To: Rick V

EagleGreen

Thank you EagleGreen. If it cost me my dignity, if it cost me my pride, if it cost me my standing with those in power than so be it. I yelled as loud as I could because I wanted everyone to hear! Not for me. But for UNT! For the players, the students and alumni. I gave it everything I could last Saturday night. And yes, I understand the consequences. I may be old but time is running out for all of us. We need to play today as if there is no tomorrow. And that means the coaches need to communicate, eye to eye with each and every individual that wears the green and white. If its not important, if it really means nothing, then what the hell are we all doing?

You yelled at a football game -- get over yourself. It meant nothing except gossip fodder for a bunch of old men on a message board looking to distract themselves from what happened on the field. If things break really well, you might get some rude stares and a few extra eyes on you at the next game.

You're the equivalent of a PETA supporter throwing blood on an old woman at a charity gala. That said, I wouldn't trade your message board presence for anything.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I love RV! His passion rivals only those of us on this board. Lay off of him.

Agree. Give me a passionate AD that makes mistakes over an apathetic one any day. Sometimes you have to take a risk, especially when you don't have UT-like money to throw around on known quantities. Thanks for all the hard work Rick.

If UNT is going to move up, they are going to have to ante up the bucks and get a serious coach....sometimes you get what you pay for...in the case of TD we didn't even get that !

True, sometimes you get what you paid for. But, sometimes you find a gold mine. A coach like Don Carthel may have been a choice 3 years ago. But, a coach like that is still a risk, especially when it comes to the recruiting base.

The fact is, we can all bitch like hell about finding a top-notch, proven coach with strong recruiting ties. But, until the alumni in the DFW area start "Ponying up", UNT just won't have the resources. I was stunned to recently find out my relatively high spot on the donor list, considering the fact that I don't consider myself a high end donor.

TD was a feast or famine hire. It was a risk, with a huge potential upside due to his high school ties. At that time, most of us (but not all) here were excited about the hire. With the clock ticking down, I still hope that Todd can turn it around. Yeah, the coaching staff makes me want to pull my hair out a lot of the time. But, our best hope of turning this thing around quickly is leading our team on the field right now.

Just MHO.

And please team, beat ULL at the next home game. My kids are just dying to see the fireworks again ;)

You yelled at a football game -- get over yourself. It meant nothing except gossip fodder for a bunch of old men on a message board looking to distract themselves from what happened on the field. If things break really well, you might get some rude stares and a few extra eyes on you at the next game.

You're the equivalent of a PETA supporter throwing blood on an old woman at a charity gala. That said, I wouldn't trade your message board presence for anything.

And I love you too!

I doubt it took Bob yelling at TD to get RV's attention. The only thing it did was pi$$ RV off at a time when he was already pi$$ed off. The alumni side was very quite at that time and it only served as a spectacle to hear what was said. Let's be clear. I don't disagree with what was said. I think it is painfully obvious that TD has failed in the most important category of all and that is in the win loss column. I am not saying that the game is not the place to yell. I am saying that in hind sight yelling there didn't serve the purpose that I think was intended(unless the purpose was shock value, then touche). We need all the passionate fans we can get around here and I appreciate that Bob was fired up but I will continue to disagree with the method of delivery.

On a 2nd note, if RV got mad at the comments on Saturday how in the world would he hope to handle a more high profile job where Saturday would seem like a walk in the park. You can't lose your cool regardless of what is said.

• Upvote 1

I doubt it took Bob yelling at TD to get RV's attention. The only thing it did was pi$$ RV off at a time when he was already pi$$ed off. The alumni side was very quite at that time and it only served as a spectacle to hear what was said. Let's be clear. I don't disagree with what was said. I think it is painfully obvious that TD has failed in the most important category of all and that is in the win loss column. I am not saying that the game is not the place to yell. I am saying that in hind sight yelling there didn't serve the purpose that I think was intended(unless the purpose was shock value, then touche). We need all the passionate fans we can get around here and I appreciate that Bob was fired up but I will continue to disagree with the method of delivery.

On a 2nd note, if RV got mad at the comments on Saturday how in the world would he hope to handle a more high profile job where Saturday would seem like a walk in the park. You can't lose your cool regardless of what is said.

