To: Rick V

EagleGreen

Emmitt,

I wouldn't compare what you do to a game. But if that's how you treat it, I can't argue with that. At the risk of derailing this thread further, I've always wanted to know how an individuals production is measured in your line of work?

Going home at the end of your shift. That's my standard.

And, when are mistakes just mistakes? I saw a LOT of mistakes made by Rice last night too. We just made a couple of more mistakes in crucial situations. I saw a talented team out there giving it their all. The coaches are doing a good job. We all want to win, even Dodge.

Of course we all want to win, even Dodge. My goodness, even the stock broker wants to win. The lawyer, the Dentist, the Politician and on and on. Doesn't mean they will. Doesn't mean they don't have the desire to win. They may not have the ability or talent to win!

Edited by meangreenbob

And, when are mistakes just mistakes? I saw a LOT of mistakes made by Rice last night too. We just made a couple of more mistakes in crucial situations. I saw a talented team out there giving it their all. The coaches are doing a good job. We all want to win, even Dodge.

I don't think there is a person here that would ever question Dodge's desire to win, and in fact he may want to win more than any other person associated with UNT, it is really silly even to say. The question that you seem to be wrongly answering is can Dodge win at UNT and it looks like that answer is not a chance in hell. He really needs a miracle.

If the coaches were doing a good job we would be winning.

Edited by KingDL1

Oh really? You must be one of those persons making over 250,000 dollars a year, right?

Who the hell is forcing anyone to coach? Can they make that kind of income out there on the job market? Who the hell is pointing a gun to their head telling them they will coach or else? Do you even realize how stupid you sound?

Of course I make over $250,000. Who doesn't these days?

I didn't say he was being forced to coach. And Todd Dodge probably can't make that income doing anything other than coaching. I'd trade jobs with him in a heart beat. Of course no one is holding a gun to his head and no one is holding a gun to yours or mine to go to work. That's a stupid statement and again, overly dramatic.

His record flat out sucks, and it likely won't get any better. In a world where there is always a winner and always a loser - his record is awful. It tells us that he is overpaid. My point is, for many of us to win at our jobs there isn't always a loser, such as in football.

Of course I make over $250,000. Who doesn't these days?

I didn't say he was being forced to coach. And Todd Dodge probably can't make that income doing anything other than coaching. I'd trade jobs with him in a heart beat. Of course no one is holding a gun to his head and no one is holding a gun to yours or mine to go to work. That's a stupid statement and again, overly dramatic.

His record flat out sucks, and it likely won't get any better. In a world where there is always a winner and always a loser - his record is awful. It tells us that he is overpaid. My point is, for many of us to win at our jobs there isn't always a loser, such as in football.

OH, ok. Sorry, my bad. Ha ha ha.

Dear EagleGreen,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the future course of North Texas football. It's been my experience that published "open letters" don't usually have much usable or reliable information and are often written by people who see themselves as smarter than they really are. I must admit that when I first read your open letter to me, my reaction was along the lines of "arrogant ... self-important ... " and so forth, but then I said, "Whoa, Rick, take a breath; this guy might have something to contribute." So I re-read your letter and realized that you had seen some things that I just hadn't seen. I guess I was just too close to the situation to understand the gravity of it, since this one question of what to do about the football team is the only thing that dominates my every waking moment and keeps me awake at night. Because of my preoccupation with it, I just hadn't had time to put it perspective the way you did.

I'd like you to know that I haven't been idle since I read your letter and all those postings from others, many of whom are demanding that I hire a particular currently unemployed coach. In fact, I buttonholed President Rawlins after the game and talked it over with him, and we agreed on what to do next. So early this morning I made a few phone calls and got Mike's phone number down there in Key West. I called the house and got Sharon on the phone. "Just a second," she said. "He's out the back yard spray painting the patio furniture." She was quiet a moment and added softly, as if to herself, "again." I got the feeling she wanted to say more. I heard her call out the back door. "Coach," she said. "It's Rick."

