less timezones?

Is it the Mtn/Vs tv contract?

Lastly who would you want #12 to be and who would you want to be your travel partner?

SDSU / Hawaii

Fresno / Boise

UNR / UNLV

CSU / Wyo

NM / UNT

AF / ?

+1 rep, but I thought you guys didn't want to be in a Western conference

Two totally different scenarios...a 7-team league vs. a 12-team conference. Playing against better teams; larger crowds; championship game; and a bigger payout. It's hard to get excited about going to San Jose, Moscow and Logan to play before 15,000 (or less).

Oh, I agree and I promise that I am not trying to be an a-hole.

Never thought you were. :)

However, two years ago when I was on this board, you guys were still vehemently opposed to the WAC. Even with the top-4 football schools and the renewed rivalry with NMSU, you still didn't want to touch it because media would suffer, late night games would be bad for the team, cost too much, multiple timezones.

What changed your mind?

This is a bit different. The reason we originally turned down the WAC was because they refused to bring on two more SBC schools to build an eastern division. That would have meant sending all of our teams to California and Hawaii every year. With a 12 team MWC, if we were invited, we'd be part of an eastern division along with CSU, AFA, UNM, Wyoming, and ?. That also would give us at least three regional rivals (UNM, CSU, and AFA). I think UNM would turn into a good rivalry over the naming of our basketball arenas, and the first ever game in CSU's stadium was a loss to then NTSU.

Is it because the reputation is stronger top to bottom?

Because an East/West format would make divisional play would make it more affordable and span less timezones?

Is it the Mtn/Vs tv contract?

Yes, yes, and yes. The Mtn accommodated TCU's scheduling and allowed for no weeknight games. ESPN is obviously better for national exposure, but The Mtn is better for game day experience.

Lastly who would you want #12 to be and who would you want to be your travel partner?

In an ideal world, I'd like to bring Tulsa along. In reality, I think it will be Utah State.

All of this is very premature, but fun to talk about. Always have to add the asterisk at the end that I believe all of this depends on: MWC committing to 12 schools, committing to having a Texas presence, and existing CUSA West members declining.

In an ideal world, I'd like to bring Tulsa along.

In about 4 decades Tulsa has been a thorn in UNT's side in most all sports. I'm not sure we could beat them in darts or horse shoes.

The Golden Hurricane have been a tough customer for us to handle and I guess I need to be reminded the last time we beat them in football and how many X's the last 40 years that has happened? As a HS kid in the Houston area, I do remember seeing an ABC TV game against North Texas and Tulsa, but cannot remember how that one turned out, either.

In about 4 decades Tulsa has been a thorn in UNT's side in most all sports. I'm not sure we could beat them in darts or horse shoes.

The Golden Hurricane have been a tough customer for us to handle and I guess I need to be reminded the last time we beat them in football and how many X's the last 40 years that has happened? As a HS kid in the Houston area, I do remember seeing an ABC TV game against North Texas and Tulsa, but cannot remember how that one turned out, either.

We beat them in basketball both home and away four or five years ago. For football, it looks like the last time we beat them was 1969. :surrender:

+1 rep, but I thought you guys didn't want to be in a Western conference

A western conference is ok as long as its a good one.

What about hand grenades? I could probably track down a few.