Please understand that I am not anti-Dodge. I would love nothing more than to witness Coach Dodge become our Joe Paterno. I want him to succeed at UNT!

My complaint wasn't against Coach Dodge last Saturday night. It was meant to be directed towards the offensive coordinator. Our guys should have been so well rehersed when they ran onto the field facing 1st and 10 from their own 2 yard line, late in the game and nursing a lead, albeit small, that they should have had a grin on their faces. We had 98 yards of open green and choose to run the ball, what 3 times. We didn't try to win. We tried not to lose and we lost! We were not well coached in situational probabilities. Bad coaching from Mr.C. He failed to prepare our kids for this scenario. This is when the game was lost. It wasn't Coach Dodge's fault.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Don't compare coaching a game to our work-a-day jobs. Do you have 23,000 critics second guessing your every move at your job? Does your job depend on you appeasing 23,000 fans by producing in a game where 1 person succeeds and one person fails? Newsflash - Most of our jobs are not zero-sum scenarios.

There are very few lines that can be drawn between coaching games and working our everyday jobs. The lines that can be drawn have been written about in books, and it usually has to do with motivation. The argument you put forth is never mentioned, and flimsy at best.

The comment about people losing their jobs and houses is real, and a gross over dramatization to attempt to get your point across that it's almost insulting.

That's not exactly true. Some have jobs that, if we screw up, could cause losses of hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to businesses as well as loss to their reputation, if not the complete business itself.

It's not the number of people depending on you, it's the value of what you are leading or protecting. Todd Dodge is leading the most high profile part of a school. Unless you are an Ivy League school, most people know you by your athletics.

Does anyone really give a crap that Aggies at Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Auburn, or Kansas State bail hay? Can they tell you how their livestock judging teams are doing, since those will be the people, in the future, who do the important job of making sure good food gets on our plates?

Hell no. What people know is whether or not their football team sucks. No one comes back with, 'Yeah, but A&M's track team is two-time defending national champions' because no one knows or cares. It's not what brings the cash into the university.

Football is the cash cow, if there is going to be one at a college outside what is begged and thieved off of the taxpayers by "academics." Todd Dodge is the leader of what we have as our potential cash cow and calling card. And, he's now 5-33 at it.

Look, I've jumped on board this thing, but I can tell you that after two games, the ride isn't less bumpy. This team has a ways to go. I was naive to think Rice wouldn't get close to us. We're deeper in a hole than I ever envisioned. And, believe me, I can envision pretty deep.

Coaching is the thing. If this thing craters to 2-10 again, we are absolutely cooked. We lose practically our whole offensive line to graduation and many key players all around the rest of the two-deep. This is important, and it's important now.

It's too important to be f-ing around with Wildcat formations 90 yards away from the end zone late in games, blocked kicks, and the like. We're four years into this thing and we're still being stopped in short yardage and still playing chinese fire drill on special teams.

Folks, that's coaching. I expected things to be different with Mike Canales, and they have been to a degree. But, if this thing slips to 0-4, we've got major problems for 2010 and 2011. That's just reality.

• Upvote 1

Please understand that I am not anti-Dodge. I would love nothing more than to witness Coach Dodge become our Joe Paterno. I want him to succeed at UNT!

My complaint wasn't against Coach Dodge last Saturday night. It was meant to be directed towards the offensive coordinator. Our guys should have been so well rehersed when they ran onto the field facing 1st and 10 from their own 2 yard line, late in the game and nursing a lead, albeit small, that they should have had a grin on their faces. We had 98 yards of open green and choose to run the ball, what 3 times. We didn't try to win. We tried not to lose and we lost! We were not well coached in situational probabilities. Bad coaching from Mr.C. He failed to prepare our kids for this scenario. This is when the game was lost. It wasn't Coach Dodge's fault.

This raises a question that I had on saturday after some of the questionable calls. I know TD said before the season that he was turning the offense over to Canales. I also know that TD is the boss so I wonder how often, if at all, he overrides Chico's plays before they signal them in. Whomever called the consecutive wildcats from the two was playing to get more room for the punt. He was not playing for a first down and that is just sad. Nobody in the stands was fooled, let alone the Rice coaching staff.