He got on the phone. "Hey," he said. "Tough going last night. I saw the game film from Rice last year, and man, you guys stunk on ice. I wathced your game online last night, and this year you look lots, lots better. Looks like many of the stats went your way. Too bad about your quarterback. That kid has heart. This is the kind of game that could have gone either way, and sometimes you do it right, and sometimes you make mistakes, but there's no shame in having worked hard even if you come up second by just one point. I hope you let your kids know that."

We were both silent a moment before we simultaneously burst into laughter. "Man, what a bunch of losers!" Mike chortled. "That was awful! Lost by one point or a hundred points, it's all the same. Pathetic! Pathetic! Your players and coaches ought to be ashamed. They ought to have people point and them and whisper, 'There go the pansies who don't want to win!"

"I agree," I told him. "That's why I called. I'm checking on your, um, availability. Of course, I gotta ask first about that, uh, incident."

"Yeah," he said. "Look, I won't deny that I didn't like that kid and his pansy daddy. But here's what was really going on. I needed to send a message to every other mollycoddled baby on my team that I didn't want them whining to the team doc about concussions. Concussion? What's that? Somebody rang your bell. So? Hell, Red Grange played with a leather helmet. You didn't hear him crying to his mommy, 'Ooh, my head hurts.' Now the NCAA and the NFL and the association of woosified brain surgeons or whatever it is want to outlaw big hits. Helmet-blocking used to be awesome. Clotheslines. You know anybody who ever died from a clothesline? You allow clotheslines again and every freakin' highlight reel will be nothing but clotheslines. 'BOOM! CLOTHESLINE!' Next they'll require us to serve tea and cookies instead of Gatorade. You with me?"

"All the way," I said. "I'm a firm believer in denying the extensive and compelling medical proof of the risk of lifelong brain injury -- especially if it happens to a snotty kid with an obnoxious dad! It makes it so much more -- what's the word? -- satisfying!"

"A-freakin'-men!" he said.

"But there is this one thing," I said. "When the AD and the president and chancellor told you to sign a letter promising not to abuse your players, you refused, right?"

"Absolutely," Mike said. "Who the hell did they think they were? They weren't the boss of me!"

"Well," I said, a little confused, "actually, I think they were the boss of you. And if we hired you, it would need to be clear that I'd be the boss of you."

"YOU!" he yelled. "Who the hell do you think you are? Do you know who I am? I'M CAPTAIN JACK FREAKIN' SPARROW! I'M REDBEARD AND BLACKBEARD AND BLUEBEARD AND EVERY DAMN FREAKIN' COLOR BEARD THERE IS, AND DON'T YOU EVER, EVER FORGET IT!"

Well, as you can imagine, that sealed it for me. I resolved to raise millions of dollars for Mike's salary and to put him in the head coach's seat as soon as possible.

EagleGreen, I'd like to have a chance to consult with you in person to go over what I've done so far and to ask your advice on how to proceed . Tomorrow's a pretty busy day for me. I've got a 7 a.m. meeting with the coaching staff to fire them all. Then at 8 I'm meeting with the team to tell them that based on the feelings of many of the online fans, we're going to forfeit the rest of the season and just try again last year in the new place. I'll tell them that the stuff they might have heard about persevering through adversity and sticking to your mission and honorably striving on even when the world seems to be against you is just pathetic loser talk. We'll still let them keep their scholarships, so they shouldn't care if we just give up now. Then at 10:30 I'm meeting with President Rawlins again, this time to craft the news release. I'd like to show you the draft before we issue it so I can make sure we've struck the right tone.

Perhaps we could meet for lunch in the Victory Hall cafeteria. My treat. Many of the players will probably be eating there, too. I think they'd like to get your perspective on things.

Again, thanks for opening my eyes.

