New North Texas Uniforms

wardly

Its time for a new logo. Nike does a great job of marketing a school though its merchandise. Having North Texas or Mean Green on hats if fine but it would be nice to be like the other schools and just have a logo besides the diving eagle.

Now please forgive how crude these are, I sketched them very quickly.

Simple NT that can be outlined, shadowed, etc. I have seen similar ones on here that probably look better.

cimg2617f.jpg

Overlapping letters which I think look very nice, it would look good on UNT gear.

cimg2616u.jpg

This one I like the best. Very nice and would look excellent IMO.

cimg2614f.jpg

again forgive the crudeness I just wanted to see if anyone liked these.

Amateur sketches can go a long way like this one.....

leprechaun_sketch.jpg

• Upvote 1

SOW looks amazing, and has a classic (and classy) look to it. IMHO, it needs to be featured more. Otherwise, I agree that Nike should have some freedom. Even if you don't like the Oregon uniforms, you have to admit they have given the school tons of exposure, helped with merchandise sales, and helped with recruiting (players know they will be seen because of them).

• Upvote 2

SOW looks amazing, and has a classic (and classy) look to it. IMHO, it needs to be featured more. Otherwise, I agree that Nike should have some freedom. Even if you don't like the Oregon uniforms, you have to admit they have given the school tons of exposure, helped with merchandise sales, and helped with recruiting (players know they will be seen because of them).

Nevermind that Oregon is in the PAC-10(12)and is consistently in the top ten. That has nothing to do with it. It's all about those gawdawful unis. :rolleyes:

Nevermind that Oregon is in the PAC-10(12)and is consistently in the top ten. That has nothing to do with it. It's all about those gawdawful unis. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but they got good in the early 90s when Phil Knight and Nike made Oregon their unofficial team to support the most. That funding and the attention they have gotten from the Nike support really jump-started them to a place where they are today.

I hate Nike and when I become the czar of the NCAA, they will have no place at the table, but I recognize their power and influence. Its gigantic.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, but they got good in the early 90s when Phil Knight and Nike made Oregon their unofficial team to support the most. That funding and the attention they have gotten from the Nike support really jump-started them to a place where they are today.

I hate Nike and when I become the czar of the NCAA, they

will have no place at the table, but I recognize their power and influence. Its gigantic.

What he said.

• Upvote 1

And Ole Miss.

And Maryland.

And Tulsa.

And Oregon State.

And Cal.

And Florida.

Idaho too.

And Southern Miss... and Boise St... and I'm sure others. But for me, I still never liked the fact that we feel the need to spell out the school name on a football helmet.. At least with many of these, the spelling of the name is in a graphic form or part of a larger graphic instead of just letters.

I would *love* to see SOW on our helmets. Come to think of it - the more I see images of the old Worm, the more I like that graphic too :-)

wormhelmet.jpgscanlineeagle-white-100.png

I can understand peoples dislike of all black unis given what happened in the past.

However, black + green looks good, it just does. I hate our unis we have had the past few seasons, they're just bad.

Home=Green tops/ green pants black belt

Away=White tops green numbers/ green pants black belt black pant stripe

Alternate= Black tops/Black pants white belt green numbers/pant stripe

You guys are acting like putting black in to the combination somewhere is the same as having a uniform like Oregon's. It's not, lots of teams incorporate black in to their uniforms, and it would be awesome to have a blackout day on one of the games in the new stadium.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 7

I say North Texas should put the green back in "Mean Green."

Using Glory to the Green and White as a lil inspiration, I present my idea for North Texas' new football uniforms.

Base rules for the uniforms' design:

• The current shade of green had to remain. The old forest green doesn't show well on TV and incorporating multiple shades green wouldn't be recognized by people unfamiliar with the programs' history.
  • North Texas had to remain on the helmet. This has been a trend over the past decade and keeping North Texas on the helmet only helps to strengthen the brand recognition of the program and school.
  • Black is used only as an accent, not as a color equal to white or green. So much of the Dodge era was all white with black and green fighting it out for the #2 color. If anyone remembers the old secondary colors of "copper, black, and navy blue" in addition to the forest green and white, everything around the university seemed to have a palette of colors while green was an afterthought.

homecsc.pngawayy.png

Retaining white helmets: UNT's largest group of graduates has come from the Dodge era. Sticking to a helmet they are familiar with will help tie these alumni to the program. Although almost every other era of living alumni are use to green helmets, the familiar script logo helmets were used in as many seasons as the current white helmets.

All green home uniforms: UNT's second largest living alumni base was in school during the successful Dickey era and are familiar with the all green uniforms. While some may think it echoes to high school level style, collegiate teams like the Arizona Wildcats and South Carolina Gamecocks regularly match a one color uniform with their white helmet.

Away uniforms: In a better balance of UNT's colors, the white away jerseys would match perfectly with "Mean Green" pants. For the past few years, opposing teams couldn't even tell if they were playing the Mean Green or the "Mean White." Retaining the white helmets would also help to emphasis the school's colors, and create a familiar away uniform combination used by teams like the Nebraska Cornhuskers and Oklahoma State Cowboys.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

However, black + green looks good, it just does.

However, thinking black + green looks good, is your opinion, it just is.

No to black as a dominant color, only use it as an accent. The best example I can come up with from Nike that I like would be the current Florida uniforms. Create these with a green and white color scheme and they might have something.

