To: Rick V

EagleGreen

Rick, I saw you get upset at the end of the game when the fan yelled that our coaches lost the game. You almost lost your cool while starring down the fan. Finally, you just spit on the ground and walked away. Surely, you don't think the players are solely responsible do you. The fan had a valid response, regardless of how he presented it.

Do you realize that Todd Dodge is embarrassing to the Mean Green Nation? He has gone 5-33 at the helm with no end in sight. Please fire Todd on Monday and begin the search for a new coach. Sure, it won't hurt to wait until the end of the season to "evaluate the situation", but showing you are in charge and want to lead this team into a new stadium with hope, real hope, is what the MEAN GREEN NATION needs. Lead us Rick. Give us hope. Fire Todd Dodge on Monday.

• Upvote 15
  • Downvote 29

I was close enough to said fan that I could never have missed a word he bellowed, and I do agree it is his right to say what he did, although I wish he would find a volume knob somewhere. The part where I part from what he did was, while there was still some question as to the physical condition and future health of our starting quarterback, not to mention the stress that injury must have been putting on his parents, was yelling out that "coaches lost the game" at that point. Honestly, it had to be frustrating for every UNT fan in attendance, even to the point of heartbreak for some, but to self appoint oneself to thunder out his pronouncement at that point should be worthy of rebuke.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Rick, I saw you get upset at the end of the game when the fan yelled that our coaches lost the game. You almost lost your cool while starring down the fan. Finally, you just spit on the ground and walked away. Surely, you don't think the players are solely responsible do you. The fan had a valid response, regardless of how he presented it.

Do you realize that Todd Dodge is embarrassing to the Mean Green Nation? He has gone 5-33 at the helm with no end in sight. Please fire Todd on Monday and begin the search for a new coach. Sure, it won't hurt to wait until the end of the season to "evaluate the situation", but showing you are in charge and want to lead this team into a new stadium with hope, real hope, is what the MEAN GREEN NATION needs. Lead us Rick. Give us hope. Fire Todd Dodge on Monday.

our players were most of the reason that we lost the game. besides 3-5 questionable calls on offense, it was all lack of focus from the players. dropped passes, dropped interceptions, bad tackling, bad special team coverage (which could be because of coaching) and a couple of really stupid penalties all coaches can do is put an emphasis on wrapping up and stayin in your lane, they can't do it for them. i'm not saying the past 3 years have been the players fault, but last night it wasn't the coaching that lost the game.

i wish people would think about what possible recruits are thinking that are in attendance, when they start their verbal assaults on players/coaches. i would think it plays a part in their decision of choosing our school over another.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 6

our players were most of the reason that we lost the game. besides 3-5 questionable calls on offense, it was all lack of focus from the players. dropped passes, dropped interceptions, bad tackling, bad special team coverage (which could be because of coaching) and a couple of really stupid penalties all coaches can do is put an emphasis on wrapping up and stayin in your lane, they can't do it for them. i'm not saying the past 3 years have been the players fault, but last night it wasn't the coaching that lost the game.

Who do you think prepares our players for the game, picks the starters, and even recruits them?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Who do you think prepares our players for the game, picks the starters, and even recruits them?

of the things i listed what are coaches supposed to do to prepare the team to watch balls into their hands, wrap up ball carriers and not hit players that are 3 yards out of bounds? who is starting that you think isn't the best option? you're right about recruiting though, they should just sign 5 star recruits and this wouldn't be an issue.

of the things i listed what are coaches supposed to do to prepare the team to watch balls into their hands, wrap up ball carriers and not hit players that are 3 yards out of bounds? who is starting that you think isn't the best option? you're right about recruiting though, they should just sign 5 star recruits and this wouldn't be an issue.

How many practices have you ever watched ?

Not only yes, but hell yes, they even work these fundamentals in the pros. Absolutely this is on the coaches.

These problems should all be fixed in practice and long before now, I have heard for the last several years from parents and others that our practices have not any

where near the intensity of other programs in Texas. Then you watch this crap and it seems to fit. I don't think a well prepared team makes that many mistakes, and we are not young.

How many practices have you ever watched ?

none, but i've heard plenty that we don't spend enough time on tackling drills.

Not only yes, but hell yes, they even work these fundamentals in the pros. Absolutely this is on the coaches.

These problems should all be fixed in practice and long before now, I have heard for the last several years from parents and others that our practices have not any

where near the intensity of other programs in Texas. Then you watch this crap and it seems to fit. I don't think a well prepared team makes that many mistakes, and we are not young.

they do coach it in the pros, but when roy williams drops a pass, they don't blame the wr coach...it's chalked up to a lack of concentration. if roy williams (the safety) tried to light someone up instead of just wrapping up and tackling they didn't blame the dc. and when was the last time you heard someone blame the coaches for hitting someone out of bounds in the pro's. my point is you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Edited by Green Crazy

none, but i've heard plenty that we don't spend enough time on tackling drills.

they do coach it in the pros, but when roy williams drops a pass, they don't blame the wr coach...it's chalked up to a lack of concentration. if roy williams (the safety) tried to light someone up instead of just wrapping up and tackling they didn't blame the dc. and when was the last time you heard someone blame the coaches for hitting someone out of bounds in the pro's. my point is you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Sure they blame the coaches in the pros and the players in the pros, we had an epidemic of this mistakes last night it is the coaches period, if it was just one or two players I see blaming those players.