RV

Welcome to the Hall of Fame, sir. :clapping:

Dear EagleGreen,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the future course of North Texas football. It's been my experience that published "open letters" don't usually have much usable or reliable information and are often written by people who see themselves as smarter than they really are. I must admit that when I first read your open letter to me, my reaction was along the lines of "arrogant ... self-important ... " and so forth, but then I said, "Whoa, Rick, take a breath; this guy might have something to contribute." So I re-read your letter and realized that you had seen some things that I just hadn't seen. I guess I was just too close to the situation to understand the gravity of it, since this one question of what to do about the football team is the only thing that dominates my every waking moment and keeps me awake at night. Because of my preoccupation with it, I just hadn't had time to put it perspective the way you did.

I'd like you to know that I haven't been idle since I read your letter and all those postings from others, many of whom are demanding that I hire a particular currently unemployed coach. In fact, I buttonholed President Rawlins after the game and talked it over with him, and we agreed on what to do next. So early this morning I made a few phone calls and got Mike's phone number down there in Key West. I called the house and got Sharon on the phone. "Just a second," she said. "He's out in the back yard spray painting the patio furniture." She was quiet a moment and added softly, as if to herself, "again." I got the feeling she wanted to say more. I heard her call out the back door. "Coach," she said. "It's Rick."

He got on the phone. "Hey," he said. "Tough going last night. I saw the game film from Rice last year, and man, you guys stunk on ice. I watched your game online last night, and this year you look lots, lots better. Looks like many of the stats went your way. Too bad about your quarterback. That kid has heart. This is the kind of game that could have gone either way, and sometimes you do it right, and sometimes you make mistakes, but there's no shame in having worked hard even if you come up second by just one point. I hope you let your kids know that."

We were both silent a moment before we simultaneously burst into laughter. "Man, what a bunch of losers!" Mike chortled. "That was awful! Lost by one point or a hundred points, it's all the same. Pathetic! Pathetic! Your players and coaches ought to be ashamed. They ought to have people point at them and whisper, 'There go the pansies who don't want to win!'"

"I agree," I told him. "That's why I called. I'm checking on your, um, availability. Of course, I gotta ask first about that, uh, incident."

"Yeah," he said. "Look, I won't deny that I didn't like that kid and his pansy daddy. But here's what was really going on. I needed to send a message to every other mollycoddled baby on my team that I didn't want them whining to the team doc about concussions. Concussion? What's that? Somebody rang your bell. So? Hell, Red Grange played with a leather helmet. You didn't hear him crying to his mommy, 'Ooh, my head hurts.' Now the NCAA and the NFL and the association of woosified brain surgeons or whatever it is want to outlaw big hits. Helmet-blocking used to be awesome. Clotheslines. You know anybody who ever died from a clothesline? You allow clotheslines again and every freakin' highlight reel will be nothing but clotheslines. 'BOOM! CLOTHESLINE!' Next they'll require us to serve tea and cookies instead of Gatorade. You with me?"

"All the way," I said. "I'm a firm believer in denying the extensive and compelling medical proof of the risk of lifelong brain injury -- especially if it happens to a snotty kid with an obnoxious dad! It makes it so much more -- what's the word? -- satisfying!"

"But there is this one thing," I said. "When the AD and the president and chancellor told you to sign a letter promising not to abuse your players, you refused, right?"

"Absolutely," Mike said. "Who the hell did they think they were? They weren't the boss of me!"

"Well," I said, a little confused, "actually, I think they were the boss of you. And if we hired you, it would need to be clear that I'd be the boss of you."

"YOU!" he yelled. "Who the hell do you think you are? Do you know who I am? I'M CAPTAIN JACK FREAKIN' SPARROW! I'M REDBEARD AND BLACKBEARD AND BLUEBEARD AND EVERY DAMN FREAKIN' COLOR BEARD THERE IS, AND DON'T YOU EVER, EVER FORGET IT!"