I think the bright kelly green of the current uniforms (and on clothing) really pops in combination with Black, but this is all so subjective. Here's what I'd do if I were making the uniform decisions -

A green Jersey with white and black accents and a white jersey with green and black accents. Despite the fact that people say we look "High School" (and we don't because of our uniforms) I really don't have anything against the current Jersey -

...then have one of each color pant, Green, Black and White with the appropriate accent colors. This way we change up the look a bit and most everyone will be happy with at least one uniform combination. (except those who want no black, no matter what, even though black accents are present in the current official and approved logos and color scheme)

...I hated the white helmet when it first came out, but it has grown on me. ..and the official "North Texas" logo doesn't bother me too much, but if we're going to use words on the helmet, I'd rather see us using "Mean Green" instead of "North Texas". The SOW would be my first choice on the helmet however. I'd like a green that matches the bright kelly green (with silver metal flake, not bass boat metallic, but car paint metallic), but would be perfectly happy with the white if we'd add some pearl to the finish or something to make it pop a bit. Pearl with a tick of green flake would make the helmet pop and be VERY unique. (...can you tell I own a custom car shop? Maybe we can ghost in the SOW logo...)

I always liked the interlocking NT, but it isn't an official UNT logo, and I think we don't need to be introducing ANYTHING new in terms of logo or colors. Play on the theme, but don't change the theme.

• Upvote 2

I say North Texas should put the green back in "Mean Green."

Using Glory to the Green and White as a lil inspiration, I present my idea for North Texas' new football uniforms.

Base rules for the uniforms' design:

• The current shade of green had to remain. The old forest green doesn't show well on TV and incorporating multiple shades green wouldn't be recognized by people unfamiliar with the programs' history.
  • North Texas had to remain on the helmet. This has been a trend over the past decade and keeping North Texas on the helmet only helps to strengthen the brand recognition of the program and school.
  • Black is used only as an accent, not as a color equal to white or green. So much of the Dodge era was all white with black and green fighting it out for the #2 color. If anyone remembers the old secondary colors of "copper, black, and navy blue" in addition to the forest green and white, everything around the university seemed to have a palette of colors while green was an afterthought.

Retaining white helmets: UNT's largest group of graduates has come from the Dodge era. Sticking to a helmet they are familiar with will help tie these alumni to the program. Although almost every other era of living alumni are use to green helmets, the familiar script logo helmets were used in as many seasons as the current white helmets.

All green home uniforms: UNT's second largest living alumni base was in school during the successful Dickey era and are familiar with the all green uniforms. While some may think it echoes to high school level style, collegiate teams like the Arizona Wildcats and South Carolina Gamecocks regularly match a one color uniform with their white helmet.

Away uniforms: In a better balance of UNT's colors, the white away jerseys would match perfectly with "Mean Green" pants. For the past few years, opposing teams couldn't even tell if they were playing the Mean Green or the "Mean White." Retaining the white helmets would also help to emphasis the school's colors, and create a familiar away uniform combination used by teams like the Nebraska Cornhuskers and Oklahoma State Cowboys.

Like the design. Still think there needs to be a little more white on the all greens. Could be something as simple as thicker white piping or a white stripe on the cuff. Maybe just a white belt. Nothing big.

I prefer sticking with a white helmet as well. One thing I'd like to see (from anyone) is the wing portion ripped off of the SOW logo, angled a bit back counterclockwise, and put on the side of the helmet. The angle of the swooping eagle just doesn't work with the helmets, and I've tried the other logos to no avail. This would be something similar to the ram horn or the eagle wing (Philly) or old Rice helmets, but it's still a unique wing.

I think the bright kelly green of the current uniforms (and on clothing) really pops in combination with Black, but this is all so subjective. Here's what I'd do if I were making the uniform decisions -

A green Jersey with white and black accents and a white jersey with green and black accents. Despite the fact that people say we look "High School" (and we don't because of our uniforms) I really don't have anything against the current Jersey -

...then have one of each color pant, Green, Black and White with the appropriate accent colors. This way we change up the look a bit and most everyone will be happy with at least one uniform combination. (except those who want no black, no matter what, even though black accents are present in the current official and approved logos and color scheme)

...I hated the white helmet when it first came out, but it has grown on me. ..and the official "North Texas" logo doesn't bother me too much, but if we're going to use words on the helmet, I'd rather see us using "Mean Green" instead of "North Texas". The SOW would be my first choice on the helmet however. I'd like a green that matches the bright kelly green (with silver metal flake, not bass boat metallic, but car paint metallic), but would be perfectly happy with the white if we'd add some pearl to the finish or something to make it pop a bit. Pearl with a tick of green flake would make the helmet pop and be VERY unique. (...can you tell I own a custom car shop? Maybe we can ghost in the SOW logo...)

I always liked the interlocking NT, but it isn't an official UNT logo, and I think we don't need to be introducing ANYTHING new in terms of logo or colors. Play on the theme, but don't change the theme.

It wasn't chosen by the design committee but it's official with the Letterman's Association and the Alumni Association.

I'd love to see it (superimposed NT) on the helmet, and if not that use SOW. We already have NORTH TEXAS on the jersey above the number and I hope that we keep that.

I don't like all green or much, if any, black but could consider black highlighting.