Edited by KingDL1

Sure they blame the coaches in the pros and the players in the pros, we had an epidemic of this mistakes last night it is the coaches period, if it was just one or two players I see blaming those players.

then when do mistakes fall on the players?

Edited by Green Crazy

then when do mistakes fall on the players?

When it is reoccurring with just one player, and if he can't fix it with the help of the coaches you bench him and let him think about it. A well prepared team does not make these kind of mistakes, the problem yesterday was at a team level.

You don't know embarrassment, EagleGreen, you shoulda' been around here in 1981 with a 1 year coach who had 1 win and almost got us on NCAA probation to boot! That was (as Popeye would say) "embarraskin." :)

Prediction: Rick V will not fire Todd Dodge on Monday or the next Monday or the next. If Todd Dodge goes 0 & 5, Rick V will probably still not fire him but rather (silently) start his private search for Coach Dodge's successor knowing how important that hire would be as we are on the eve of having a grand opening for a new football palace being built by the same people who built the Dallas Cowboy's jewel over in Arlington.

Rick V has taken the worst AD job in NCAA D1 and made it a good job. He will probably move on to a more high profile job one day in the future. Yet.......for UNT to be building a new stadium during this national economy (near depression) is short of a miracle. I look for Rick V & Company to find a corporate sponsor in due time that will divvy up UNT's $30 million minimum amount requirement (which is what I saw as the minimum amount in some UNT publication). IMO, our stadium location makes that amount do-able.

Someone already posted it but UNT has been a coaches graveyard except for Fry and Moore (who was only here 2 years). So, if Dodge is terminated, we really need to do the most extensive search for a HFC in our history so we have someone who somebody else wants to hire and FWIW..........that's when you know you've got something. NOTE: Boise State had 5 HFC's in the space of 10 years and did not miss a lick with their football success--that alone is one of the great success stories in NCAA history.

Let Rick V do his thing...he's shown that he can.

GMG!

Yes, all quite true.

When it is reoccurring with just one player, and if he can't fix it with the help of the coaches you bench him and let him think about it. A well prepared team does not make these kind of mistakes, the problem yesterday was at a team level.

i see your point, i just think that all the coaching in the world wouldn't have made jackson not take his eyes off the ball when he was wide open and behind the secondary. that's like an outfielder dropping a routine pop fly...it's lack of concentration.

It seems we have more fan/coach fan/AD altercations/interactions than any other Div 1 University I can think of. Or maybe I just hear it about more because it is my Alma Mater. Either way, it's weird.

I think we just hear about them more.

Sometimes the AD's don't hold back on their responses to these outbursts. Check out this from Aggie AD Bill Byrne.

i see your point, i just think that all the coaching in the world wouldn't have made jackson not take his eyes off the ball when he was wide open and behind the secondary. that's like an outfielder dropping a routine pop fly...it's lack of concentration.

When we are 5 - 33 there is plenty of blame to throw around. Coaches,players,injuries,refs,fans,adm,etc etc etc

Maybe we should get a new AD and move Rick to full time stadium director guy?

Sounds good to me.

I prefer an AD that:

1) Actually raises some money and doesn't require a semi-shady UNT loan to complete the AC.

2) Raises money for the stadium, instead of solely depending on a student fee before proceeding.

3) Doesn't hire a low budget high school coach AND ALLOWED him to bring his entire HS staff with him.

4) When said HS coach and staff are failing, doesn't stomp up and down the field showing the displeasure of his hire.

5) Sits up in the box where he belongs

6) Follows up with his promises (quarterly meetings, "blogs", and the such)

I was looking at the donor list and noticed some missing names this year. In fact, looking around section E, I didn't see these "high profile" people either. Struck me odd.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 3

Sounds good to me.

I prefer an AD that:

1) Actually raises some money and doesn't require a semi-shady UNT loan to complete the AC.

2) Raises money for the stadium, instead of solely depending on a student fee before proceeding.

3) Doesn't hire a low budget high school coach AND ALLOWED him to bring his entire HS staff with him.

4) When said HS coach and staff are failing, doesn't stomp up and down the field showing the displeasure of his hire.

5) Sits up in the box where he belongs

6) Follows up with his promises (quarterly meetings, "blogs", and the such)

I was looking at the donor list and noticed some missing names this year. In fact, looking around section E, I didn't see these "high profile" people either. Struck me odd.

BOOM, roasted!

Slow down, I only get 5 plus-ones a day.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1