Well, as you can imagine, that sealed it for me. I resolved to raise millions of dollars for Mike's salary and to put him in the head coach's seat as soon as possible.

EagleGreen, I'd like to have a chance to consult with you in person to go over what I've done so far and to ask your advice on how to proceed . Tomorrow's a pretty busy day for me. I've got a 7 a.m. meeting with the coaching staff to fire them all. Then at 8 I'm meeting with the team to tell them that based on the feelings of many of the online fans, we're going to forfeit the rest of the season and just try again next year in the new place. I'll tell them that the stuff they might have heard about persevering through adversity and sticking to your mission and honorably striving on even when the world seems to be against you is just pathetic loser talk. We'll still let them keep their scholarships, so they shouldn't care if we just give up now. Then at 10:30 I'm meeting with President Rawlins again, this time to craft the news release. I'd like to show you the draft before we issue it so I can make sure we've struck the right tone.

Perhaps we could meet for lunch in the Victory Hall cafeteria. My treat. Many of the players will probably be eating there, too. I think they'd like to get your perspective on things.

RV

Funny.

To Rick V:

What a surprise it was, running into you today.

After so many years, and in such an unusual place--my dresser drawer.

But, since you're nothing more now than a name scribbled on a high school play program, I threw you away to make more room for underwear.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Dear EagleGreen,

I'd like you to know that I haven't been idle since I read your letter and all those postings from others, many of whom are demanding that I hire a particular currently unemployed coach. In fact, I buttonholed President Rawlins after the game and talked it over with him, and we agreed on what to do next. So early this morning I made a few phone calls and got Mike's phone number down there in Key West. I called the house and got Sharon on the phone. "Just a second," she said. "He's out in the back yard spray painting the patio furniture." She was quiet a moment and added softly, as if to herself, "again." I got the feeling she wanted to say more. I heard her call out the back door. "Coach," she said. "It's Rick."

He got on the phone. "Hey," he said. "Tough going last night. I saw the game film from Rice last year, and man, you guys stunk on ice. I watched your game online last night, and this year you look lots, lots better. Looks like many of the stats went your way. Too bad about your quarterback. That kid has heart. This is the kind of game that could have gone either way, and sometimes you do it right, and sometimes you make mistakes, but there's no shame in having worked hard even if you come up second by just one point. I hope you let your kids know that."

We were both silent a moment before we simultaneously burst into laughter. "Man, what a bunch of losers!" Mike chortled. "That was awful! Lost by one point or a hundred points, it's all the same. Pathetic! Pathetic! Your players and coaches ought to be ashamed. They ought to have people point at them and whisper, 'There go the pansies who don't want to win!'"

EagleGreen, I'd like to have a chance to consult with you in person to go over what I've done so far and to ask your advice on how to proceed . Tomorrow's a pretty busy day for me. I've got a 7 a.m. meeting with the coaching staff to fire them all. Then at 8 I'm meeting with the team to tell them that based on the feelings of many of the online fans, we're going to forfeit the rest of the season and just try again next year in the new place. I'll tell them that the stuff they might have heard about persevering through adversity and sticking to your mission and honorably striving on even when the world seems to be against you is just pathetic loser talk. We'll still let them keep their scholarships, so they shouldn't care if we just give up now. Then at 10:30 I'm meeting with President Rawlins again, this time to craft the news release. I'd like to show you the draft before we issue it so I can make sure we've struck the right tone.

RV

That's genius.. a little harsh, but funny chit. Cervezas...

To Rick V:

What a surprise it was, running into you today.

After so many years, and in such an unusual place--my dresser drawer.

But, since you're nothing more now than a name scribbled on a high school play program, I threw you away to make more room for underwear.