I will also give credit where credit is due. That was a ball$y call to go for it on 4th and goal. It was also a great call on the shovel pass on the same play.

Thank you EagleGreen. If it cost me my dignity, if it cost me my pride, if it cost me my standing with those in power than so be it. I yelled as loud as I could because I wanted everyone to hear! Not for me. But for UNT! For the players, the students and alumni. I gave it everything I could last Saturday night. And yes, I understand the consequences. I may be old but time is running out for all of us. We need to play today as if there is no tomorrow. And that means the coaches need to communicate, eye to eye with each and every individual that wears the green and white. If its not important, if it really means nothing, then what the hell are we all doing?

you are a nut case that embarassed the whole section and now the whole fanbase. i would spit in your direction too if i was rv. grow up little child. :baby:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

you are a nut case that embarassed the whole section and now the whole fanbase. i would spit in your direction too if i was rv. grow up little child. :baby:

Wow. Everyone makes rash decisions that they feel embarrassed about. I guess that is the point, bob doesn't seem to care about his decision. This is still a harsh public lambasting.

• Upvote 1

Speak for yourself. If RV can't handle a fan's opinion of the sorry-ass product he's put on display at Fouts, he should find another line of work.

Bob didn't embarrass me by yelling about poor coaching to the person who thought we needed another high school coach to run a college program. He was telling the truth.

Fun fact: Since 1980, only three high school coaches have been hired to run Division I-A (now FBS) schools. Two of them were at North Texas -- Dennis Parker and Dodge. RV bet the bank on a non-traditional hire and he busted.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 4

Speak for yourself. If RV can't handle a fan's opinion of the sorry-ass product he's put on display at Fouts, he should find another line of work.

Bob didn't embarrass me by yelling about poor coaching to the person who thought we needed another high school coach to run a college program. He was telling the truth.

Fun fact: Since 1980, only three high school coaches have been hired to run Division I-A (now FBS) schools. Two of them were at North Texas -- Dennis Parker and Dodge. RV bet the bank on a non-traditional hire and he busted.

If I'd been standing anywhere nearby, I would have complained to security and ask for him to be removed.

But I sit in section E where I have since 94 and I not only didn't see or hear him, I don't know who he is. If he behaves like an adult for the rest of the year, no problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i hope rv sues you for defamation and slander. :thumbsup:

RV is a public figure and the post was not meant to demean RV, but to show how ridiculous the post that was being lampooned was. Besides, wouldn't it be libel, not slander? I'd say the case would be thrown out with a laugh.

Thanks for playing.

Edited by CMJ

If I'd been standing anywhere nearby, I would have complained to security and ask for him to be removed.

But I sit in section E where I have since 94 and I not only didn't see or hear him, I don't know who he is. If he behaves like an adult for the rest of the year, no problem.

So what you're saying is that you would have called security and had them remove me from the stadium even though the game was over and we were all on our way out. Ok, I can dig that. Makes sense to me.

Acting like an adult. Define that please. But please no political correctness.

• Upvote 2

So what you're saying is that you would have called security and had them remove me from the stadium even though the game was over and we were all on our way out. Ok, I can dig that. Makes sense to me.

Acting like an adult. Define that please. But please no political correctness.

Dude... I wasn't at the game, as I'm sure some here weren't or were in earshot... enlighten us please with what you said;

don't think anyone will be offended if you write it in all caps... you know, for effect.

Edited by Primo
  • Upvote 1

You left out helmet stickers.

Or cheerleaders doing the TTU sign, or using the PA system.

I'd gladly take $250,000 to do my job where EVERY person I come in contact with has an opinion...and they all know how to do it better.

We already got that job, minus the $250K of course. :lol:

TD is the man for 2010.

Tony Dungee? Heck yea, Im on board.

So far you are undefeated. That's a pretty good record. B)

Sorry in advance if that is taken as flippant - not meant to be.

One of the few jobs you gotta be undefeated.

The game isn't the proper place to yell about the game? Hilarious.

No, the board is.