Next Head Coach?

texas51

Kragthorpe had some very disparaging words about North Texas (on TV to boot) when asked if he'd be interested in our job before and old fart$ like me don't forget those kind of things when said about our alma mater. :whip::rolleyes:

SUMG (if he reads this) may want to elaborate on Kragthorpe; then again, he may not want to elaborate on Kragthorpe.

GMG!

No to Kragthorpe. I don't remember what he said, but I do remember some disparaging remarks were made. Screw him.

Edited by DeepGreen

So far we have:

Trooper Taylor - Auburn Asst.

Chris Thomsen - Abilene Christian HC

Steve Kragthorpe - Former Louisville & Tulsa HC

Jeff Bower - Former S.Mississippi HC

Major Applewhite - Texas Asst.

Bill Callahan - Former Nebrask HC

Tommy Bowden - Former Clemson HC

Phillip Fulmer - Former Tennessee HC

• Upvote 1

So far we have:

:pirate:

If North Texas hires a new coach, I'd like to see us hire a coach with significant FBS experience who would have instant media credibility by virtue of his past jobs. If UTSA could get Larry Coker, SMU June Jones, UCF George O'Leary and Ohio Frank Solich, perhaps UNT could get a Bill Callahan, Tommy Bowden or Phillip Fulmer. That new stadium and the Dallas media market are nice carrots.

Not a chance on any of those three. Let us be realistic here. Our alumni are not going to "pony up" $2 mil.

I hope some of you come down from the clouds and realize why Dodge was the choice in the first place.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If we could afford more than $300k a year, Dodge wouldn't have been hired.

Welcome to reality. Please don't be delusional and believe a student fee is going to bring in enough cash to bring in a high profile guy.

Edited by Cr1028

I hope some of you come down from the clouds and realize why Dodge was the choice in the first place.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Welcome to reality. Please don't be delusional and believe a student fee is going to bring in enough cash to bring in a high profile guy.

Good point. That's why organizations like the ATM Foundation presents the aggie athletic department a $1 million+ check at halftime. Helps pay for those types of head coaches.

UNT alumni on the other hand..........What was the last MG Club count this year? I'll check the Rice - UNT game program.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1

In a dingy, dimly-lit, old coach's office somewhere in New Mexico, a diabetic, former college QB and bowl-winning former FBS HC takes a break from watching game film (on a 50" plasma TV with curious ID engravings scratched out) of his 0-2 squad just long enough to read a few posts on GMG and laugh at all of us MFers.

In a dingy, dimly-lit, old coach's office somewhere in New Mexico, a diabetic, former college QB and bowl-winning former FBS HC takes a break from watching game film (on a 50" plasma TV with curious ID engravings scratched out) of his 0-2 squad just long enough to read a few posts on GMG and laugh at all of us MFers.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have Dickey back with a new stadium, and then I remember his specialty was the "Jumbo Sack" from "Eight in the Box".

Updated List:

Unrealistic:

Mike Leach - Former Texas Tech. HC

Iffy:

Realistic:

Edited by texas51
  • Upvote 1

Not a chance on any of those three. Let us be realistic here. Our alumni are not going to "pony up" $2 mil.

If Dabo Swinney is only getting $800,000 to coach Clemson, why would you assume that Tommy Bowden or the other coaches I named will require $2 million? I think we overestimate what some of these coaches would require. A few of them are still in demand enough to draw salaries and schools beyond UNT's reach. But some others might be more available than you think. Who would have predicted Larry Coker would take UTSA?

Edited by rcade

Updated List:

Unrealistic:

Mike Leach - Former Texas Tech. HC

Iffy:

Realistic:

Aint nothin wrong with a thread that isn't started by an beaten-down fan. Especially one that doesn't use quotes incorrectly. (oh man that bothers me so).

Let's leave Bill Callahan off the hypothetical list. Dude ruined Nebraska. They had to resurrect Tom Osborne to run him out of town. I'd like a name like Major Applewhite. Don't know if he is ready to coach though. He did a decent enough job at 'Bama and Rice as OC though. I love me some Leach but that is definitely reaching for our broke asses.

It'll probably be those 'realistic guys' whom I don't recognize. Really, I don't mind being used as a stepping stone for some coach on the rise, at this lowly point.

True, but if UTSA could open with Larry Coker there's no reason to assume UNT has to settle for high school coaches and obscure FBS assistants. There are only around 120 head coaching jobs in FBS college football. A big name who is tired of being out of the game might look at the new stadium and the softness of the Sun Belt and think he could do something in Denton.

• Upvote 1

He did an incredible job with the Jets last year as OC.

I think the guy is a good OC. Just not a good Head Coach. He didn't do a great job as Raiders coach. That SB team was A) a veteran team and B ) still Gruden's team.

He has one of those standoffish personalities, too and that crap don't get you too many friends. I mean, look at Charlie Weis compared to Pete Carroll.

Also, I think he coaches O-Line. Kid Shottenheimer runs the offense.

Edited by aztecskin