Quoner, I have it on good authority that you, too, have been invited to that Victory Hall dorm team meal. In fact, the team captains will be at your front door this AM for a special engraved invitation to deliver to you in person. :unsure:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, but try to convince those that lack knowledge and wisdom to discern the truth. For goodness sake people, we are talking three years of coaching and teaching and it has produced what, 3 wins? Lets, blame it on the kids!!! RIGHT!!

How would you like to make over $250,000 a year at your job and not have to produce any results in a time when people are losing their jobs and houses?

Don't dare blame this on the kids. This is all on the coaches. They lack the communication skills, and the knowledge to teach and guide these kids. If we were talking just one year, ok. But after three years and one more Fall camp don't let yourselves be deceived.

wow, i think we've found the screamer. :rolleyes::whistling1::wacko::argue:

to rv: please forgive some of the radicals. they are a little stressed. :w00t:

Watch what I say? Is that a threat? Take a deep breath and relax. It was a very fluid situation and that is how I remember it. I don't have a problem with what was said but use a better venue.

The game isn't the proper place to yell about the game? Hilarious.

• Upvote 1

I'll say it again. If you have an issue with TD or RV go to the coaches show and tell them. Email them, write a letter, send a candygram. Yelling at the game doesn't get a whole lot accomplished.

Keep saying it. It gets funnier each time you do.

Yelling at the game seemed to get RV's attention pretty good about how much the coaching sucks.

Score one for that a-hole fan.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Don't compare coaching a game to our work-a-day jobs. Do you have 23,000 critics second guessing your every move at your job? Does your job depend on you appeasing 23,000 fans by producing in a game where 1 person succeeds and one person fails? Newsflash - Most of our jobs are not zero-sum scenarios.

So we're supposed to feel sorry for college football coaches now? Sheesh. Does Coach Dodge's job involve carrying people out of burning buildings? Doing life saving operations on kids? Flying a fighter jet? No. There are plenty of jobs more difficult than teaching college students to throw a ball around while thousands of people second guess you.

Dear EagleGreen,

RV

You're a wild and crazy guy.

Shut up? Seriously? You sound like a five year old. I'll say it again. If you have an issue with TD or RV go to the coaches show and tell them. Email them, write a letter, send a candygram. Yelling at the game doesn't get a whole lot accomplished.

Actually, it seemed pretty effective.

Actually, it seemed pretty effective.

Thank you EagleGreen. If it cost me my dignity, if it cost me my pride, if it cost me my standing with those in power than so be it. I yelled as loud as I could because I wanted everyone to hear! Not for me. But for UNT! For the players, the students and alumni. I gave it everything I could last Saturday night. And yes, I understand the consequences. I may be old but time is running out for all of us. We need to play today as if there is no tomorrow. And that means the coaches need to communicate, eye to eye with each and every individual that wears the green and white. If its not important, if it really means nothing, then what the hell are we all doing?

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure how I missed this incident since I sit in Sec.C, but if it indeed went down like some of you have described, then there is no way I could blame RV for his reaction.

He's probably one of the biggest UNT FANS out there right now. I believe he cares deeply for UNT, the coaches, and the players (on all teams).

First, the game situation was extremely frustrating. Then, you have a loudmouth fan who has every right to say the things he did, but not enough brains to shut up after saying them after the first time. If I were RV, I would get fired up as well.

I love RV! His passion rivals only those of us on this board. Lay off of him.

I love RV! His passion rivals only those of us on this board. Lay off of him.

RV's heart is in this gig at UNT....he is the best AD we have ever had...probably ever will have....just look at Athletic village...and consider what he had to work with....those of you who are knocking RV have NO prospective. As for coaches....I just don't think TD is the man, didn't before he was hired and don't now. maybe he will suddenly turn things around like DD did, but I don't think so...if we win, it will probably be in spite of TD...you better hope in doesn't put in RD as QB. If UNT is going to move up, they are going to have to ante up the bucks and get a serious coach....sometimes you get what you pay for...in the case of TD we didn't even get that ! (hows that for English !)

• Upvote 1